Glock 19 barrels that actually like 115gr?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    It may be an old wives tale, but my Grampa told me long ago (late 80's) to only shoot 124gr 9MM if I wanted it to operate correctly.

When asked why, his response was "9mm was originally a military sidearm. The Military shoots 124GR, so that's why they are designed to use"...

Now, again..Gramps told me some old wise tales where I knew he was full of it, but I always let him go on......He passed away in 93 and I miss him often.

Rong

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    NE Indiana
    Ok so I can kind of answer your question. I have a storm lake barrel that I shoot 115s out of almost exclusively because that is what I have on hand. Not threaded but it is in my g23. So I don't know how their g19 barrels are but I love my conversion barrel. Groups very well.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I picked-up a Storm Lake 9mm Conversion barrel for my G-23 a few years ago and found that it was a lot more accurate than my Glock 19 factory barrel.

I had a LWD 9mm Conversion Barrel for my Glock 27 for a bit...it was fairly accurate for a short-barreled pistol.

I find that, unless one is shooting high-quality JHP's in 9mm...that .40 tends to be more accurate...at least for me.

My Glock 36 in .45 acp is, by far, the most accurate semi-auto I own....followed closely by my Ruger P-97 DAO in .45 acp...both are pretty good tack-drivers!

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I haven't shot WWB in several years, that could be the issue but I doubt that is the problem. If you want to meet at Point blank some time I have some ideas but easier to show you than tell you. You probably wouldn't believe me anyway. ;) Send me a text and maybe we can find a time we are both available to meet.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    There was a large test conducted on barrels last year. I'll see if I can find it to link.

But results were KKM was the overall best. It was the best in the 115 gr., 4th in 124 gr. 2nd in the 147gr.

Second place overall was blacklist industries. It was #1 in 147gr category.

Stock glock was in top 5 but almost last for 115 gr.

Here is the link. Finally found it.

Barrel Race 2017 ? Victory Gun Blog

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    AAR:

I finally got a chance to try out My various flavors.

115WWB
    124 Freedom Munitions
    124 IMI
    147 Freedom Munitions

But first, I spent a solid 10 minutes scrubbing my barrel with Ultra-Klenz and a bore brush.

Using a bag rest to support the barrel, I found that suddenly my 115s appeared to be the tightest groups. at 7yds :scratch:

I was getting 2" groups now with 115s, and 3" with 124s. No appreciable differenence between brands.

Thanks for everyone's help. I'll continue to watch and see what happens. Maybe I just had a bad batch?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    AAR:

115WWB
    124 Freedom Munitions
    124 IMI
    147 Freedom Munitions

But first, I spent a solid 10 minutes scrubbing my barrel with Ultra-Klenz and a bore brush.

Using a bag rest to support the barrel, I found that suddenly my 115s appeared to be the tightest groups. at 7yds :scratch:

I was getting 2" groups now with 115s, and 3" with 124s. No appreciable differenence between brands.

Thanks for everyone's help. I'll continue to watch and see what happens. Maybe I just had a bad batch?

It's possible you just had a dirty barrel? Either way, glad you're tightening up those groups. We all go through this stuff. It's good to pay attention to everyone's ailments and cures.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    AAR:

115WWB
    124 Freedom Munitions
    124 IMI
    147 Freedom Munitions

Not a Glock guy, but have heard the barrels don't like to be dirty. Has anyone ever chrono'd the WWB or Freedom 115 to get an idea of just how bad the std deviation is?

45Cat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Most of my Glocks in whatever caliber will do under two and a half inches at 25 yards. I have one gen 2 19 that with Federal 9MMBPLE (115 grain) will do just barely over an inch from the bench at that distance.

WWB is not the best.

Doesn't sound like you reload. If you anything much in the way of mechanical skills, reloading can really help.

Cat

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Most of my Glocks in whatever caliber will do under two and a half inches at 25 yards. I have one gen 2 19 that with Federal 9MMBPLE (115 grain) will do just barely over an inch from the bench at that distance.

WWB is not the best.

Doesn't sound like you reload. If you anything much in the way of mechanical skills, reloading can really help.

Cat

I have never seen a Glock shoot anywhere near 1 inch at 25. That is pretty awesome.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Oh... So groups snugged up when shooting from a rest, huh? :D

https://trainmdfi.com/courses/2017-ysintg/

Maybe this year is the year that I will train with MDFI. I hear a lot of really good stuff about them, and have been at the range teaching at the same time they were, but have never attended one of their offerings. This would be the one I would be most interested in going to as I feel it would tell me the most about them as teachers.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I never had a problem with WWB or Blazer Brass 115gr out of mine. I have a SilencerCo barrel on it now. My 115gr hand loads seem to perform very well as do the 147gr hand loads. I don't shoot reloads out of the factory barrel any more (unsupported chamber).

You said "supported". Does that mean in a rest or just hands against something stationary? When I put new sights on my G19, with factory ammo, I was in a rest at BGF and the accuracy was pretty incredible.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Maybe this year is the year that I will train with MDFI. I hear a lot of really good stuff about them, and have been at the range teaching at the same time they were, but have never attended one of their offerings. This would be the one I would be most interested in going to as I feel it would tell me the most about them as teachers.

Their teaching staff has changed considerably since I trained with them years ago. Steve Fisher was the lead guy back then. I honestly have no idea how they are again. But I'd love to take the YSINTG class (I had Handgun 1, I believe).

For YOU, it'll also help you to teach YOUR students.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Isn't Trek still with MDFI? He wasn't at YSINTG when I took it, but was down doing his own thing for a less lethal class another time. I thought he was a good teacher. He has a YouTube presence of his own and with the Practically Tactical guys.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Isn't Trek still with MDFI? He wasn't at YSINTG when I took it, but was down doing his own thing for a less lethal class another time. I thought he was a good teacher. He has a YouTube presence of his own and with the Practically Tactical guys.

I do believe that Trek is now the HMFIC at MDFI.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You said "supported". Does that mean in a rest or just hands against something stationary? When I put new sights on my G19, with factory ammo, I was in a rest at BGF and the accuracy was pretty incredible.

I tried both hands on the bench, as well as resting the dust cover/trigger guard on a sandbag.

Top Bottom