• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier9364

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Henry Co
    Glock still makes a new 19 in a gen 3. Anyone know if the gen 3 still has the tenifer finish and not like the gen 4 parkerized finish? Is there any internal difference in a old gen 3 vs a new gen 3? Thanks

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    All glocks have the tennifer finish. The difference everyone talks about is the finish covering the tennifer. Older gen 3s had a thicker cosmetic coat which didn't get scratched up as easily. I believe both are the same now.

Hoosier9364

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Henry Co
    So your saying that the new Gen 3 is not the thick finish like it was 10-15 years ago? About what year did they change this? Has Glock said why they changed the finish?

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    A) the ferritic nitrocarburizing on many many many pistol slides isn't a coating, it is a metal treatment. It's IN the steel, not on it.

B) Glock did change the exterior coating at some point, yes. I'm not a glockophile, so I couldn't tell you when.

C) the all USA made Glocks don't get Tenifer-treated at all anyhow; they're Melonited. (different trade names for the same basic ferritic nitrocarburizing proceedure)

Hoosier9364

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Henry Co
    Has anyone had problems with the new gen 4 slides rusting or scratching up real bad? I suppose someone could have somebody re-coat a gen 4 slide.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Has anyone had problems with the new gen 4 slides rusting or scratching up real bad? I suppose someone could have somebody re-coat a gen 4 slide.
    Scratching, yes a little, rusting, no. Melonite as stated earlier is the same process as tenifer, that's what resists corrosion more than the applied surface"paint" if you will.

Top Bottom