• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HMMurdock

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Greenwood aka G-Wood
    I shoot revolvers....These threads where firearms don't work are alien to me.....

I’ve had two revolvers “jam” on me. Swing arm bent (if that’s a thing? — it’s been several years). I stopped carrying revolvers after those incidents. I’m not hating on wheel guns, but I’ve found semi’s easier to clear a malfunction when it happens and I never got the hang of speed loader reloads. But I’ve found revolvers not to be 100% reliable either.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I’ve had two revolvers “jam” on me. Swing arm bent (if that’s a thing? — it’s been several years). I stopped carrying revolvers after those incidents. I’m not hating on wheel guns, but I’ve found semi’s easier to clear a malfunction when it happens and I never got the hang of speed loader reloads. But I’ve found revolvers not to be 100% reliable either.

I've heard of that...Never experienced it though......

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    No mechanical device is 100% reliable. Reliability, or lack of us usually caused by ammunition or magazines IF you have a quality firearm. Training for the possibility of a malfunction no matter you are carrying is a good plan. As you stated if a malfunction occurs a semi auto is usually quicker to get back in the fight with than a revolver.
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

HMMurdock

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Greenwood aka G-Wood
    Whelp, went back out to the range this morning and not a single issue. I’m not trying Midwest Ammo again until maybe it gets a bit more broken in. 100 rounds of various 9mm FMJ and hollowpoints, including some +P. Accurate as Hell and not even a hint of a hiccup. I re-lubed (used Hoppes #9 because I still have plenty on hand and just used a few different ammo brands. Thanks, all!

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Whelp, went back out to the range this morning and not a single issue. I’m not trying Midwest Ammo again until maybe it gets a bit more broken in. 100 rounds of various 9mm FMJ and hollowpoints, including some +P. Accurate as Hell and not even a hint of a hiccup. I re-lubed (used Hoppes #9 because I still have plenty on hand and just used a few different ammo brands. Thanks, all!
    Do yourself a favor and avoid the Midwest ammo. I've settled on Aguila but any factory ammo should run flawlessly in it. You'll also find that 124 GR will be more reliable.
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I believe Midwest is what Point Blank sells cheap for their range. I had a brand new G26 G4 that I broke in at their Greenwood range. It would not reliably feed in the gun and would cause jamming issues. Range guy said the ammo is very soft and they see that in other guns as well. Switched over to PMC that session and never had anymore issues.

I wont buy that stuff anymore.

Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Midwest Ammunition 115gr RN.

I'm a Glock armorer and Midwest ammo does not play nice with the Marksman barrels on the Gen 5's. They tend to use what bullet 'seconds' they can get from their various suppliers and some of them cause major FTF/FTE issues. I've even seen rounds that won't allow the gun to go into battery. This is the main reason why we strongly discourage anything other than first-quality factory ammunition.

HMMurdock

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Greenwood aka G-Wood
    ....of course mine are all Sigs. :):

I have the worst luck in the world. I was a cop on the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department and one day on an annual qualification my “Sig-Sauer Certified Used” Sig P220 ST .45 from Sig catastrophically failed at the range. The thick pin that holds the slide on sheared mid-qualification. Literally broke in two on the range. I got a replacement Glock 17C 9mm and got a 97% score at qual with the 17C, a pistol I had never touched before in my life. That’s when I really got into Glocks.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I have the worst luck in the world. I was a cop on the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department and one day on an annual qualification my “Sig-Sauer Certified Used” Sig P220 ST .45 from Sig catastrophically failed at the range. The thick pin that holds the slide on sheared mid-qualification. Literally broke in two on the range. I got a replacement Glock 17C 9mm and got a 97% score at qual with the 17C, a pistol I had never touched before in my life. That’s when I really got into Glocks.

Dang! That is really bad luck.
    You know that like.... never happens. :lmfao:

HMMurdock

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Greenwood aka G-Wood
    Dang! That is really bad luck.
    You know that like.... never happens. :lmfao:

On the LVMPD and two separate military units I have earned the nickname “Murphy’s Law”. If it can go wrong it will.

I’ve had Revolvers break, Sigs break, and Glocks and even AK-47’s be Jam-o-matics. And I do maintain my Firearms well. I think I was Genghis Khan in another life or something and Karma is catching up.

allthumbs

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2019
    NW, IN
    On the LVMPD and two separate military units I have earned the nickname “Murphy’s Law”. If it can go wrong it will.

I’ve had Revolvers break, Sigs break, and Glocks and even AK-47’s be Jam-o-matics. And I do maintain my Firearms well. I think I was Genghis Khan in another life or something and Karma is catching up.

I'm rather new to guns compared to a lot of posters, (10 years ) because I lived in IL. I have seen many failures already and had 2 revolvers break on me. My worst was a S&W SDVE40, never got that right and gifted it to a friend. I think anything that is mass produced is subject to problems.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Out of curiosity, it would be safe to assume their hollowpoints are of similar ‘quality’?
    Avoiding the Midwest altogether would be my suggestion. If you have any other problems let me know what's going on and I'll be happy to supply opinions/suggestions. Personally I prefer a Gen 3 RSA setup in the Gen 4s and 5s for reliability in anything I carry. Just my personal experience but I've found that RSA to be more forgiving with different weight bullets as well as types and brands of ammo.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]

Top Bottom