• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thekuhnburger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    West Lafayette
    there have been a lot of questions on the reliability of the 19 Gen 4 shooting light practice loads. I would trust my life to one any day. I believe they changed the strength of the spring so those issues have been addressed now. Again, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

RyanV

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    La Porte County
    I'm very happy with my 3rd generation G19. I've put thousands of rounds through it with no issues. I know several people who have 4th generation G19's and no issues with them either.

JJGatesE30

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 22, 2010
    there have been a lot of questions on the reliability of the 19 Gen 4 shooting light practice loads.

Yes, the #3 spring (I'm pretty sure) is the one with the problems, I saw this first hand with mine, winchester white box. I guess if you get one of the latest ones they have fixed the problem with a #4 spring. I have heard if you have a #3 you can request a #4 from Glock for free. I was going to do it but my spring must have "wore in" because I don't have any issues any more.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    On the used market the 2nd Gens are GTG too. I have 2 G19s from the early '90s that are still going strong, never had any issues.... other than running out of ammo !!

thekuhnburger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    West Lafayette
    are their much differences between 3 and 4 or is it just price?

The biggest difference between the gen 3 and 4 is the recoil springs. The recoil springs in the gen 4 are dual recoil springs (one is contained inside the other). A couple people I've talked to says this noticeably reduces the recoil. Also, the mag release is different and there are replaceable backstraps for different sized hands. Oh, and the grip is better on the Gen4. Anything I missed? oh well, you get the idea.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    If I was going to be buying another Glock, it would be a Gen 3 but, that's just personal preference. They are all reliable pistols.

hickuleas

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    deep in the woods
    The people who i value their opinion the most on Glocks(LEO/MIL) say stay away from gen 4's. The gen 3 19's have worked flawlessly for me. But i have heard the problems have been corrected on the gen 4's shipping now.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have both a Gen 2 and a Gen 3 Love them both! :rockwoot:
    I personally do not like the Gen 4 models and doubt I will ever own one. I like the Gen 2s the best. Good luck with your decision. Anyway you go they all rock! :D :koolaid:

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    I've had a Gen3 19 for over 10 years and 1000rds and never had a problem

10 years and 1000rds!!! I have never owned a handgun that didn't get 1000rds shot through it within 1-2 months...

I will give you a free box of ammo, cause you need to shoot more.

If the grip on the Gen 3's fits your hand, I wouldn't give the 4's a second nod. Make sure your Gen 4 Glock has a spring stamped 04.

fire259

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Brown County
    Glock_Generations.jpg

Mr.Strato

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    To answer your question on cost, Glock does NOT charge it's GSSF members or it's Certified Armors or Purchasers under their "LEO/American Guardian" program more for a gen 4.
    I've heard all sorts of crazy stories about some gunshops charging a premium.

Tranquillity308

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    Martinsville
    are their much differences between 3 and 4 or is it just price?

People have already answered this question for you, but I need to emphasize the importance of the backstraps. According to my Mas Ayoob book :), Gaston Glock designed the Glock to be fired with the pad of the index finger. Mas recommends using that first crease of the index finger to pull the trigger, for better control and accuracy. I guess I have average-ish sized hands (i'm 5'10") G19 gen4 allows me to do this with no backstraps on the gun. I think this is a huge advantage over the older generations that gets overlooked sometimes.

Yes, the #3 spring (I'm pretty sure) is the one with the problems, I saw this first hand with mine, winchester white box. I guess if you get one of the latest ones they have fixed the problem with a #4 spring. I have heard if you have a #3 you can request a #4 from Glock for free. I was going to do it but my spring must have "wore in" because I don't have any issues any more.

Yes, the 03 spring is the one with problems, but not everyone has problems with them. They are ways to avoid the FTEs: rack the slide many, many times when it's new (I know, a pain, but it works), leave the slide open on the gun for a while, and break the new spring in with stronger practice ammo than the underpowered Federal Champion. Mine came with the 03 spring and I did the first two steps for a day, then shot it the next day with WWB and it ran 100%.

From what I'm reading all over the gun forums, Glock is also being really good at correcting the situation and sending those springs out hassle free.

Top Bottom