• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doctrpt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Cope, IN
    Ok guys, I've figured out that a Glock 19 will be my next purchase. Now, the question is, should I look for a Gen 3 gun, or go with a new Gen 4 gun? Is there something about one of these two guns that would make me happier? For background, I own a Glock 26, which I love, but which is just a touch small for me. I put grip extenders on the mags, and that has helped, but I al just certain that a Glock 19 will meet the needs a little better. The 26 is a Gen3 gun, but the Gen4 26 is so close, I really saw little need for the newer design. I also own an old IJ-70 Makarov that I just LOVE. But, I want a little more power, and the Makarov is a great pistol, but doesn't have the stopping power of a full 9 MM.

Suggestions and insights welcomed! Thanks!

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    i notice that the 4th gen did not affect the firing capabilities of the firearm. (pretty solid since gen2). it only had an end result on the grip, and a recoil spring that i personally did not notice a difference in from 3rd gen 9mm to 4th gen 9mm. however; if you do have a preference to changing how a firearm feels in you hands, spend the extra 50 bucks or so and get a newer glock. you wont be disappointed either way. :)

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    Generally, the gen 3 will be a little cheaper, and the guide rod isn't the spring over spring. Some folks like the gen 3 because it just plain runs out of the box, and doesn't need a break in period like the gen 4.

devildog178

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Henry Co
    I prefer the Gen 4 because the new grip design does not move around during recoil like Gen 3 does. Muzzle flips seems slightly less because of the dual springs but not by much. Bottom line....Gen 4 is the way to go. My :twocents: at least.

chevy46514

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    I personally have a Gen 3, and I can shoot one large ragged hole at center mass at 10-15 yards. It's impressively accurate.

tdoom15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    The gen 4's have had widespread issues, not just internet rumors either. Consensus is that if you buy one, it's a crap shoot, but try to get one produced after feb, 2012. Issues may not pop up for 3-4k rounds, so buy at your own risk and knowing ahead of time that you may have to be proactive in finding resolutions to your problems.

The new production gen 3's are subject to the same issues, though doesn't seem to be quite as common. General consensus here is try and get a gently used pre 2010 gun and you'll be good to go.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    In a Gen4, just make sure it has the newest spring and extractor.

Just picked up my GSSF Gen4 G34 and it has both, shoots like a champ.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    How are you planning on using this new Glock?

I've tried the RTF style frame and wouldn't want to conceal it.. if you were going to carry openly or use it for competition or home defense and didn't have to worry about it messing up fabric, I'd be all for it. If it were going to be concealed, though, I think it's just a little too rough..

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I just did similar in the last couple of weeks as I have a Gen 3 27, and picked up a Gen 3 23 as its companion.

In my opinion, I did not need anything the Gen 4 had, so decided to stay Gen 3. I picked up a Talo edition with the only difference in this particular Talo being the sights ( pistol-training.com » Blog Archive » Glock 17 gen4 Endurance Test: Week 34 ).

Ameriglo-Both-Sights-Small-232x350.jpg

I'd personally stay with a Gen 3, unless you are in particular need/want of the RTF. Also, if you want an option for a different texture, you could look into the Talon Grips. I'm contemplating ordering a set of the rubber textured for my 27, and if I like them may then pick up a set for the 23.

Last edited:

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Generally, the gen 3 will be a little cheaper, and the guide rod isn't the spring over spring. Some folks like the gen 3 because it just plain runs out of the box, and doesn't need a break in period like the gen 4.

Break in period? I heard that when I bought my 17, disassembled it, cleaned out all the factory grease, did the couple drops lube.
    I locked the slide back for 24 hours because I heard that was a way to diminish the new spring pressure a bit.
    Not sure any of that mattered but it works, now it has the updated spring.

My 19, I decided to go the opposite direction as a test.
    I took it out of the box, loaded all three magazines, and proceeded to shoot.
    After no problems, I loaded all three again and repeated. Again no problems. So far not a single hiccup even though the previous process has been repeated many times over.:twocents:

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    I really like shooting the .45 ACPs, and I only own 2 9mm pistols; a 1988 Gen1 G17 that I bought new and rebuilt last Summer (to celebrate Glock's 25th US Anniversary), and a G19, 3rd gen. My Favorite Fun-Gun pistol has to be the G19. It's a blast to shoot, with 15 or 33 rnd magazines. And I do not feel undergunned when i choose to carry it as my 2nd choice EDC.

KW12

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Northside Indy
    I got a gen4 G17 recently. My first gun (aside from the 22/45), and I haven't done any shooting yet. From the first impression I can say that I don't like the new grip. Gen3 that I shot before and the M&P I looked at felt much more comfortable. The new Glock grips feel too rough.

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I got a gen4 G17 recently. My first gun (aside from the 22/45), and I haven't done any shooting yet. From the first impression I can say that I don't like the new grip. Gen3 that I shot before and the M&P I looked at felt much more comfortable. The new Glock grips feel too rough.

that is exactly what is great about it. I don't want a gun slipping around in my hand no matter what the conditions.
    A little weight training will toughen up those hands...

runt6213

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Get a gen3 its cheaper and will be more comfortable than the gen4 grips.
    You don't really need all the little changes that the gen4 has.

KW12

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Northside Indy
    that is exactly what is great about it. I don't want a gun slipping around in my hand no matter what the conditions.
    A little weight training will toughen up those hands...
    :cool:
    I'm taking it to the range tomorrow, will see how it behaves. That said, I think I'd prefer a smooth rubberized type of grip to the plastic texture. No problem holding it, just a matter of what's comfortable.

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Gen 3 for me just my preference.
    Regarding pinky extensions for G26 (OP) they are not all created equal. I've tried a couple of different types +1, +2 and they all did as advertised but I have finally settled for a +0 but with extended extension which feels fantastic (PG-26XL).
    My :twocents:

doctrpt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Cope, IN
    Gen 3 for me just my preference.
    Regarding pinky extensions for G26 (OP) they are not all created equal. I've tried a couple of different types +1, +2 and they all did as advertised but I have finally settled for a +0 but with extended extension which feels fantastic (PG-26XL).
    My :twocents:
    I put two of the Piece Glock extension you mention above on the standard mags about a month ago and it helps tremendously. I also bought 2 +2 Glock mags, and they too extend and make the 26 easier to handle. For the 26, the larger diameter of the grip for the gen3 gun feels better. I was at "Shootin' Iron Shop" in Martinsville today to arrange a gun transfer, and looked at and held both guns. The gen4 grips feel better to my hands, and I am thinking that with one of the Pachmayr Tactical Grips (put it on my 26 and LOVE it) on the gen4 19, the rougher texture will be nullified. I looked at a 17 as well, but I just don't see myself carrying that large a weapon and feeling comfortable doing so for CC or OC.

Top Bottom