• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    In before "MuH gRiP aNgLe!"

I have both. Love the grit of the Smith and Wesson grip but hate the grit of the Smith and Wesson trigger. Optic cut and suppressor sights are nice though.

Thicker grip on the Glock seems to produce less felt recoil (could just be my fan boy hands though) and the familiarity with the Glock platform means I'll probably part with the Smith at some point.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Each to their own.
    I had a Glock 20 Gen3 for several years and never had any trouble with it.
    But as soon as I bought an M&P 4.6" 10mm and fired it, I knew I was selling my Glock 20 Gen 3, and I did last Sunday.

The M&P fits my hand like a glove, the grip angle works better for me, and the M&P is less "chunky" too.

The M&P also has MUCH BETTER chamber support too!
    M+P10mm46Chamber.jpg

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Each to their own.
    I had a Glock 20 Gen3 for several years and never had any trouble with it.
    But as soon as I bought an M&P 4.6" 10mm and fired it, I knew I was selling my Glock 20 Gen 3, and I did last Sunday.

The M&P fits my hand like a glove, the grip angle works better for me, and the M&P is less "chunky" too.

The M&P also has MUCH BETTER chamber support too!
    View attachment 186886
    Thanks for the report on the chamber support I was wondering about that. It is a plus for me because I reload almost all my 10mm.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    In before "MuH gRiP aNgLe!"

I have both. Love the grit of the Smith and Wesson grip but hate the grit of the Smith and Wesson trigger. Optic cut and suppressor sights are nice though.

Thicker grip on the Glock seems to produce less felt recoil (could just be my fan boy hands though) and the familiarity with the Glock platform means I'll probably part with the Smith at some point.
    mischievous-sinister.gif

SpinDrift762

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 4, 2022
    Brownsburg
    Both are solid choices. I’ve owned two Glock 40’s (6” 10mm) and loved both. They were accurate to over 210 yards from a rest.

You’re gonna start splitting hairs, but I think the Glock is going to take the win if you’re looking for a hard use pistol that’s going to be subjected to extremely high round counts and/or prolonged exposure to rugged environmental conditions.

The Smith and Wesson is gonna be your best bet if you don’t need the extreme end of the Glock’s endurance, and want a more ergonomic and comfortable handgun.

There’s really not a bad choice to be made, I’d honestly let it come down to which one you like more holding them side by side in a shop.

I’d bought the Glock because I wanted my sidearm to survive being rained on for a week, me sliding down a muddy embankment, trudging through a river and not being cleaned until I get home. The Glock was bred for that crap, but honestly the MP 10mm will probably fare just fine doing the same.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Both are solid choices. I’ve owned two Glock 40’s (6” 10mm) and loved both. They were accurate to over 210 yards from a rest.

You’re gonna start splitting hairs, but I think the Glock is going to take the win if you’re looking for a hard use pistol that’s going to be subjected to extremely high round counts and/or prolonged exposure to rugged environmental conditions.

The Smith and Wesson is gonna be your best bet if you don’t need the extreme end of the Glock’s endurance, and want a more ergonomic and comfortable handgun.

There’s really not a bad choice to be made, I’d honestly let it come down to which one you like more holding them side by side in a shop.

I’d bought the Glock because I wanted my sidearm to survive being rained on for a week, me sliding down a muddy embankment, trudging through a river and not being cleaned until I get home. The Glock was bred for that crap, but honestly the MP 10mm will probably fare just fine doing the same.
    I still own some Glocks, models 19 gen 5, 19X, 30, 32, 33, and 40.
    And you DEFINITELY can't go wrong with either of them in terms of dependability.

And yes, Glocks have their issues too.
    I bought a new Glock 21 Gen 3 several years ago that out of the box couldn't even shoot a full magazine without jamming.
    I sent it back, and their "fix" improved it, but it still would jam enough I couldn't trust it.
    So I sold it to a friend with FULL disclosure and he finally had a gunsmith work on it to finally get it to run right.

But in my case, I prefer the M&P because it's more shootable for me, and plenty rugged enough for my purposes.

And the 10mm Glocks don't have good chamber support compared to the M&P 10mm or the Springfield Armory XD-M Elite 3.8" (which I replaced my Glock 29 gen 3 with).

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I am really liking everything about the M&P except for the trigger. yes, it sucks. I will be swapping mine out for an apex. It started out gritty with every pull but after some firing and a lot of dry firing, the pull is now inconsistent. Sometimes its gritty, sometimes it isn't.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've owned 2 G20s and despite really wanting to like them, I found that I didn't like shooting them. Both were sold and not missed.

Over the years and north of 60 something handguns, Glocks were not the high water mark in reliability despite something like 11 of them passing through the collection. 9mm CZs and .45 1911s were more reliable across the board than Glocks in general. My Glock 23s were near perfect though.

My next 10mm will most likely be a P220

SpinDrift762

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 4, 2022
    Brownsburg
    I've shot the G20. Didn't care for it to much. From the reports I've seen, the M&P 10mm has a slightly tamer recoil. It's one of those "just because" purchases for me. lol
    If you get either pistol treat it like shooting a large magnum: lock up your wrists and absorb the recoil with slightly bent elbows. If you manage the recoil effectively on a 10mm with full house loads, it’s really pleasant to shoot. Like the recoil of an M1A vs an AR15.

I’ve never pulled the trigger on a G20, but I’ve heard it’s a little stouter than the G40 I had.

If it’s a just because pistol, I’d really look at a 1911 or the P220. But if you’re set on the G-wagon or the Smith, try the G40 and MP 10mm at a range and and see what recoils best for you.

Also, I primarily shot 40s&w in mine for practice, and it was like shooting weak 9mm loads!

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    If you get either pistol treat it like shooting a large magnum: lock up your wrists and absorb the recoil with slightly bent elbows. If you manage the recoil effectively on a 10mm with full house loads, it’s really pleasant to shoot. Like the recoil of an M1A vs an AR15.

I’ve never pulled the trigger on a G20, but I’ve heard it’s a little stouter than the G40 I had.

If it’s a just because pistol, I’d really look at a 1911 or the P220. But if you’re set on the G-wagon or the Smith, try the G40 and MP 10mm at a range and and see what recoils best for you.

Also, I primarily shot 40s&w in mine for practice, and it was like shooting weak 9mm loads!
    I owned a G20 and a G40 up until I sold my G20 last Sunday after replacing it with an M&P 10mm 4.6".

To me, especially with 200 grain Underwood hard cast bullets, the G40 has a stouter recoil.
    But that's just me, and others may have other experiences.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I have a couple of 1911s in 10mm. Went through a G20. Have the M&P. I consider the P220 the Cadillac of 10mm pistols out there now.

I havn't handled a P220, but if it's the Cadillac, the DW's must be the BMW ! The black one here with the Hogue grips is the best balanced handgun I've ever shot.

DW BLACK.jpg

DW TART.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Wonder how much of these 10mm gun arguments are based on what gun the user carries in 9mm for EDC?

My very limited experience shooting 10mm left me loving the G20 I shot. I was not ready to like the 10mm, much less a fatter Glock. I do EDC a G45/G19 though.

Unless my mind is changed before it happens, (if it does,) I believe I'm holding out for Glock to come out with their G29 in a Gen5/MOS version?

Last edited:

SpinDrift762

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 4, 2022
    Brownsburg
    Wonder how much of these 10mm gun arguments are based on what gun the user carries in 9mm for EDC?

My very limited experience shooting 10mm left me loving the G20 I shot. I was not ready to like the 10mm, much less a fatter Glock. I do EDC a G45/G19 though.

Unless my mind is changed before it happens, (if it does,) I believe I'm holding out for Glock to come out with their G29 in a Gen5/MOS version?

You won’t go wrong with the Glock. The grips are a little on the thick side, but the pistols are top notch, if it’s your preference then rock and roll.

Top Bottom