• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    On that note I think I would rather have the 17 for the extra BB's...

Me, too. :)

Bigger is better only until its not.

Exactly. Bigger is better (yes, that's what she said.) More is better (yes, that's what she said.) The only question is, for any particular problem which is mo' betta? Is bigger more better than more? Or is more more better than bigger? Depends on the problem you have to solve, I suppose.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Carried a G21 till my PD went G22. The G22 was also a dependable move, all of the officers standardized on the 40 cal platform. Dept Range Officer was now only buying 40 cal for quals instead of 9mm, 45acp, 357 Mag, and 40 cal. Carry ammo was issued and we rotated every six months. Always fired, no issues.

Sold my G21, bought a G27 for BUG. Also a fine firearm. After time passed(11 yrs), missed the G21 though. Upon retiring, sold the G27. No Glocks in the house till I added a G19 to my collection. Great lightweight IWB firearm. 9mm, but who cares?

Just bought another G21 couple months back. Really did like the slight heft of the gun, and 13 rd mags are no slouch. Still had a couple of holsters from the early 90's that were almost new.

Now the G21, and G19 are a combo. A Ruger LCP also goes along as a BUG. Not paranoid, but prepared.

Best of all worlds.

seamusalaska

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    East Central IN
    My wife has the 21sf. It's her favorite pistol followed closely by the Ruger P90 dc/safety. But, she doesn't carry them. Her favorite carry is the Glock 19. Size does matter. snort

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Indianapolis
    My first handgun was a SW Model 19. The recoil of my Glock 21 Gen3 is very comparable to the Model 19 when shooting .38 wadcutters. If anything, the Glock has slightly less recoil than that one. At least that is the way it feels to me.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    I carry a gen4 21 almost daily. Most accurate pistol I own and what I shoot the best. Also has one of the best capacity of any 45s out there. Hard to beat 14+1 :D

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Me, too. :)

Exactly. Bigger is better (yes, that's what she said.) More is better (yes, that's what she said.) The only question is, for any particular problem which is mo' betta? Is bigger more better than more? Or is more more better than bigger? Depends on the problem you have to solve, I suppose.

LOL, well said and strangely understandable.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I carry the G30SF(Gen3) (recently bought) and also have a G30(Gen3) and G26(Gen4).
    I like the SF over the std G30. Im really suprised at how much I like the new G26(Gen4) though. I just bought it a week ago.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    @Partyboy6686 how do you like yours? I'm looking for a G21 GEN4 right now, already ordered my Crossbreed :)

I love my GEN4 G21. I trust my life with it. It shoots great and the stock grip without a backstrap added fits my small hands great. I have Trijicon HD night sights on my G21. Plus I had a trigger job done with a 3.5lb ghost connector.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ok I'm sold I think I will do the g21sf though

The 21sf is a very nice Glock. I too was concerned about the size of the 21 in my hand so I went with the 21sf. I do not carry it but would have no issue if I choose to. It is really not much bigger than my 17 just a bit wider and I need to change my grip a bit. When I am at the range I shoot the 21sf first and then the 17 and the 17 feels like a .22 with zero recoil.

The 21sf is the home gun, when I carry a .45 I carry the 30s and do not even notice it is on my side.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Totally valid, but my train of thought is different. For me, I don't see the rationale for carrying any less gun than you are able to carry. If that's a Nano, so be it, but if you CAN carry a full-sized gun, why would you NOT carry a full-sized gun? If a voice spoke to you from the darkness in the night saying, "Tomorrow your life will be in danger, your family will be threatened, and you will be in a gunfight", what gun would you take? That's the gun you should take every day, if you can. If not, step down that list, in order, until you get to the first one that you CAN carry. Not the one that's most comfy, or the one where you're betting that you won't have a problem, but could give it a shot if you absolutely had to -- the one you'd want in your hand if you had to protect your kids today. I think a G21 would be a decent choice.

YMMV.

I think this is where I'd make camp, too. If the best I can do for conceal-ability is a G19, I'd carry the G19. But I can hide the G19, there's no great argument for the G26.

What strikes me most about the difference between the G20/21 and the "smaller" Glocks isn't the physical size so much, but the WEIGHT. Everything about it just feels a lot slower.

I'm almost certain ANY shooter would be much slower from holster to round-on-target with a G20/21 than even a G17/G22 because of the pointability penalty that comes with all that weight.

Maybe it's just because I'm getting weak and slow, but my G22 felt considerably more nimble than my G20. The G20 was intended primarily to be home defense sidearm, not a carry piece.

But I'd not hesitate to carry it if I was comfortable with my ability to wear it for extended periods, conceal it, and respond quickly and capably with it.

The response issue might be something you can train around-- I dunno. There's always the argument that physics can't be changed. The better you get with the G21, you get even faster with the lighter G17/22.

copperhead-1911

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2013
    New Castle
    Personally I figure if you have a 45 it should be a 1911, but since round capacity is a factor today that might be out and I think the double stacks are crap.

I would recommend the springfield xd instead. its a bit heavier and has a nicer trigger pull in my opinion.

Niles Coyote

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2013
    S.W. Michigan
    My Dept made the switch from a G22 (40cal) to G21(45acp )and most of our officers fell the recoil is less, but that is 40 vs. 45, compared to my G19 with full power loads in both... yeah there’s more recoil but it’s still manageable. I personally detest the G21 due to the fact that I am nowhere near as accurate with it like I was with the G22. Much of that, I believe, is caused by the difference in grip size. I am used to indexing my hand a certain way after years of USPSA shooting and the countless rounds fired. But prefect practice makes perfect, still working on that.

Concealability, it’s a full-size handgun and will conceal like any large frame double stack auto. Not my first choice as I feel the G19/G23 size is almost too big but that all depends on what you wear and your personal preference.

Magazine size, it is what it is and this is where the caliber wars start. Personally 13 rounds of the G21 vs. the 18 rounds of a G17is moot. If you need more ammo, that is the beauty of a magazine feed weapon, reload.

nsMethod

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    I shot a buddy's G21 that had about 3,000 rounds through it and it was one of the most fun experiences I've ever had behind a handgun. Once broken in they are incredibly smooth (even for a 45 ACP). I'm looking forward to my G23 getting to that point.

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    I was at the range back in the 90s, shooting my Ruger P90, when a proud new G21 owner allowed me to fire a few factory hardball rounds through his gun. I was hooked. Purchased a G21 in 2005, after the Clinton mag ban had expired. Love my G21, but wish it was a SF model. It's grip is almost too big for my hand, but the gun is so accurate and pleasant to shoot. With an Olive Drab frame and a Streamlight TLR3 attached, it is my primary home defense gun.

Top Bottom