• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    My dad recently bought a new Gen 3 G22 from a guy and we took it out to shoot it yesterday (the second time he's shot it). We took 100 rounds with us and out of 100 rounds we had 5 or 6 double feeds. That seems like a whole lot of double feeds to me considering I haven't had a single malfunction in 700 or 800 rounds through my M&P Shield 9, and considering Glock's reputation for reliability. Has anyone heard of this being an issue with Glock 22s in general? What may be the cause of this? It happened more when he shot than when I did. My parents want to know what to do about it. Thanks.

Last edited:

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    First, it's not possible for a Glock to double feed.
    Sorry, that's just the law.

Now that we have that out of the way...
    Check the magazine and make sure it is OEM Glock.
    Some of those Korean magazines just don't work.
    Believe me I've had first hand experience.
    I won't ever use Korean mags again.
    If they are not Glock mags, see if you can borrow a Glock mag to try out.

If not the mags, describe the double feed.
    Is it a new round bumping into the old fired casing?
    Or is it two loaded rounds getting in each others way?

neeltburn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    I would also wonder if the gun is stock or if it has been modded. If it has after market springs it in such as a recoil spring etc. The first step would be to put it back to stock and shoot it. Does it get worse the more its shot?

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    It's a stock gun with OEM Glock mags. The issue as far as I could tell was that it would fire, eject the spent round and then load the next round partway into the chamber being pushed upward about 45 degrees or a little less by the round trying to go in under it. Both rounds were unfired. It wasn't like double feeds I've seen before where one goes all the way in and the other one tries to go in behind it.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    OK I realize that you said they were OEM mags.
    However, that sounds like a mag problem to me.
    How many mags do you have?
    Can you try some different mags?

Are you shooting 9mm in a 40?
    Had to ask.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    OK I realize that you said they were OEM mags.
    However, that sounds like a mag problem to me.
    How many mags do you have?
    Can you try some different mags?

Are you shooting 9mm in a 40?
    Had to ask.

Yea, because really, how many bullets could the slide possibly strip out of the mag, when the catch only goes down an eight of an inch or less? Maybe he is describing it wrong, but only a mag with very loose feed lips--and a very strong spring--would seem capable of shoving a second bullet up, when the slide is only dragging one. It still seems almost impossible. Definitely try another mag though.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    It's a .40. My dad said he got two new mags recently (4 total now), so we can try those out. Thanks for the input. It was strange. I don't know what's up. I also didn't check it if was one mag or both that had the problem.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Try a few things..

You have said that you are SURE: that you are using .40 S&W ammo, that you are using Factory Glock Mags., and it appears to try to run two at a time into the chamber.

Try a few mags charged 1/2 full-7-8 rounds in each. If you have NO problems then, then you are assured that it is a mag problem. Could be spring problem, could be feed lip/follower problems( be sure the follower is stamped .40)

If you still have problems with 1/2 full mags, then you could be looking at recoil spring, ejector, extractor problems.

If YOU can shoot with NO problems, but your Father shoots with problems, then you are looking at "Operator Error" HA HA...Bill.

neeltburn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    bust the mags apart and count the coils the updated mags have 11 coils the old ones have 9 or 10.. also check you recoil spring by pulling the slide back about a 1/4 of and inch and easing it off. does it go into battery? if not replace the recoil spring. What ammo is this happening with?

After double checking my Armorer's manuals these would be my things to check.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    It's a stock gun with OEM Glock mags. The issue as far as I could tell was that it would fire, eject the spent round and then load the next round partway into the chamber being pushed upward about 45 degrees or a little less by the round trying to go in under it. Both rounds were unfired. It wasn't like double feeds I've seen before where one goes all the way in and the other one tries to go in behind it.

After further thought, and a more careful reading of the above, it seems most likely that your second round is getting near vertical in the magazine. The feed lips block any bullet from popping off the stack that isn't specifically stripped by the slide normally. But they do have an opening in the front, which allows the horizontal bullet to turn up on to the feed ramp. So if the second bullet was near vertical, it could surely slip right out that same opening, unlike a horizontal bullet, which would be constrained by the feed lips. Did I make sense there?

What does that mean? Maybe just a loose follower, maybe improper loading of the magazines. Maybe a terribly weak magazine spring. I'd take the mag apart and see if the spring is correctly attached to the follower and base.

Last edited:

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    Make sure the mags are Glock mags and not aftermarket and as has been pointed out, make sure the gun has not been messed with and a bunch of aftermarket parts have not be added. A stock Glock will run reliably with about any type of jacketed ammo.
    Good luck.

Top Bottom