• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • INhunter63

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Southern IN
    Alright so ive browsed this site for a couple of days and have already learned so many new things, so i decided to join up. Soo on to the question...How would a Glock 22 work as a first handgun just for use when im hunting, camping, or just generally being outdoors and spending the rest of the time sitting in the truck? Also my second question is how long after you fill out the online form does it take for you to receive your CCW license..Im planning on getting the lifetime if that matters any. Thanks for all the help and looking forward to learning lots of new info on this site!

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    First of all welcome to INGO.
    You must be talking about a LTCH since there is no CCW in Indiana.
    The LTCH is a Licence To Carry a Handgun, you can either carry conceal and open.
    About the Glock 22 its a great gun but its maybe not the best gun (mostly caliber) if you had no training before and never shot a handgun.
    Also its a full size servive pistol, that may not be the best size to carry concealed if its what you want to do.
    Glock 22 great gun for first time shooter and carry gun?
    I would say no in my opinion.
    The gun is too big and .40 cal might not be the best caliber for a new shooter.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Welcome to INGO, where in Southern Indiana are you?

The Glock 22 is in the top tier of self-defense hand guns but you need to shoot it to see if you like the .40 cal. That round has a lot of steam behind it and some people do not like the recoil of it. If you do get an opportunity to shoot it and you do like it, the Glock 22 can be one of the most versatile guns out there; the .40 S&W round is available in a wide variety of bullet weights and from some nice gentle target loads to some butt-stomping self defense rounds...and you can always purchase a 9mm Glock barrel to drop in and then shoot 9mm from the same gun.

Carrying concealed properly without printing is as much about the holster and belt you use as it is the size of the gun. Get a good belt designed to be worn with a load on it and get a good kydex or leather holster and leave the nylon stuff alone!

Let us know when you get your license!

yotebutcher90

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    West Lafayette
    Glocks take quite a bit of getting used to for shooting, I know personally I would not own one because they feel like they will break in my hand due to the plastic/composite build. As for a first shooting, I would highly suggest finding some people who shoot regularly in your area and try to meet up with them at the range so you can fire their weapons to see how you handle the variety of guns/calibers. If this is not available, there is quite a few gunshops with range who rent guns for people to shoot, so this is another way to get to see what gun suits you best. Each person has a different idea of what feels comfortable and I suggest finding a gun that feels like it has always been attached to your hand, because the gun needs to feel and shoot comfortably or else you will regret it and want another gun.

pleiades

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    After getting into the buy-sell cycle, I don't buy anything unless I've shot the model that I'm interested in. I found that out the expensive way...

INhunter63

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Southern IN
    Thanks for all the replies... I plan on going down to Knob Creek in kentucky and shooting a few before i make a final decision. I also like the "looks" of the xd series but will still send a few down range before i make a final decision. I also reguarly shoot long guns so im not new to guns just pistols. Also how long does it take to receive your "LTCH" license after you've filled out the form and paid the $125 fee. Thanks for the help!

bigedp51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2011
    INhunter63

I have a Glock 22, a Sig 228 and a .45 1911, when you say hunting, camping and outdoors I think of a large caliber revolver or my .45 1911.

For concealed carry I think Sig 228 and for general utility and home defense the Glock 22. I like my Glock 22 because it feels good in my hand and its natural pointing ability. BUT because I installed a custom add on trigger, hammer & sear the .45 is the most accurate out of all three at longer ranges.

For stopping power the .45 is number one, followed by the .40 S&W and with the 9mm in last place. (Unless you get a revolver) You need to decide at what range you will be shooting, type of sights and "HOW" big the target might be and if your wife will need to shoot it.

Please note if you have problems with zombies or occasional marauding Tyrannosaurus rex you might want to rethink your caliber choices. :D

gatl-5a.jpg

firemedic140

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Harlan, IN
    the 22 is a bit harder to conceal. When carrying it I always feel like it's printing and catch myself constantly checking to make sure it's hidden. I'm 6'1" 230 and carry small of back most of the time. It's my carry gun now until the wife says I can get another. I would look into the 23. As mentioned shoot before you buy if you can. Spend some time in a gun shop fondling, I mean handling some different makes, models side by side. The Glocks fit me well but feel funny to some. If your looking XD look at the XDm's As much as I like my glock The XDm felt really good and shot really well for me.

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    If you are wanting to keep it concealed I'd lean towards the Glock 23. I really like my 23 and it was my first and so far only handgun. I don't know why everyone is skeptical about a .40 being someone's first handgun. Either way you can't go wrong with a Glock.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    Greetings from Bloomington
    :welcome: 2 :ingo:

I would highly recommend paying the extra $ to do the digital fingerprinting... guys that do the on-line app and the digital finger printing are getting their LTCH back in a matter of days. I did the on-line App, but standard finger printing and it took 8 weeks and 3 days to get my LTCH. There's also a thread somewhere that has current LTCH wait times and you can judge for yourself.

As for the choice in handgun... find people with various pistols, and see if you can send a few down range with a wide variety of makes and models... I personally don't like the feel of a Glock in my hand... just too "jumpy" if that makes any sense!

Another thing, if you are going to shoot on a regular basis, you may want to consider a 9mm, ammo is much cheaper than the .40.

just my :twocents:

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Glocks shoot you in the hand when you take them apart. Even in public. And they shoot you in the ass if you try to CC them.

christman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Terra Haute
    INhunter63:

Good choice on looking for Glocks. However, if you are looking to carry, the G22 can be a pain depending on how you move about the day. It also is full size so CC is a bit harder to do.

If you are looking to buy a conceal carry Glock, might I suggest the small G26 9mm? Or if you are looking for a larger bullet in a small package, the G36 .45cal.

I've owned and carried many glocks both professionally and personally over the years, and to date, these have been my favorite 2.

If your wanting to stick with .40 cal, look at the G27. Its small like the G26, but just in .40cal.

Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    As it has already been said, The Glock 22 is a full sized service pistol. With the right rig (holster, belt, pants, and shirt), depending on your size, you may be able to conceal it. My buddy who is a LEO is 6'3'' 310lbs and carries his on and off duty. He carries it in a paddle holster and it conceals ok. If he went to an IWB carry, it would conceal just fine. He is a big guy so the gun seems much smaller on him.

Another thing to think about is the snappy .40 cal round. While it is often greatly exaggerated, there is some merit in saying it may not be the best choice for your first. You will need to build some skill with a handgun to shoot it well, especially in a situation where your adrenaline is up. I would recommend a Glock 17. Same size but in 9mm. You will be able to try a few holsters to get one that carries and conceals very good for you, and shoot a lot for cheap to build your skill level. Once you become proficient with the 9mm you can step up to the .40 cal and implement all of your training into relearning the .40 recoil. While doing this, you will still have the 17 to carry everyday until you think you are proficient enough to switch to the .40.

But to put it in perspective, Police officers who have never shot a gun in their life prior to the academy are issued a G22. Some go on to shoot it just fine, some are timid or scared of the recoil and hate when qual times come around.

Hope this helps
    Mike

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Glocks shoot you in the hand when you take them apart. Even in public. And they shoot you in the ass if you try to CC them.

I take it your the guy who shot himself at the 1500... :ugh:

Questions to the original poster. Sorry if this was asked before...

-Do you want to shoot a lot or is this just personal protection with a bit of practice? .40 and .45 are drastically more expensive and are harder to learn with than a 9mm, however its not something that should deter you. Just know that learning on a .40 or .45 will be expensive because of cost of rounds AND more time needed at the range. Keep in mind that "stopping power" is a myth. Modern hollow points (speer gold dot 124 grain +p for example) work just fine, 9mm gets a bad rep because our military uses FMJ not hollow points. Shot placement is key. I dont care if you have a .50 cal, if you cant hit me and I hit you with a 9, caliber didnt mean sh*t. One more thing, I can get 500 rounds of 9mm for 95 dollars online at most places, .40 is usually 155+ for the same quantity.

- How tall/wide are you, if you dont mind me asking. Im 135 5'9 with rocks in my pockets, I can barely conceal a 19, but the 27 hides perfect. If you happen to be a larger man than I, a full size should be fine. Maybe consider trying a 23 if you are a smaller dude (19 and 23 are same size, just 9mm and .40)

Last edited:

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    I chose a G22 as my first carry gun. The great thing about a G22 (or G17 in 9mm) is that you can buy the compact 23 (19) or the subcompact 27 (G26) and share the larger mags.

I have a G22 and G27. I carry the 22 more often in the winter beneath my coat, and the 27 more often in the summer. I'm very comfortable relying on both, but I prefer the full-size whenever possible.

Double-stack .40s are definitely wide, so depending how you dress, you might need to change things up a bit to conceal.

It's good that you're going to get a chance to fire a few before buying. Regardless of what you buy, if it's a good brand (Glock, Sig, XD, HK, etc.) and you don't pay too much over market, then you should be in good shape if you decide you want to trade or sell. If I ever decide to move on, I'll probably still keep my Glocks, though.

Regardless of what type of gun you buy, if you leave it in your truck, make sure it's in a very secure holster. Since Glocks have no external safety except for the trigger, you definitely don't want it moving around in your truck. It might sound obvious, but I've seen stories of people breaking some pretty simple rules. Don't get the cheapest nylon holster.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Thanks for all the replies... I plan on going down to Knob Creek in kentucky and shooting a few before i make a final decision. I also like the "looks" of the xd series but will still send a few down range before i make a final decision. I also reguarly shoot long guns so im not new to guns just pistols. Also how long does it take to receive your "LTCH" license after you've filled out the form and paid the $125 fee. Thanks for the help!

I didn't see it mentioned, but my understanding is that if you go through L1 for your fingerprinting, the LTCH process is much faster: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...915-question_about_l1_identity_solutions.html

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    I didn't see it mentioned, but my understanding is that if you go through L1 for your fingerprinting, the LTCH process is much faster: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...915-question_about_l1_identity_solutions.html

This is definitely true. after I paid the sheriffs office it only took me 10 days and I had my permit.
    a glock 22 is my first, unfortunately only, gun and I carry it in a level 2 Blackhawk SERPa paddle holster. Not a great amount of concealment but if you really want to conceal I would go iwb. It is a great gun though.

Last edited:

FutureButterBar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Don't Worry About It
    A G22 was my first firearm. I love it. but here are a few issues to contend with:
    -RTF rubs the skin when conceal against my body
    -I'm 5'8", 170 lbs, and not fat, this firearm is way to big for me to conceal, i can get away with it sometimes with an inside the belt holster and my shirt pulled over it, but my shirt likes to work it's way on top of my firearm
    -Night sights, don't carry a firearm without one
    -40 is a large caliber if you haven't shot, but it is easy to work out to.
    - the type of bullet (FMJ, hollowpoint, etc.) depends on the stopping power verse coming out the other side of your target. make sure you carry something that is a defense shot in your firearm (im sure there is a thread somewhere around here that can tell you)

If you don't like 40, or want a different caliber - Glocks are broken down pretty easy into sections. You have your list of calibers then within each of those calibers you have large, medium, and small frames. if you get a Gen4, it comes with adjustable back straps

good luck hunting

oh, and it takes about 3 month to get a LTCH. i did mine at a police station.

Top Bottom