Glock 22 heavy Recoil. Time for a new spring?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    My G22 is a bare to shoot. After 30 rounds my hand is numb and I don't want anymore. I'm not a pistol guy so I just assumed this was normal until I shot a friends G27. It didn't have anywhere near the same recoil. Does this mean I need to replace the recoil spring assembly? If so, where should I get one from? I would want to make sure it was a quality part not some aftermarket crap.

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    The g27 has a dual captive recoil spring. You can get various strength springs from place lonewolfdist.com they even sell stock glock parts. I wanna say a stock glock part spring and all is like $7.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    If I wasn't so far away I would let you shoot mine for comparison. I don't find it bad, it is snappy as they say. I can certainly shoot 2 mags without my hand going numb. Something sounds wrong unless you are just very sensitive to recoil.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Ammo can make some difference. Good quality ammo will have more snap than some cheaper range ammo. Still doesn't seem like even the hotter ammo would make a hand numb that quick though. A new recoil spring would be a cheap thing to try. A factory one will cost around $7-8.00 plus shipping. You can usually get them from MidwayUSA, Brownells, or Lone Wolf.

Click here: Gunsmithing - Shop Gunsmithing Tools & Supplies at MidwayUSA

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    $20.00 item.

Glock recommends changing the recoil spring on the .40 caliber pistols every 3000 rounds. It is considered an expendable item that will wear out over time. Available from many sources online such as Glockmeister and Lone Wolf, or if you are a GSSF member a Glock armorer will replace it for free at a GSSF match.

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Well you could just be recoil sensative. you could also have a over tight grip and mabye locking your arm to much. You have to kind of let the recoil ride down your arms like a shock but your wrist should stay tight so you dont get limp wrist jams. You could also throw a light on the front of it. a glock light tamed down my g32 quite a bit. now i can blind them and shoot them :)

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Make sure you are gripping the pistol up high, with the (small) beaver tail pressing into the web of your hand. If you are gripping too low, that can affect functionality (FTE's, FTF's due to limpwristing) or just plain discomfort. The key to GLOCKs is get your hand up high and as close to the bore axis as possible.

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Make sure you are gripping the pistol up high, with the (small) beaver tail pressing into the web of your hand. If you are gripping too low, that can affect functionality (FTE's, FTF's due to limpwristing) or just plain discomfort. The key to GLOCKs is get your hand up high and as close to the bore axis as possible.

Yes THIS :lol2: makes a really big difference.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    HAHAHAH...sorry subltesixer, I just posted right over top of you! I got sidetracked and didn't realize that we had posted the same thing or else I'd have edited it!

NullSyndrome

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    There are conversion kits available for the Glock. You could convert it 9mm, have less recoil, and cheaper ammo. That would be a last resort if the other problems don't fix it. However, you might end up with a pistol you like a lot better. A bonus is that you would then have a two caliber pistol. :dunno:

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    I grip the pistol up pretty high and I hang on for dear life.. So far all I've shot out of it is the cheap Federal ball ammo from Walmart, I doubt that's very hot stuff. I bought the pistol used, and I believe it was a police carry gun so I have know idea how many rounds its had though it. I'll have to find a spring and see if that helps out.

Last edited:

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    I called Glock, and they are sending me a new stock spring. Took about 15 minutes on the phone to get to talk to someone, but they sent me the spring for free.

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    I shot that gun some over the past weekend and was paying attention to not lock out my elbow. That soaked up a lot of the recoil and kept it from stinging my hand.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Faff
    Top Bottom