• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    After going to the range a few times with my Glock to see if it actually shoots very low or if it is my fault. After today I am sure it is the gun as every other pistol i shot with today (2 others including a 1911 and a g26) I shot very well with. I pretty much have to "snowman" the sights and still cover the target with the front sight to hit well with it at any distance. What are my options? I would rather not buy new sights if possible, it has night sights. Would my best option be filing down the front sight slighly and using some touchup paint?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Did you verify that its the gun by putting it on a bench and completely (or mostly) removing the shooter out of the equation?

The reason I ask is because 90% of the time its the shooter, not the gun. Certainly the gun could be the culprit here, but its rare.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Did you verify that its the gun by putting it on a bench and completely (or mostly) removing the shooter out of the equation?

The reason I ask is because 90% of the time its the shooter, not the gun. Certainly the gun could be the culprit here, but its rare.

.40 pistols do this to people SO OFTEN!

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    I am not sure if the sights were installed from the factory, i'm the second owner. I have not used a bench but have had more experienced shooters than I try it and it shot low for them also. Thay also shoot .40's. I am sure that some of it is me, I don't claim to be a great shooter. But I have shot other .40's without having this problem.

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    Also I don't think that the gun itself is the problem I just think that the front sight is slightly too tall.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have a G17 with Glock factory night sights that hits more than two inches low at 10 yards and another with Trijicons that hit exactly to point of aim at 10 yards. The one that shoots low is a challenge, especially when the operator tries to aim high to compensate. I intend to get a taller rear sight.

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    I have a G17 with Glock factory night sights that hits more than two inches low at 10 yards and another with Trijicons that hit exactly to point of aim at 10 yards. The one that shoots low is a challenge, especially when the operator tries to aim high to compensate. I intend to get a taller rear sight.

This sounds like exactly what I am experiencing. Maybe I should break down and get Trijicons. May also try to eventually trade my 22 for a 23, handled one at the range today and it seemed to fit my hand perfectly.

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    Unfortunately I have to admit on this issue that it was mostly me being the problem. I went and shot it again today with 180gr UMC ammo. I found by trial and error that there are two main reasons I was shooting low. First being that my front hand was pulling down on the Glock, I was shooting with my thumbs side by side with my weak side slightly forward and second my strong hand was wrapped around too far towards the trigger. I rotated my front hand so more of my palm was behind the gun and interlocked my thumbs to connect my hands together. The result was about half of a mag worth of ammo landing in the center 3" of the target. (which is very good for me).
    I still have to cover the target with the front sight but it is so much better and the recoil is directed more into my forearm instead of just my wrist. I still think I might try some lower profile sights but I have to admit defeat and say that my problem like most other's was the shooter.
    I do think that the reason I shoot a lot of other pistols better is because of the thinner grips. Double stack .40's and short fat hands is what I am working with haha

Thank you all for your recommendations, more range time it is for me!

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    I dont feel too bad. I've only owned a pistol since April of this year. Plus I got to put some rounds through my buddies AR at 200 yards today while our wives were at a baby shower. So, I got to shoot an AR, found a way to shoot my glock a lot better, and didnt have to go to baby shower......great day.

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    I dont feel too bad. I've only owned a pistol since April of this year. Plus I got to put some rounds through my buddies AR at 200 yards today while our wives were at a baby shower. So, I got to shoot an AR, found a way to shoot my glock a lot better, and didnt have to go to baby shower......great day.

Sounds like a perfect day. I know it can be frustrating when you shoot one gun very well and another not so much. Anyway that is what keeps us shooting I guess. I am glad you are getting it worked out. Happy shooting :ar15:

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Sounds like it!

Don't forget that INGO has MANY different training opportunities around the state that are also down right affordable. There's nothing like a pistol class to open up your world. :yesway:

Tactics and Training - INGunOwners

Training with a competent instructor will do more for your shooting than buying another gun. Too many shooters say that training is too expensive, but they don't seem to factor in all the ammo they waste or sights they buy to fix marksmanship issues or the time they spend fiddling with non-important factors like grip or the guns they sell or trade because they "don't shoot right".

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    My experience with my glocks is that I need to cover the target with the front sight, rather than "pumpkin on post" like I would typically do with rifle iron sights, and even some of my other pistols.

At first it feels funny, but once you start getting a good crisp view of the front sight when you are shooting (one of the keys to shooting a pistol well) you will start to naturally do this.

Cherryspringer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Lafayette
    I used to have the same problem with my glock 27. I finally noticed that my first shot would be right on and after that I would shoot low. I believe it's because the .40 is so snappy and I was pre reacting to it. The thing that makes it worse is the light weight of the glock pistols. I'm not bashing glocks. I love my g19, as a ccw. It's also a lot better with the targets than my 40 cal glocks I've had. But my 1911 or even my blackhawk or a lot more fun and accurate shooting targets. I bought an xdm 40 about a year ago. It's pretty darn accurate. I shoot a lot better with it than my buddies g22. Anyhow that's what I've found. Aim real steady on your first shot and see what happens before you file down your front sight.:twocents:

Top Bottom