• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fyver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    So I'm going back and forth between a G22 vs. G19. The main reason being that I have lots of .40 ammo, but I'd like to make the switch over to a Glock 19 and 9mm going forward. My main question is this then: I know you can switch out the barrels of a G22 to make it fire 9mm, but will I end up as accurate as just using G19? Are there consistency issues with trading out the barrels?

Anyone have advice one way or the other? Would love your all's thoughts.

Thanks!
    :patriot:

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    good question. there are previous posts with similar info, but I'll touch on it briefly here.
    YES, you can easily swap out the barrel to an aftermarket barrel (Lone Wolf, Storm Lake, etc, usually about $115-$250). Accuracy is affected, but to a relatively small degree. I wouldn't shoot comeptition with a swapped barrel, for example. Also, since the case size is different, the 9mm conversion barrels have the chamber slightly "off-center" to align the casing up with the ejector correctly. THis does no mean the barrel is crooked or doesn't shoot straight, just that the actual bored-out chamber is not in the dead center of the chamber block. THese are a great option for ultimate utility - like a .40 cal glock with a 9mm and .357Sig barrel, or to add a threaded barrel (even in a different caliber).

You can NOT just drop in a glock OEM 9mm barrel, as it won't fit and line up right.

It's certainly fun to experiment, and these barrels allow you to do that. I just wouldn't bet my life on them. Even if it's only 2% more likely to not cycle correctly, I'll take every advantage I can get in a real SD situation. 2% might be the difference between life and death.

Also - be aware of springs/recoil. shooting 9mm through a .40 will go smoother if you have the appropriate recoil spring for that caliber (either Glock OEM or aftermarket)

Overall impressions, good for utility and fun shooting, not for CC, Home SD, or
    competition.
    http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Products.aspx?CAT=82

plenty of good vids on youtube on this topic.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2fWhZX6YUY[/ame]

Last edited:

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    also, the g19 and g22 are different sizes. the same size offerings would be g19 and g23.
    G17 and G22 are same size, in 9mm and .40, respectively
    G19 and G23 are same size, " "
    G26 and G27 are same size " "

Last edited:

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    Throttletony is right!! Dont depend on a coversion barrel for personal protection, just use it for fun.

I had a lone wolf conversion barrell for my G35. It would shoot fine for about 100 rounds, the gun would get dirty and I would get failures to exract. Once the gun was cleaned it was fine for another 100 rounds. The possible solution would be to change the extractor. They are different from the 9mm to the .40S&W.

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    Sell the .40 ammo and use the money towards a G19. I have a G33 (baby .357) with a 9mm conversion barrel and I wouldn't trust it for a edc weapon.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Throttletony is right!! Dont depend on a coversion barrel for personal protection, just use it for fun.

I had a lone wolf conversion barrell for my G35. It would shoot fine for about 100 rounds, the gun would get dirty and I would get failures to exract. Once the gun was cleaned it was fine for another 100 rounds. The possible solution would be to change the extractor. They are different from the 9mm to the .40S&W.

The conversion barrel is bored slightly off center so the .40 extractor will engage the 9mm case. Using a 9mm extractor with a .40-9 conversion may cause more problems than it solves.

Mr. Neal

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 7, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    If your comfortable with the frame of the 22 from use I would just make the switch over to the 17. Its the sane gun but in the 9mm caliber you desire. Id avoid conversion barrels for carry/defense purposes as the others pointed out. I have no experience with the 17. I recently switched from M&P40( couldnt stand the trigger) platform to the gen4 g22( thats right first time glock owner!! ) and I love it! But I to would like a 9mm to shoot. I kicked the idea of the conversion barrel around and decided it wouldn't be best. Save your money and buy s g17.

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    I agree, if you want a 23 get it, if you want a 19 get that one to. This is the best way to have Glock reliability. The only time I see unreliable Glocks is when they are modified.
    Nothing wrong with owning a whole bunch of Glocks:D

fyver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    also, the g19 and g22 are different sizes. the same size offerings would be g19 and g23.
    G17 and G22 are same size, in 9mm and .40, respectively
    G19 and G23 are same size, " "
    G26 and G27 are same size " "

Yep - you're right here; had my 22 and 23s mixed up. Too many cursed numbers in the Glock family... :rolleyes:

fyver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    This has been a helpful thread guys... looking at home defense/concealed carry and given the need, am thinking that I will stick with tracking down a G19. Now, the bigger challenge is to find one. :)

Thanks again all.

PMR

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    NWI, Cedar Lake
    I'm thinking of going with the 23 and getting the 9mm conversion to have so if/when the SHTF I will be able to fire whatever ammo i can find.

Good or bad idea???

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm thinking of going with the 23 and getting the 9mm conversion to have so if/when the SHTF I will be able to fire whatever ammo i can find.

Good or bad idea???

I think that's an excellent idea. At least, that's what I'm doing as well. except I might get the barrel for my G27 instead of the G23. Lone Wolf recommends using a factory G26 barrel for the G27 conversion. But, with a stock barrel, you might need to swap extractors. There is lots of good info on this on GlockTalk.com.

SteviGX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2011
    I just switched to a glock 23. Like Mr. Neal said just couldn't stand the trigger of my M&P anymore. Shot it for the first time yesterday and put better groups together than I ever have. I couldn't be happier with my choice.

Niles Coyote

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2013
    S.W. Michigan
    The G19 is a great gun, that’s what I got my wife for home and I actually like it more than the fullsize models now. That said you can get a replacement slide and barrel in 40 and also get an extra 357 sig barrel...three guns in one.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    Sell the .40 ammo and use the money towards a G19. I have a G33 (baby .357) with a 9mm conversion barrel and I wouldn't trust it for a edc weapon.

It is good when somebody with first hand experience give us feedback, I have never done the conversion barrel due to possible reliability problems. I would sell the ammo and get the G19.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    I had the same experience. I have a G 23 with the Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel. I did not notice a fever able difference in accuracy, but I did have 2 issues with ejecting casing. I am not sure exactly after how many rounds but...... I should say that everything functioned properly since then. That was about 500 rounds ago.

Top Bottom