• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flyfishtrip

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Westfield
    I'm looking for some advice from you guys with competetive shooting experience. I'm looking for a new gun primarily to have at home for home defense. But i'm interested in getting into some sort of practical shooting competition and would like to get a gun that can also be used for that. The Glock 23 seems to be at the top of the list. I know it will be fine for home defense, but how much of a disadvantage will it be compared to the Glock 22 at a competion? Considering sight radius, weight, and frame size etc. I'm also interested in the Smith and Wesson M&P 40, probably the pro, which as far as I can tell is more suited for competition. Like I said, this gun is primarily home defense, but I'd like the best option to be able to use it in competition also. What's my best option?

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I shot IPSC for years with my Glock 22. I was a poor college student and that was all I had, as a gift. I prefer my G23 better. You can use G22 mags to reload if you need the rounds. I see no problem with the G23, and it is a better solution if you plan on carrying. The barrel length differences and sight radius are minimal.

Kcustom45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I think it would be better for you to compete with what you plan on using as a carry/home defense gun. Unless you are that good and coming in 1st means that much to you, I wouldn't even worry about being at a slight disadvantage by competing with a smaller lighter gun.

Heck my wife shot all her USPSA matches with an aluminum frame Kimber Pro Carry. She always came in near the bottom, but she got to practice shooting under more stressful situations than we shot at the range.

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Glock 23 is about as versatile of a gun as you can purchase. Small enough to carry, large enough to shoot. It was already mentioned that you can use the G22 mags in the G23. You can even buy grip adapters. Also, with a barrel cahnge you can shoot 9mm. I really have never noticed a difference in my ability to shoot the full size verse the mid size glocks. The extra weight may be of some advantage, but the ability to shoot your defense gun is also valuable.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    USPSA

There is a place in USPSA for nearly every gun. Come out and give it a try and all your questions will be answered for you, by your performance. Shooting your carry gun is fine and makes a lot of sense. However it is the warrior not the weapon that makes the most difference. USPSA will build some of your very important skills that will carry over to the self defense situations. Start out with the Glock 23 and then if you want to make a change make a change. It will not be necessary to change unless you want to change guns.

Flyfishtrip

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Westfield
    Thanks for the great advice. I really appreciate it. Now I just have to figure out how to sell a gun to get a new one. I've been reading the site for quite a while, but didn't realize you need 50 posts in order to list a gun in the classifieds. I guess I'll take part in more discussions from now on.

I'd definitely like to give competition a try. Winning is probably unrealistic, but it sure sounds like fun to try!

I did check out the glock 23 at Stephen R Jenkins today. I now see what people are talking about with the different/odd grip angle. I just pointed the gun without aiming with the sights as naturally as possible. The gun was pointed way above where I expected it to be. Maybe it's not the gun for me after all. I shot great with it though.

Top Bottom