• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • irishanimal917

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Looking for a little help here if anyone can give me some insight. Last weekend I took my son to my uncles to get in some range time on various different weapons. Everything went fine with no issues at all. When we returned home that evening and started breaking down and cleaning the various weapons I ran into a problem.

***Note*** I have already researched the net for both articles and pic's and have found nothing on the following issue.

After I cleaned and very lightly lubricated my Glock 23 gen 4, I put it back together. In typical fashion as we all do, I did a function check to make everything was in order. When I released the slide forward, the recoil spring shot half way out of the front of the slide and became lodged. It was lodged in such a fashion that I had to gently beat on it while pulling very hard on the slide to the rear to get it un-lodged. This took over 10 mins to accomplish. As soon as I had it free and clear I field stripped the weapon, reassembled it and did another function check. This time it was working propperly or at least to the best of my knowledge. Yes I know, pic's would help but it never crossed my mind so I don't have any.

Without going to to a range and putting some rounds thru it, it has me kinda worried at this point as far as reliability. I'm not sure if it's going to happen again or not so I've tsken it out of service until I get something figured out.

I did however find on glocks website that there is a voluntary replacement program in place for Glock 23 gen 4's recoil spring assemblies (RSA) as well as a few other platforms. It states that they will replace the RSA at no cost to the customer on all models sold before July 22nd 2011. See link: Recoil Spring Exchange Program | GLOCK USA Mine wasn't purchased until early last year, 2013 so I will not fall into this category but this may be helpful to other Glock owners.

Has as anyone else experienced this problem or one similar? Any suggestions outside of calling Glock which I plan on doing Monday. Thanks in advance.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    As you said, pics would help.. Sometimes if the spring is not seated properly against the barrel it will cause, what I believe you experienced.
    Personally I like the Gen 4 pistols but I have the bushing listed below and a gen 3 spring in the box with all my gen 4 pistols.. cheap insurance IMHO.
    http://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...version-insert-for-glock-gen-4-prod42348.aspx

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] –[/FONT] Certified Glock armorer

Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield
    I would call Glock and ask for a new spring assembly. I had issues with a G27 in 1999 when I used Cor-Bon +P ammo and managed to break the spring assembly and it jammed the slide half open. I took it to Plainfield Shooting Supplies and they had to mangle the slide off somehow, with beating sounds out the back of the store. They gave me a new spring assembly from another gun, saying the Glock sales guy would replace it for free, which was good of them.

The +P recoil looked to have broken parts of the thin sheet metal piece that goes between the two springs, allowing them to come free and jam the action, and I am wondering if this is what has happened to you. I wouldn't trust it, as you say, and I would call Glock to get a new spring assembly or take it back to where you bought it for their opinion.

Good luck!

irishanimal917

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    NHT3, I would have to agree. If the spring were not seated correctly, when the slide was engaged it may allow for the spring to somehow pop out as it did upon the slide returning forward. My only other thought to that is, I didn't think it would be possible for the spring to ever shoot out the front, at all... I appreciate the info and links, I'll check out the parts suggested, can you tell me the benefits of them over factory please? I know there are always better parts manufactured I'd just like to know the reasoning, I see your an armorer. Thanks again

irishanimal917

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Who Dares Wins, I will update this as soon as I get off the phone with Glock. The beating sound in the back of the store you referred to sounds so familiar in my head lol, it wasn't an easy task to get it back to where I could get apart.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I had the exact same thing happen to me with my Gen 3 26 and it was from the recoil spring not being seated properly, reassembled and its been fine ever since. This happened several years ago and have never had it happen again (since I always carefully check and insure the spring is seated correctly :D)

irishanimal917

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Update: I spoke with the Glock RSA service person this morning. As I already knew, mine was not affected by the voluntary recall/replacement, that being so I addressed the issue anyways. They didn't have a clue as to what the issue may have been when it happened but they did have a answer to the issue. They immediately offered to send a NEW replacement RSA out in which I gladly accepted. The RSA not having been properly seated seems to be what the problem more than likely was but to err on the side of caution I'm replacing it at their cost, better safe than sorry. Thanks for the positive input all...

Top Bottom