• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    The only time I can mimic this kind of malfunction is if I put too much weight on the magazine with an improper grip. By this, I am "pushing" too far to the left or the right of the magazine (depending on shooting hand). Readjusting your grip or putting a grip sleeve over the magazine to compensate for the uneven grip of the extended magazine will prevent this from happening.

***Disclaimer*** I did not watch the entire video but solved this problem for a buddy who insisted his G26 was junk until I showed him what he was doing wrong.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    The only time I can mimic this kind of malfunction is if I put too much weight on the magazine with an improper grip. By this, I am "pushing" too far to the left or the right of the magazine (depending on shooting hand). Readjusting your grip or putting a grip sleeve over the magazine to compensate for the uneven grip of the extended magazine will prevent this from happening.

***Disclaimer*** I did not watch the entire video but solved this problem for a buddy who insisted his G26 was junk until I showed him what he was doing wrong.

+1, we see this occur on a regular basis.

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    Thanks guys. Interesting that Glock advertises the mags as interchangable.

Does this occur with the G19 and G17 mags?

Or the G26 with G19 mags?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    It can occur with any Glock if the magazine is longer than the magwell and the shooter puts lateral pressure on the exposed part of the mag. The angle between the top round in the mag and the feed ramp is changed and can cause problems.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks guys. Interesting that Glock advertises the mags as interchangable.

Does this occur with the G19 and G17 mags?

Or the G26 with G19 mags?

Never owned a G26 so I wouldn't know... But, have never had any issues using G17 or the 33 round G18 mags out of the G19's....

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I carry a Glock 17 normally and a Glock 26 going to work or if I don't want any "print-age". I haven't ever encountered this, but it looks like a good time to function test for off-hand, single hand, pressure, strange grips, etc. Thanks for the heads up.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Thanks again phylodog. That makes me rethink useing a G19 or G17 mag as a spare for the G26.

Usually with the G26/G27 and a long mag the shooter is gripping tightly with their little finger on the exposed part of the mag. If they lighten up their little finger the pistols will usually function well enough. Under stress a person is likely to have a death grip on the gun which is why I don't recommend them for carry.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    But it's not over-insertion that's causing the problem, and those sleeves bring with them a number of issues of their own.

All the same....that's why they make them. :)

Also, they seem like they would address the lateral movement as well?

...obviously not speaking from having shot one.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    . . . and those sleeves bring with them a number of issues of their own.

Yeah, like pinching one's skin between the sleeve and the grip. Ouch! I hate when that happens. :crying:

BTW, I've never had an issue with extended mags in a G19. The G19's longer grip keeps one from applying the lateral pressure that's been mentioned (unless your hands are really wide).

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Usually with the G26/G27 and a long mag the shooter is gripping tightly with their little finger on the exposed part of the mag. If they lighten up their little finger the pistols will usually function well enough. Under stress a person is likely to have a death grip on the gun which is why I don't recommend them for carry.

Exactly... the "death grip" on the exposed portion of he mag, can cause it the cant slightly leading to a misfeed. This is typically not an issue as the grip prevents this.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Also: This isn't an issue that's unique to Glock.

It can, and does, happen with any magazine-fed pistol where the magazine sticks out further than the grip on the pistol.

Some are more sensitive to it than others. Some individual gun/mag combos are more sensitive to it than others.

Just part of it, I suppose.

-J-

Revelations

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    NW IND/ Tampa Bay
    Ive never had an issue using a sleeved 19 mag in my 26. Once I got the spacing correct the pinching stopped. Picked up a couple of 17 mags to try, just need to get a sleeve for it.

Jenel

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Johnson County

Yep! Seen this a lot with people new to mag feed handguns. Just takes practice getting used to the correct grip.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    But I thought glocks were supposed to be perfect? I saw parts of the video, but didn't care to watch the whole thing last night. The legend of glock perfection is a myth no matter how good they are. My G20 has jammed a couple times too, but it's always been with crappy ammo or my weak side shooting hand.

Top Bottom