• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glock 26 or Glock 30 for conealed carry?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

nsheepdog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Carmel, IN
    Hello, I am close to purchasing my first pistol for concealed carry. I've narrowed my search down to either the Glock 26 (9mm) or the Glock 30 (45). If you could add to my Pros-Cons list or give me general advice, I would appreciate it. Thank you.:dunno:

Glock 26 Pros:
    It could be fun and cheaper to shoot with the ability to use all Glock 9mm mags, including the huge 33 rounders. Very concealable. 13+rounds standard
    Glock 26 Cons:
    Smaller caliber for self defense

Glock 30 Pros:
    10+1 .45 caliber in a very concealable gun
    Glock 30 Cons:
    Thicker gun. I read the .45 cal's effectiveness is reduced if shot from a 3.78in barrel.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    My personal preference is the Glock 26. I don't think the advantages of the 45 caliber for effective in self defense out ways the cost of the gun and ammo.

You need to practice with your gun often and if the cost of ammo keeps you from doing so, then it's definately a con on my list.

I know some people say a 9mm isn't big enough, but if you place your shot properly it only takes one and a 22 can stop a BG just as easy as a 45, so a 9mm should be sufficiant too.

I carry a Glock 26 so I am bias in this poll. :)

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Looks like you been doing your homework, go with the one that feels better in your hand, both will do the job, I like the 9MM cause it will recoil less, {so you'll stay on target} options of having 33 round mag is nice{I guess you'll call it GUN on a STICK}

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    i personally will be purchasing a G30 next but what helped my decision was that i already have what the media would call a "cache" of .45 acp in stock (what some of you might call a weekend range trip amount:))and a friend that will make hand loaded match grade for around 18 a box without me buying loading equipment.

without those two tidbits i would probably lean towards a metric gun. for the two reasons of cost and the ability to carry more rounds in the same sized package.

Buckaroo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    NWI
    G26 for cheaper ammo that means you can practice more. Handgun rounds are all pretty weak sauce so more is better than bigger.

9mm will also be easier to shoot due to less recoil which should mean better hits.

Buckaroo

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I would get it in .40. if I were to get a Glock compact. Punch and capacity...best of both worlds.

I would also get the M&P compact...much better feeling firearm, just as reliable, and better looking to boot. The trigger can be made into something spectacular with a little work or Apex Tactical parts. 10+1 capacity with flat baseplate or pinky base plate supplied with firearm...can use full size 15 round mags as well if you'd like.

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    Not sure where you got the 13+ rounds as standard with the G26. Standard is 10+1. With +2 mag extension it is 13+1. And of course it will use the 15 round G19 mag and the 17 round G17/G34 mag.

As one who uses his G26 as EDC I may be a little biased, however the less expensive ammo and higher capacity compatible magazines sold me.

Whatever you do, consider taking a course in selfdefense. And pratice on a regular basis, it makes a hugh difference.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    OP, You do realize that the G30 is virtually the same size as the G19, right? Also, don't forget that the G30 will also accept 13 rnd G21 mags.

If this is going to be mainly a caliber decision on your part, that's the more comparible pair.

Frankly, I prefer the recoil impulse of the G30 over the G26 (or even the G19).

The biggest differences to me, with respect to "carryability" between Glock's 9mm and .45 line are the thickness and loaded up weight of the guns (the .45's being a little thicker and heavier than their 9mm counterparts). I carry either depending on the circumstances.

If you have access to the most modern HP designs, I wouldn't worry about the defensive effectiveness of the 9mm. If you don't (or want to plan for a day when you might not), the .45 makes the larger hole.

With respect to "short barrel" .45 performance (i.e. sub 4"), there are several loads that will give you at least 12" of penetration (and some up to around 14"), out of a 3.8" barrel. Longer aftermarket barrels are also available.

In the end, the difference between having either gun and no gun at all is far greater than having any of these. So, don't sweat it too much. Get what fits you and your needs best.

Last edited:

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I'd say the G26. Recoil on a G30 is going to be...appreciable, to say the least, and with such a small firearm accuracy is paramount. The G26 will give you that extra added control you might need to hit that critical target. In addition, the cheaper ammo and increased capacity will be nice.

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    Odd, my g30 and g29 both have less recoil then my g19 even with +p in the pipe of the 30. Perhaps you guys need to take one for a test drive. It is still fun to shoot stuff though.

Last edited:

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Odd, my g30 and g29 both have less recoil then my g19 even with +p in the pipe of the 30. Perhaps you guys need to tak one for a test drive. It is still fun to shoot stuff though.

Perhaps my assumption was wrong; I have not shot a G30, I was just speaking from general knowledge; two guns that are the same size, it makes sense that the one in the larger caliber would have a bit more recoil. My apologies if this is not the case.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I understand your assumption. Just looking at guns weights and calibers and stuff one might make that initial assumption. Other things do come into play however (ex. blowback vs Browning delayed blowback).

In the case of the G30, I suspect what softens the felt recoil is the telescoping recoil spring. It seems to be pretty effective at reducing the slide velocity near the end of its travel and thus it doesn't slam back as hard as you might thing. Whatever the reason, or combination thereof, the G30 is softest shooting 45 of it's size that I know of.

Glocker39

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    I have been thinking of a sub compact , in a glock carry, but I have not shot one, and I am not going to Dons guns to do so.
    I need to go shooting this spring , and hope someone has one, and would be willing to let me shoot it.

WOLFEMAN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    LAFAYETTE
    It's 50/50 for me. Got both models and love em' equally for
    everyday carry. True the G30 produces more felt recoil but
    what compact 45 does'nt. It's not about caliber, it's about
    PLACEMENT.

:ingo::patriot:

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    You can hate me for not answering your question but G19 all the way, it holds 16 rounds, fits perfect in the hand, and shoots well, carries just as well.

You will find it is the most popular Glock out there for a reason. I have owed a LOT of weapons, this is the one that worked. Get a Gen 3, they are the best!

Top Bottom