• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Was shooting my Glock 26 today when after about 5 rounds the slide failed to completely close. I cleared the live round and noticed I could not operate the slide as normal. After about 10 minutes I was able to get the slide to release off the frame and noticed the recoil spring looked like this:

t9jg9t.jpg

[Not my picture but the recoil spring looks exactly the same]

I made a call to Glock customer support as soon as I got home and less then 5 minutes later they were sending me a new recoil spring, free of charge. No questions asked on Glock’s end, just the model, generation, and part.

My Glock 26 is less then two years old and has around 1000 rounds through it, all Winchester White Box.

This just goes to show that even some of the most reliable guns, do and will break.

And now let me open the doors for all the Glock haters.... :laugh:

EDIT: It appears I could get the larger spring compressed back to the left, but if it was able to slide over the flange holding it in place once, I would guess it would just keep doing it.

EDIT2: 10 Days later a new Recoil Spring arrived in the mail from Glock, free of charge. +1 to Glock Customer Service!

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Interesting; I've seen a few of the 26/27 recoil assemblies that have pooped the sheets, but it's usually the plastic flange at the front that gives, allowing the spring to spring forward. This is a new one on me. Also goes to show why I keep a stock of spare parts, including recoil spring assemblies, in my toolbox.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Interesting; I've seen a few of the 26/27 recoil assemblies that have pooped the sheets, but it's usually the plastic flange at the front that gives, allowing the spring to spring forward

Yeah, when the malfunction happened, I figured it would be this type of break. After a few minutes of searching online, it appears my failure is pretty common too.

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    you guys do know your supposed to swap out the springs of the mini glocks like every 600 rounds. After about 750 they start to have hick ups. All subcompacts do that.

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    you guys do know your supposed to swap out the springs of the mini glocks like every 600 rounds. After about 750 they start to have hick ups. All subcompacts do that.

Source, please? When I went through Glock Armorer re-certification in October, the instructor there said the 3rd Gen 9mm recoil assemblies were rated for approximately 5000 rounds, and the .40 recoil assemblies for approximately 3000. This has been Glock's official position as long as I can remember. I follow this schedule and have for years, and my personal Glock 26 and 27 have never missed a lick.

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Thats what i was told but cant remember exactly but it was at a gun shop.Im learning not to trust the ones around here anymore. Though i did just break one at just over 750 so i figured it was true. Popped right out the front. Ive only put around 1100 rounds though my 26 total so far. Im glad to hear its longer though. I just pitched the one that went out the front and got a new one. I stand corrected. so what with the breakages then? Arent the gen 4s haveing that same issue?

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    so what with the breakages then?

It seems to be a known phenomenon with the G26/27, but evidently isn't common enough to warrant a redesign of the recoil assembly. :dunno:

Arent the gen 4s haveing that same issue?

No; the Gen4 G26 and 27 have just started to appear on the market (we got our first this week). The only Gen4 recoil spring issue I'm aware of is that the Gen4 G17s were oversprung (they initially used the same recoil assembly as the Gen4 G22), but that has been corrected with the introduction of the numbered (01/G22, 02/G17, 03/G23, 04/G19) Gen4 assemblies.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    I am glad they took care of you.

My only piece of advice is to use a film of grease on the recoil assembly.
    This will help keep the dual springs from binding on each other and make the cycling of the pistol smoother overall.

I just checked my G26's recoil assembly and it looks great with around 1000 +/- through it.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Interesting; I've seen a few of the 26/27 recoil assemblies that have pooped the sheets, but it's usually the plastic flange at the front that gives, allowing the spring to spring forward. This is a new one on me. Also goes to show why I keep a stock of spare parts, including recoil spring assemblies, in my toolbox.

Where can one get spare parts from?

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    So far so good!

I had to go get my little notebook/log book out of the range bag and it says I have fired 2475 rounds of mostly 180gr. Wally World Fed. Champ./ WWB & UMC since 05/20/2010 through my Gen.3 G27 ser.# PGHxxx. Still has original spring and not a single hiccup so far.(I sure hope I didn't just jinx myself)! :D

PS: I also carry a complete spare spring set for all my Glocks primarily purchased from either Glockparts.com or Glockmeister.com as well as things like spring cups,pins etc.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Like you said, just goes to show anything can break. Glad to hear they took care of you.
    Glocks still rule, end of discussion! :D

Top Bottom