• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    If you're talking about the Bodyguard 380, Smith & Wesson makes the "Shield" in both 9mm and 40 caliber. Both single-stack pocketable guns.

Sorry that is what I meant. The Smith & Wesson Shield. Seems like a good gun to carry IWB for a skinnier guy but not sure if its worth losing the rond count of an M&P 40, 9, or glock.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Well, again, it's all preference. I carry a 5 shot .38 pretty frequently as a pocket gun and feel fine. I carry a speedstrip with another 5 rounds on it in my pocket.

The Shield's small magazine holds 7 rounds I think, the same as the gov't 1911 - if caliber isn't a dealbreaker, it's one heck of a combo for a CCW piece.

IMakeGum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    I've just recently had the opportunity to shoot the XDS and I LOVE it....as a tall, skinny female, I can tell you that outfit, belt and holster combos will allow you to conceal just about anything... so find the gun that fits your hands.
    Stopping power really depends on shot placement... something to consider, though, besides ammo cost, is target re-acquisition. You may need to shoot a few more 9mms to knock down a steel plate, but theoretically you can get the shots off just as quickly as a .45 which tends to be shot slower due to higher muzzle climb (ergo, slower target re-acquisition...) so the trade off winds up being number of shots fired vs. time it takes to shoot.

ChevyMan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    I am also new to the forum and I am looking at the same guns trying to decide which to buy so this has been great information to keep in mind as I am trying to decide what I want to carry. Thanks.

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    Well, again, it's all preference. I carry a 5 shot .38 pretty frequently as a pocket gun and feel fine. I carry a speedstrip with another 5 rounds on it in my pocket.

The Shield's small magazine holds 7 rounds I think, the same as the gov't 1911 - if caliber isn't a dealbreaker, it's one heck of a combo for a CCW piece.

It is my understanding that they come in 9mm and .40 cal. Not to sure which I will choose

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    I've just recently had the opportunity to shoot the XDS and I LOVE it....as a tall, skinny female, I can tell you that outfit, belt and holster combos will allow you to conceal just about anything... so find the gun that fits your hands.
    Stopping power really depends on shot placement... something to consider, though, besides ammo cost, is target re-acquisition. You may need to shoot a few more 9mms to knock down a steel plate, but theoretically you can get the shots off just as quickly as a .45 which tends to be shot slower due to higher muzzle climb (ergo, slower target re-acquisition...) so the trade off winds up being number of shots fired vs. time it takes to shoot.

Thanks for the reply. The S&W Shield sure felt good in my hands but so did the S&W M&P 9c. So I just have to decide what to give and what to take as far as more rounds, more bulk, or less rounds, easier to conceal comfortably.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I think both the 9mm and 40 are the same size gun, so obviously one is going to kick a lot more in comparison. The 40 also has some issues with the mag from what I'm told. My gun related experience with S&W has been pretty good, so if I had a compelling reason to go with the 40 I would, with the idea that if there were a problem S&W would make it right for me. That HASN'T been the case with some of their other non-firearm products for me..

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I just shot my buddies .45 XDS the other day for the first time and it is a sweet shooting little gun. Seems like a nice small easy to CC gun. I really liked the red fiber optic front sight on it, made it very easy to focus on. I was only shooting at about 10 yrds but had a nice 5 round grouping that a quarter would cover.

All that said I will still be keeping my Glock 26, but have added a new gun to my want list (which seems to grown every day :D)

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    I think both the 9mm and 40 are the same size gun, so obviously one is going to kick a lot more in comparison. The 40 also has some issues with the mag from what I'm told. My gun related experience with S&W has been pretty good, so if I had a compelling reason to go with the 40 I would, with the idea that if there were a problem S&W would make it right for me. That HASN'T been the case with some of their other non-firearm products for me..

The M&P 9c and M&P 40c are the same size. The Shield is a single stack that comes in 9mm and .40. I am more than likely going with a 9mm. I am debating now on the Shield 9mm (single stack 7+1 I believe) or the M&P 9c (double stack 12+1)

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Gotcha - try and handle them side by side and decide from there. For my money, the Shield is pocketable, the 9c is more of an IWB/OWB, MAYBE ankle - much closer to the Glock 26..

iceman33

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2010
    Indianapolis
    For what it's worth I carry the G27 for CC and it works great and conceals easily. Someone earlier said you have to think about how you dress when it comes to concealability and I agree 100% with that. I am able to carry wearing a bowling shirt or football jersey or any loose-fitting long t-shirt. I went with the G27 because of ease of CC and I have not been disappointed.

Top Bottom