• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stubz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Alexandria, IN
    Just curious why I've never heard anyone talk about the .357Sig chamberings from Glock. :dunno:

Are they the red-headed step-child of Glockdom? Something inherently wrong with them that I haven't dug up on the interwebs yet? Something more sinister?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Nothing inherently wrong with them; the 357SIG caliber just isn't all that popular around here (meaning the Midwest in general; it's gotten a bit more traction on the East Coast and with certain federal agencies).

On the up-side, .40SW is just a barrel change away! ;)

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    I love my g32. Recoil is interesting though and ammo is pricey. Fun to shoot and makes for a hell of a fireball. Itsalso REALLY darn loud :). I want a g33 just not in my buget yet. I think alot of the rarity is due to ammo cost and lack of availiblity to shoot them. Its not really for the recoil sencative ether. It really not bad but seems much worse then it is. Kinda like a 357 mag snubbie without as much sting.

lnholmes

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    West Lafayette/Wabash
    My father has a g31 and it is super accurate for a handgun. Of course that's what 357 sig is known for. The downside is cost, but reloads aren't terribly expensive. Price is the only thing that keeps me from getting one myself.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Nothing wrong with them. Pretty snappy recoil and high priced ammo, but nice guns. I have put quite a few rounds through the G32.

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Thanks for the info guys. Had considered a G32, but wanted some first-hand opinions.

:yesway: Appreciate the insightful responses.

Just go buy one since you're already considering one. I have 2 (32 and 32C) and they are both by far my favorite Glocks. The 32 is my EDC. Great weapon.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Recoil is less snappy/pronounced than a 40, in my experience. Even with very hot reloads, my split times are limited by how fast I can reacquire the sights, not by the recoil.
    Ammo is somewhat expensive, but not horrible; more than 9mm or 40, but usually cheaper than 45. Reloading, ammo will run about the same as 40 depending on the components you use.

It does seem to be a very accurate cartridge. The "Accurate Powder" reloading manuals claims that it is "without a doubt the most ballistically consistent handgun cartridge we have ever worked with." (via wikipedia's page on the 357 SIg) In my own experience, it groups very well, and because its so flat shooting, I don't really have to change POA from 0-25yds.

And the G31/32/33 has the best case support of any of the Glocks as well. If my M&P357 wasn't so darn awesome, I'd get a G31 in a heartbeat. I might buy one anyway, since the M&P357 has been discontinued :( The ability to do a GSSF match and have cheaper mags than the M&P would be nice too.

It is a little bit louder than 9/40/45, however. I get cracks about the noise from the ROs when I shoot USPSA or IDPA with it. :):

I wish they'd make a long slide version, like the G34/35. 125gr @ ~1550fps would be easy out of that longer barrel.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Just curious why I've never heard anyone talk about the .357Sig chamberings from Glock. :dunno:

Are they the red-headed step-child of Glockdom? Something inherently wrong with them that I haven't dug up on the interwebs yet? Something more sinister?

I would guess mostly because of ammo availability and cost.

My EDC is either A G32 or G19. In the past, I also have owned service and tactical sized .40's and shot the .357 out of them with aftermarket barrels.

Recoil is less snappy/pronounced than a 40, in my experience. Even with very hot reloads,

I am glad to hear someone else thinks the same. The .357 does have a more severe blast though.

Reloading, ammo will run about the same as 40 depending on the components you use.

The price difference between 9mm and .40 can be significant when buying bullets. Since the .357 uses basically 9mm bullets, I find it closer to the cost of 9mm.... Only difference is a larger charge of usually a slower burning powder.

I wish they'd make a long slide version, like the G34/35. 125gr @ ~1550fps would be easy out of that longer barrel.

I don't know about easy, but you're right... 1550 can be reached with the long slide Glock... A G35 with a aftermarket barrel... :) It took a max load of Blue Dot... The heavily constructed 125 gr Gold Dot seemed to hold up well to the velocity also. Maybe AA # 9 would perform better ?

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Cost of ammo has never been an issue for me.

Just can't buy the cheap stuff from most retailers. I usually buy bulk from georgia arms, and it's cheaper than 40S&W.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I would guess mostly because of ammo availability and cost.

My EDC is either A G32 or G19. In the past, I also have owned service and tactical sized .40's and shot the .357 out of them with aftermarket barrels.

I am glad to hear someone else thinks the same. The .357 does have a more severe blast though.

The price difference between 9mm and .40 can be significant when buying bullets. Since the .357 uses basically 9mm bullets, I find it closer to the cost of 9mm.... Only difference is a larger charge of usually a slower burning powder.

I don't know about easy, but you're right... 1550 can be reached with the long slide Glock... A G35 with a aftermarket barrel... :) It took a max load of Blue Dot... The heavily constructed 125 gr Gold Dot seemed to hold up well to the velocity also. Maybe AA # 9 would perform better ?

The extra powder and brass make it closer to 40 for me. 9mm brass is practically free, tough to beat that. But the cheaper bullets do help quite a bit.

For a 1550, I think AA9 would work pretty well. I can get 1425-1450 out of the 4.25 M&P barrel using longshot. That's been my go-to powder for the last thousand rounds or so. An OEM Glock 357 barrel that long with polygonal rifling should be good for a few more FPS over the G35 w/aftermarket conventional rifled barrel. What's your blue dot load? I've got about 1/2lb of it laying around. Loved it in 10mm.

I've been meaning to pick up a pound of VV N350 to try.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    I guess i dont see a need for this caliber and it is not that common or sought for...I wish i would have gotten my glocks in 40 cal so i could get a different barrel and run .357 auto through them too ..hindsight is 20/20

lnholmes

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    West Lafayette/Wabash
    Cost of ammo has never been an issue for me.

Just can't buy the cheap stuff from most retailers. I usually buy bulk from georgia arms, and it's cheaper than 40S&W.

Just checked out Georgia arms, I'll have to let my father know about this, it's the cheapest I've seen, even for reloads.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    Ive got a g32 and am very happy with it. I have a lone wolf drop in .40 barrel for it which makes it pretty versatile. And as another said the .357 is easier to shoot then the .40.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The extra powder and brass make it closer to 40 for me. 9mm brass is practically free, tough to beat that. But the cheaper bullets do help quite a bit.

Well, just a few years ago I had a source that the .357 brass was practically free also. It was federal brass with NT,crimped in primers. Now many have learned it's not all that bad to load. Glad I was able to get as much as I did.

What's your blue dot load? I've got about 1/2lb of it laying around. Loved it in 10mm.

I will just say it's not data from Alliant or the Lyman manual. If you go by that, you wont get close.

When using the Speer 125 gr Gold Dot, I went by the data from the Speer manual for actual bullet used. If you look in the Lyman book, their max load with the same Gold Dot is about where the Speer manual starts... :) Actually, my plinking load is right at max according to Lyman # 48. Also, when I was working up, I was also using NEW starline brass, not the once fired I had in bulk.

I also came close using data from Hornady when using their 124 gr FMJ-FP bullet (35567B). That is probably my favorite bullet for plinking. Just like the once fired brass, I also bought a crap load of these bullets years ago in bulk before the prices went thru the roof. I just don't have much interest in downloading this cartridge to the point I could use plated options... If I wanted to do that, I'd put the G32 in the safe and take my G19...

Last edited:

MeatyBacchus

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Nothing wrong with the guns - it's the caliber, expensive, sometimes hard to find, and it doesn't offer anything that a 9MM, .40, or .45ACP can't do.

Top Bottom