Glock 34, I think I want one. Tell me what you know please.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I kinda want the gen 5 MOS but heres where I'm at.

I'd have to add threaded barrel, dead air flip up sights and a red dot.

Problem is. I tried it twice didn't like red dots on pistols. And gen 5 17 mags wont work in my 19x. So it seems like I don't need one.

Let me ease your burden ;)
    Id never suppress a g34.
    Suppress a 26 or a 19. Not the 34

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Let me ease your burden ;)
    Id never suppress a g34.
    Suppress a 26 or a 19. Not the 34

Just wondering why you wouldn't suppress a 34? I'm not going to carry a concealed pistol with a suppressor on it so I've always thought a threaded barrel on a compact to be a waste. Home defense I would have gone for my 34 before my compact carry, anymore I just keep my 300blk at hand for hd and my suppressor will live on it once I get my stamp back.

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    Just wondering why you wouldn't suppress a 34? I'm not going to carry a concealed pistol with a suppressor on it so I've always thought a threaded barrel on a compact to be a waste. Home defense I would have gone for my 34 before my compact carry, anymore I just keep my 300blk at hand for hd and my suppressor will live on it once I get my stamp back.

I'd agree. I'd put a can on a 34 or a 17 before I do it on a 26 or 19.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I got a G34 for uspsa. If I were doing it again I'd have gotten a G17. No real advantage to the G34, other than the extended mag release which is a couple bucks to put into a G17. the extended slide release doesn't work for me, my high grip interferes w/ it an causes the slide to lock back when not intended, so I had to put a G17 slide release in.

The factory adjustable sights are just crap. pure crap. the horrible stock sights on a 17/19 are really bad, but they are great compared to the pure poop that is the adjustable sights. of course, both need replaced, so no big loss there.

I don't see much real benefit for the cost difference...

-rvb

Last edited:

GunErgy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 4, 2018
    Westfield
    What is the appreciable difference between the 17 and the 34 besides the lightened slide and the better factory trigger? I've been looking at the 34, but I'm having a hard time justifying the price difference. I'm leaning towards a 17 MOS and putting a better trigger in it. Thoughts?

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    The slide isn’t actually lighter. It’s longer and the cut out in top makes it the same weight as a G17 slide. The trigger isn’t really much better, just slightly lighter. All Glock triggers can be improved a bit with a quick polish job. IMO the longer sight radius is what makes it. I’ve got a great shooting G17 but I’ll always love my G34s the most.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    First, the 34 is a great gun. I've owned a gen3 and a gen4. The gen3 was my first handgun.

BUT... I'll go against the grain here and say that if you already have a 17, the 34 won't do anything much differently/better than the 17.

I'd suggest buy ammo, training, or a different gun altogether - a 1911, a revolver, a CZ 75, a Sig, etc. That's my 2 cents. I mention those other guns specifically because they've made me a better shooter and proven to be VERY enjoyable and reliable
    RIGHT HERE!!

Carmel Corn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Carmel
    The slide isn’t actually lighter. It’s longer and the cut out in top makes it the same weight as a G17 slide. The trigger isn’t really much better, just slightly lighter. All Glock triggers can be improved a bit with a quick polish job. IMO the longer sight radius is what makes it. I’ve got a great shooting G17 but I’ll always love my G34s the most.

Haven't shot a 34 yet, is there much difference in how the weight feels vs. a 17?

GunErgy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 4, 2018
    Westfield
    Thanks Mike. I assumed the slightly longer slide wouldn't have been as much material as the relief cut in the top or the shave job on the sidewalls. Curious as to what sight setup you are running on the 34? I recently shot my buddy's S&W 9 with a trijicon RMR and was a big fan.

GunErgy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 4, 2018
    Westfield
    Haven't shot a 34 yet, is there much difference in how the weight feels vs. a 17?

Carmel Corn - I went today and shot the 17 and the 34 (5 shots each). I couldn't tell a difference in the trigger or overall weight at all. The 34 was noticeably heavier in the nose, but I did think it kept the recoil down. Only so much you can tell with only 5 rounds though.

Carmel Corn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Carmel
    Carmel Corn - I went today and shot the 17 and the 34 (5 shots each). I couldn't tell a difference in the trigger or overall weight at all. The 34 was noticeably heavier in the nose, but I did think it kept the recoil down. Only so much you can tell with only 5 rounds though.

Thanks GunErgy. The 34 being heaver in the nose sounds logical to me. I would be curious if my accuracy would improve at all. Last time I was at PB in Carmel, they had a Glock model where some of the metal from the slide is removed (open) to presumably cut down on weight. While I want to say it was a 34, now I am not sure.

GunErgy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 4, 2018
    Westfield
    Thanks GunErgy. The 34 being heaver in the nose sounds logical to me. I would be curious if my accuracy would improve at all. Last time I was at PB in Carmel, they had a Glock model where some of the metal from the slide is removed (open) to presumably cut down on weight. While I want to say it was a 34, now I am not sure.

Yeah the one with the opening, or relief, in the slide is the 34.

Xterminator

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 11, 2018
    Terre Haute
    I use to shoot a glock but I switched brands & my shooting got better. That brand that I switched to???..CZ. try one out they are excellent. Glock 34 didn't shoot any better than 17 or 19 for me ..but different strokes folks. Lol

jt1975

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    Whiteland
    I own both 17 and 34 gen 3, not a big noticeable difference. The 17L might be a different story, but haven't had a chance to shoot one of those yet.

Top Bottom