• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • racegunz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 6, 2015
    Indiana
    How about an economic argument? You reload right? You probably should.

But: Cost of Ammo! Now that you're serious, you're going to shoot a lot. 10,000 rounds a year. But you're also going to practice, so you'll be pushing 20,000 rounds a year. I bet everybody who has replied to this thread fired over 10,000 rounds this year. Some shoot over 20k a year.
    .40S&W = 0.19/r * 10k = $1,900 on ammo.
    9mm = 0.15/r * 10k = $1,500 on ammo.
    That's a FREE G35 this time next year.
    20K a Year?????????!!!!!! I did that much one year in all my time shooting USPSA about 10-12 years ago! I shot maybe 4k rounds this year. Sooo to be "competitive" the shooting is important but there's much more to it than pumpng rounds out of your pistol!

Oh and to be serious in Limited you need a SV or a STI 2011. Justin's/Joey's skill with a Glock not withstanding HAHA!

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Open a credit card that earns air line miles
    Buy the Glock 35 if that is what you prefer (if you are really serious, buy two)
    Buy DK Trigger, Taran Sights, Carver Magwell
    Bladetech with Boss hanger or similiar
    10-15 mags

Dillon 650 or 1050
    10k pieces of brass
    10K primers
    Powder
    10K bullets
    or
    call T1 ammo and order ammo

Go shoot, use the airline miles you get from the above to go to Area and Section Matches

racegunz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 6, 2015
    Indiana
    Buy the Glock 35 if that is what you prefer (if you are really serious, buy two)
    10-15 mags

Dillon 650 or 1050
    10k pieces of brass
    10K primers
    Powder
    10K bullets
    or

Go shoot, use the airline miles you get from the above to go to Area and Section Matches

Easy don't scare him off Jake. I mean you can get by with a LEE reloader :laugh:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    All of the preceding advice is excellent. There really is no way anyone can know what gun they want to shoot for matches until they have shot a lot of matches (and sometimes not even then). A Glock 35 is not a big investment in the scheme of things, though.

The reloading gear will be useful regardless of the shooting platform. More match experience will be useful regardless of the shooting platform.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    10-15 mags

Dillon 650 or 1050
    10k pieces of brass
    10K primers
    Powder
    10K bullets
    or

Ladies and Gentlemen, Jake Martens-Crack Dealer.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    20K a Year?????????!!!!!! I did that much one year in all my time shooting USPSA about 10-12 years ago! I shot maybe 4k rounds this year. Sooo to be "competitive" the shooting is important but there's much more to it than pumpng rounds out of your pistol!

I wonder if the dot and comp make it easier to retain your shooting skill without the high round count?

And I want a new gun. It is time.

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    ACC said:
    So...if I'm serious about competing in USPSA limited, do I need to step up to a G35 in order to maximize my potential for winning? Or do people win matches shooting 9mm?

I'd shoot the 9mm for a while. If I'm not mistaken all the basepads and mag pouches are the same. Then after a while and you are still happy with the Glock, go for the 40, or you might want something different. But there is not a reason why you can not win matches with a Glock. Plenty of shooters do.

Now that you're serious, you're going to shoot a lot. 10,000 rounds a year. But you're also going to practice, so you'll be pushing 20,000 rounds a year. I bet everybody who has replied to this thread fired over 10,000 rounds this year. Some shoot over 20k a year.
    .40S&W = 0.19/r * 10k = $1,900 on ammo.
    9mm = 0.15/r * 10k = $1,500 on ammo.
    That's a FREE G35 this time next year.

The cost difference between my production 40 loads and production 9 loads is $10 per 1000 (.01/rd).

I wonder if the dot and comp make it easier to retain your shooting skill without the high round count?

I would guess that most people in the thread are not shooting over 10k a year. Assuming you go to a match every weekend starting in April until the end of Nov, that's 5k rounds. That would leave you with another 5k to practice with (150 per week or 300 every other week). With 4k per year, shooting a match twice a month would be 2.5k and that would leave you with 1.5k for practice (150 one week a month). If you already developed your skills, I would think that would be enough to keep you competitive. Probably not at the top of your game but likely 85 to 90% of it. Most training can be done in dryfire.

Last edited:

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    If you want to shoot Production use your existing Glock 34.
    If you want to shoot Limited buy a Glock 35.

The same belt, mag pouches and holsters will work for either handgun. The cost of a Glock 35 is relatively low spread over the course of a year's worth of matches. You will spend more on ammo, match fees, travel (gas, food) than you will on the Glock.

Shoot for a year and then decide if you want to stick with the Glock, buy a more expensive handgun or maybe you will decide that you want to try a different sport. I shot G34 and G35 for a couple of years before placing an order for a custom gun. The extra $500 or so for a G35 was worth it to me for the times I wanted to shoot Limited and to get a feel for .40 S&W. It provided me with backup parts, the cost was amortized over the amount of fun I had and at the end of the process I was left with a G35 that will be my backup gun when/if my custom gun fails.

That was my approach but Max and others have been doing this much longer (and better) and give good advice.

Training and a reloading press are definitely good investments if you want to shoot a lot of matches.

Top Bottom