• ...and so much more!
  • JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Are you considering buying it?

Not a bad caliber, just never really caught on and the ammo is hard to find and usually pretty expensive.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    G.A.P. = Glock Automatic Pistol

It is a round that Glock designed to get .45 ACP type ballistics out of a gun in a 9mm or .40 s&w size frame.
    Some people like it some hate it. I believe they were hoping it would catch on with the law enforcement market, but no such luck. It kind of died for the most part.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Glock site.

G.A.P. Glock Automatic Pistol. I am attaching a link to Glock's website. On there click on models and then on G37 and it will give you the specs. As posted earlier it got off to a very slow start as far as being accepted by Law Enforcement and others, however it now seems to be gaining in popularity and has been adopted and is the duty weapon of several State Police agencies including Pennsylvania and Florida. I have shot the model 37 and it was a very sweet shooter, .45 punch without the heavy recoil of the .45 A.C.P. It would be nice if you could shoot it before buying but IMHO it is a great firearm. Ammunition is still pretty scarce for it around here though, you won't find it at Wal-Mart but it is available online. I am also including a link to Glock-Talk where there is much more information about the G37 or any other Glock. :)

Link: GLOCK "Safe Action Pistols"

Link: Glock Talk - Powered by vBulletin

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    G.A.P. = Glock Automatic Pistol

It is a round that Glock designed to get .45 ACP type ballistics out of a gun in a 9mm or .40 s&w size frame.
    Some people like it some hate it. I believe they were hoping it would catch on with the law enforcement market, but no such luck. It kind of died for the most part.
    I love mine.. 45 in a 9mm size package.. Ammo costs a little more and not available at wally world but most gunshops have it. .. Last I knew 7 State police agencies are using it so it hasn't quite died yet.
    :twocents:

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I carried one for a year or so. I believe in the GAP idea. I switched back to 9mm due to practice ammo costs. People who say it was an answer to a question no one asked are incorrect. There are many people who wanted a Glock 19 with .45 ballistics. (Or Glock 26, or Glock 17). The .45 GAP solution answered that problem. I believe the Glock 9mm & .40 frames are perfect, and the .45ACP frames are uncomfortable. If you happen to share that same feeling and want .45 ballistics....the GAP is your best friend. If you don't happen to have that issue, then you can ignore it completely.

Honestly, Glock did themselves a disservice. They marketed it as a replacement for the .45ACP. What they didn't expect is is all of the old codgers holding onto their .45ACP beliefs and history. They absolutely could not displace the love of 1911s in the standard caliber and immediately pissed off 1911 fans (which is a HUGE subset of gun owners). That is the reason why when you ask on here you get flamed, and why if you mention GAP in a gun shop you will get laughed out of there. It does solve a specific problem, but everyone and their mom hates the idea simply because it tried to step on the toes of .45ACP.

Glock got too big for its britches and should have stayed as a niche solution for a few people. I've heard many police agencies like it because women can get a good grip, but the agency can retain .45 ballistics. By the way...the .45 GAP doesn't use higher pressures, it just removes the extra space that is left in .45ACP cases by today's more efficient powders. From a purely economical standpoint, we should all switch to .45GAP (less brass). From a real-world standpoint...no chance in hell.

They are sweet shooters. The ole' solution in search of a problem line gets thrown around a time or two in every GAP thread. If it fits what you are looking for then go for it. Check around for ammo availability. It's available, but you have to be willing to search a little or buy online.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I carried one for a year or so. I believe in the GAP idea. I switched back to 9mm due to practice ammo costs. People who say it was an answer to a question no one asked are incorrect. There are many people who wanted a Glock 19 with .45 ballistics. (Or Glock 26, or Glock 17). The .45 GAP solution answered that problem. I believe the Glock 9mm & .40 frames are perfect, and the .45ACP frames are uncomfortable. If you happen to share that same feeling and want .45 ballistics....the GAP is your best friend. If you don't happen to have that issue, then you can ignore it completely.

Honestly, Glock did themselves a disservice. They marketed it as a replacement for the .45ACP. What they didn't expect is is all of the old codgers holding onto their .45ACP beliefs and history. They absolutely could not displace the love of 1911s in the standard caliber and immediately pissed off 1911 fans (which is a HUGE subset of gun owners). That is the reason why when you ask on here you get flamed, and why if you mention GAP in a gun shop you will get laughed out of there. It does solve a specific problem, but everyone and their mom hates the idea simply because it tried to step on the toes of .45ACP.

Glock got too big for its britches and should have stayed as a niche solution for a few people. I've heard many police agencies like it because women can get a good grip, but the agency can retain .45 ballistics. By the way...the .45 GAP doesn't use higher pressures, it just removes the extra space that is left in .45ACP cases by today's more efficient powders. From a purely economical standpoint, we should all switch to .45GAP (less brass). From a real-world standpoint...no chance in hell.

They are sweet shooters. The ole' solution in search of a problem line gets thrown around a time or two in every GAP thread. If it fits what you are looking for then go for it. Check around for ammo availability. It's available, but you have to be willing to search a little or buy online.

That's the best explanation I've ever read. Rep incoming.

I had problems with the original large frame Glocks, but since they introduced the SF variants I find them perfectly manageable.

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    I had one that I traded to a member on here. It was a great pistol and I liked the ease of cc with it and the frame size (9mm like g17 or g19 frame and 45 cal to boot). IMO theyre gtg!

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    just remember these were offered on a few sights a year or so ago for dirt cheap because of how unpopular they are. IIRC you could pick up a brand new one for $350ish.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I was always confused as to why they opted for the SF versions AND did the GAP round but I guess there still is a slight difference in the frame size on the GAP models versus the ACP models.

I will say that I've shot a G37 and I genuinely liked the gun. Big bullet, manageable size, recoil is very tame...my only issue with owning one is that I already own 3 pistols in .45 ACP and wouldn't find much of an opportunity to do much with it other than own it. I am spread pretty thin when it comes to budget and while I could always reload for it I don't want to buy a gun that would only see paper targets; I'd be a brass horder/nazi at the range and I like all my pistols that I buy to go through a carry rotation and a competition rotation and hunting down all my GAP brass would be too much effort for not much gain.

I'm a huge Glock fan and would eventually like to own one but I'm not quite at that point where I can drop coin on something that wouldn't see much use.

Top Bottom