• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • djhuckle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2012
    If you have the option of getting a .380 and a 9mm that are identical sizes, why would you want the .380? Less recoil is the only positive really.

Mcolson181

Marksman
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Nov 11, 2012
    SE Indiana
    I think I read somewhere that part of the reason it was made was for the Brazilian market. In Brazil they can't carry a handgun that accepts a round that is used with the military.

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I think I read somewhere that part of the reason it was made was for the Brazilian market. In Brazil they can't carry a handgun that accepts a round that is used with the military.

Agreed, I read that in an article too. Just no market here in the US. They could always produce the frame here in the Georgia factory so they don't have to worry about all the compliance points, but its probably not worth their money and time. They already make a gazillion other Glocks that are identical.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009

i thought it was mexico? thats why the .38 super is so popular south of the border

i know italy is the same way thats why they love the 9x21

sparks408

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    the closest thing to a glock .380 is a gun they call the "baby glock" diamondback db.380 auto
    90742_01_baby_glock_diamondback_db380_n_640.jpg

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    >>not made here and dont meet import requirements

As I understand the issue with the Glock .380, it has a blowback breech vs. a locked breech. In an attempt to limit imports of "low cost/low quality" firearms (i.e. Saturday Night Specials) which supposedly criminals prefer, the laws were changed to prohibit blowback breech designs for import.

The Diamondback DB380, however, is a locked breech. But it's made in Florida, USA so it could be either type.

I'm sure Glock could make a .380 for US import if they wanted to. My guess is that they are so busy making the handguns that they already import that they don't need to add more options.

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I read Glock is building a manufacturing facility in Georgia.
    I personally think they would sell a ton of them. They won't be that much more than a Bersa and Diamondbacks and will have better name recognition.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    jwh, it's the caliber that is keeping it out. Not enough points for a .380.

Why do you think that Gaston had to design those goofy adjustable sights? Right because the 17 was just shy of the points and the "sporty" sights got it over the line.

Glock would sell the .380 and not just to the Glock collectors. The .380 is an enormously popular caliber, and I will now attempt to say this in a non-dick manner, with a certain segment of the personal protection market who like it for the lack of recoil and the size of the guns.

As Glock is a known name beyond us silly gun nuts, I would believe it would sell.

Magnum

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    North Indy
    jwh, it's the caliber that is keeping it out. Not enough points for a .380.

Why do you think that Gaston had to design those goofy adjustable sights? Right because the 17 was just shy of the points and the "sporty" sights got it over the line.

Glock would sell the .380 and not just to the Glock collectors. The .380 is an enormously popular caliber, and I will now attempt to say this in a non-dick manner, with a certain segment of the personal protection market who like it for the lack of recoil and the size of the guns.

As Glock is a known name beyond us silly gun nuts, I would believe it would sell.

You're completely right. I bet it would outsell the 45 GAP and maybe even the .357 Sig.

Top Bottom