• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dancrichy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I have a Glock 43, with less than 2,500 rounds through it that is not firing. When the firing pin is out of the slide, it’s solid and firm. Once the firing pin is put into the slide and the back slide keep is put back on, there is some play with the firing pin, leading it to not pull back right.

When the slide is off, you can manually set the trigger and it has a clean break, but when the slide is put on, there is no set to the trigger, aka, it has something preventing it from breaking releasing the pin (which is loose anyway as above), so it just pulls with no break.

Could this be a bad firing pin, or is there something else going on?

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    The only thing I could see hapoening if the firing pin is.not being released by the crucible. Is there a burr on the ramp that the firing pin slides on? I'd like to see it to be sure but I bet any other Glock armorer could t&e it no problem for you.

dancrichy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Did the problem just arise? Or did it come after disassembly?

It just arose. I bought it used from a friend. He made one modification to it that could be cause it, but not sure. He beveled the edges of the ejector spring stop (firing pin safety), and after talking with some people wonder if it finally wore out too much on the bevel. I’m trying to swap it out to see.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    It just arose. I bought it used from a friend. He made one modification to it that could be cause it, but not sure. He beveled the edges of the ejector spring stop (firing pin safety), and after talking with some people wonder if it finally wore out too much on the bevel. I’m trying to swap it out to see.

I would be on the safe side and replace everything your friend likely touched. In this case, I'd replace the entire firing pin mechanism (pin, sleeve, spring, and cups... probably even the polymer sleeve in the slide) and the firing pin safety and spring. Glock parts are cheap and new parts are cheap insurance.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    It'd be great to find someone at your range with another G43 to do a hands on comparison of parts.

Sadly the G43 isn't hotness that it once was, after Glock's "wiseness" of changing the magazine configuration for the 43X and G48.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    It'd be great to find someone at your range with another G43 to do a hands on comparison of parts.

Sadly the G43 isn't hotness that it once was, after Glock's "wiseness" of changing the magazine configuration for the 43X and G48.

It still has a place being as small as it is (but magazine compatibility between it and the 43X/48 would be nice). That being said, I did sell mine after I bought my 48.

I've been a Glock armorer for 15 years and would be happy to look at it, but Indy is pretty far away.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Tough to figure out without looking at it. I'm in the Greenwood/Bargersville area and I've been a Glock armorer for a minute or two, message me if you'd like me to take a look at it.
    It's a Glock, I can't imagine there's a lot wrong with it.

I was gonna float your name to the OP earlier in the thread, but lost track of it.

dancrichy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I have a Glock 43, with less than 2,500 rounds through it that is not firing. When the firing pin is out of the slide, it’s solid and firm. Once the firing pin is put into the slide and the back slide keep is put back on, there is some play with the firing pin, leading it to not pull back right.

When the slide is off, you can manually set the trigger and it has a clean break, but when the slide is put on, there is no set to the trigger, aka, it has something preventing it from breaking releasing the pin (which is loose anyway as above), so it just pulls with no break.

Could this be a bad firing pin, or is there something else going on?
    UPDATE: The problem was with the trigger bar. It was not depressing the firing pin safety. Ordered a new one and it now works flawlessly.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    I would be curious to see a pic of the defective trigger bar.. I don't think I've ever noticed the arm that depresses the FPS worn on anything I've worked on.

Is that not an area that people tend to "polish" so that it allegedly slides along the bottom of the safety easier? I suspect excessive polishing may be the culprit.

... I just read the earlier post where the safety was modified, which leads me to believe the mating surface was likely also modified.

In the Gen 5 pistols Glock actually beveled the firing pin safety to help lighten the trigger pull (they actually completely redesigned it).

Top Bottom