• ...and so much more!
  • jb1911

Expert
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Dyer, IN
    Just remember, the slide stop lever(not slide release nor slide catch) is exactly that. A slide stop. The slide stop lever should not be used to release the slide. Continually using the slide stop will cause premature wear on the stop and it will eventually fail. The correct method is to manually rack the slide. By racking the slide, you will assure that the gun goes into full battery.
    I disagree with this. Also, I love my G43, my favorite Glock so far. Zero problems and it fits my hands like a you know what.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Just remember, the slide stop lever(not slide release nor slide catch) is exactly that. A slide stop. The slide stop lever should not be used to release the slide. Continually using the slide stop will cause premature wear on the stop and it will eventually fail. The correct method is to manually rack the slide. By racking the slide, you will assure that the gun goes into full battery.

So why are slide stops checked and serrated on almost every firearm there is?

You do realize what you just said is patently false. If using the slide release on a firearm causes excessive wear, it's time to buy a better firearm.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    So why are slide stops checked and serrated on almost every firearm there is?

You do realize what you just said is patently false. If using the slide release on a firearm causes excessive wear, it's time to buy a better firearm.

I agree with Poppy and I can guarantee you that most trainers will agree. It is a slide stop not a slide release.

Hand over the slide to rack the slide is the proper way to release the slide. This is the same method you use for clearing a stove pipe. When you practice the tap rack shoot drill it teaches you to strip the stove pipe out during the racking method.

As far as the checkered or serrated pattern. It is there so you can get good contact on it when you need to lock the slide open.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've been to four Glock armorer's courses, the advanced course twice and a troubleshooting seminar. The instructors in every one of them stated that it is not recommended that the slide stop be used to drop the slide (in spite of what the manual says). It's a stamped part that will wear and once it does it will no longer perform its most important function of locking the slide open when the last round is fired. This is not necessarily the case with all pistols, the slide stop on a 1911 is much more substantial and better suited to being used to drop the slide.

Bottom line is, it's your pistol and you can do whatever you want. Does it work to drop the slide? It sure does, do I do it? Negative.

Lowe0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 22, 2015
    Indianapolis
    My M&Ps do this occasionally, but I've since learned that is bad for the magazine to do this, so I've tried to smooth out my mag inserts so that it doesn't happen.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Glocks aren't designed to chamber a round upon seating a full mag.

Most semi-autos are not designed to do this.

I've had friends return Kahrs and Kimber Solos to the factory to have this behavior fixed.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've been to four Glock armorer's courses, the advanced course twice and a troubleshooting seminar. The instructors in every one of them stated that it is not recommended that the slide stop be used to drop the slide (in spite of what the manual says). It's a stamped part that will wear and once it does it will no longer perform its most important function of locking the slide open when the last round is fired. This is not necessarily the case with all pistols, the slide stop on a 1911 is much more substantial and better suited to being used to drop the slide.

Bottom line is, it's your pistol and you can do whatever you want. Does it work to drop the slide? It sure does, do I do it? Negative.

Stellar info as always sir. Thank you! :ingo:

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

Not going to argue that current think says running the slide is much better than using the release, but I will argue in favor of the fact that on the majority of firearms out there the slide release is not some after thought that isn't intended to be used. Glock are a tad unique in this regard, but it also begs the question that if they're not supposed to be used to drop the slide on a glock, why do some models of glocks come with a OEM extended slide release?

In fact, some guns like Kahr specifically state to NOT run the slide, but always chamber a round using the slide release.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Not going to argue that current think says running the slide is much better than using the release, but I will argue in favor of the fact that on the majority of firearms out there the slide release is not some after thought that isn't intended to be used. Glock are a tad unique in this regard, but it also begs the question that if they're not supposed to be used to drop the slide on a glock, why do some models of glocks come with a OEM extended slide release?

In fact, some guns like Kahr specifically state to NOT run the slide, but always chamber a round using the slide release.
    Yes, to address a USER problem.

From their FAQ.
    Q. My firearm fails to chamber the first round when I pull back the slide and release it. What is wrong?

A. It is likely you are either failing to pull the slide fully back or you are riding the slide as you release it. We recommend that you lock back the slide, insert the magazine, and release the slide with the slide stop. This will require that you carry a load in the chamber for self defense purposes. However, the passive safety system will prevent the pistol from firing unless the trigger is pulled, even if the gun is dropped. If you would prefer not to carry a round in the chamber, you may remove a round from the magazine. This alters the angle of the bullet and will allow it to chamber even if you ride the slide.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I will argue in favor of the fact that on the majority of firearms out there the slide release is not some after thought that isn't intended to be used.

I don't think it was an afterthought. I think pistols that require you to insert an empty magazine to lock the slide open are beyond stupid. It could be that once the pistol was produced and began seeing significant use they discover that the slide stop would wear and decided to recommend against using it to drop the slide on a regular basis.

why do some models of glocks come with a OEM extended slide release?

For me personally, I can't lock the slide open with the standard slide stop without shifting my grip. The extended moves it back farther where I can.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    My M&P FS 9mm would go into battery when I would throw a magazine in. I didn't like it, as none of my other guns have ever done that. Cost me a procedural on an IDPA stage once due to RO not believing the gun did that. I can see that if you are used to that, it could be tough to get used to not having it. As far as the knuckle... no idea we must not hold the same way. I have never experienced that.
    I had an M&P out at the range on Sunday, and if I slammed the mag in hard enough it would release the slide.

jb1911

Expert
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Dyer, IN
    It's your pistol, do what you want with the slide release. If it wears out they don't cost that much to replace.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Auto-forward of a slide upon inserting a magazine is almost always a byproduct of guns with polymer frames. The flex that occurs in the polymer frame does not happen with 100% consistency with any brand of polymer handgun or even 100% with a given model of polymer handgun. It rarely happens with steel or aluminum framed handguns unless someone "tunes" the angles of the slide release to make it happen.

I personally like it when a handgun auto-forwards, but I hate that no handgun I own can be depended upon to do so 100% of the time. My full-size M&Ps would do it pretty regularly, but my my M&P Shields have never done it. Years ago, my Glocks did it randomly, but my 1911s never.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    It's your pistol, do what you want with the slide release. If it wears out they don't cost that much to replace.
    This. The epidemic of slide catches wearing out simply doesn't exist. Replace it yearly if you run it hard.

RW97

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2016
    Muncie
    I thought you were just trolling when you said you slammed the mag and the slide automatically went into battery. Have never tried this and I've never had it happen. Interesting story though.

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN

This. I always "Tac reload", and I teach new shooters the same way.

As far as the autoloading phenomenon, all of my HK pistols do it. It's in the manuals that it will do it, and I like it personally. Saves time.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Auto-forward of a slide upon inserting a magazine is almost always a byproduct of guns with polymer frames. The flex that occurs in the polymer frame does not happen with 100% consistency with any brand of polymer handgun or even 100% with a given model of polymer handgun. It rarely happens with steel or aluminum framed handguns unless someone "tunes" the angles of the slide release to make it happen.

I personally like it when a handgun auto-forwards, but I hate that no handgun I own can be depended upon to do so 100% of the time. My full-size M&Ps would do it pretty regularly, but my my M&P Shields have never done it. Years ago, my Glocks did it randomly, but my 1911s never.
    In my military years carrying the M9, I could auto-forward nearly every mag change, it wasn't intended, just was. That being said, I treat that little do-hicky as a slide LOCK, and always slingshot the slide to chamber.

Top Bottom