• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nickman54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Just picked up a G26 gen3 NIB. I have heard of people breaking in new guns by running some cheap FMJ through them. IS this necessary on a G26? If so how many rounds do you think ought to be ran through to call it sufficint?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    All Glocks that I have ever handled were good to out of the box. But I would never trust a gun I had not shot a considerable amount.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    When I read the title of the thread I seriously thought the factory may have been robbed. ;)

I think the break in is for what you need to shoot to feel comfortable with the weapon and to insure it runs on the ammo you desire.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Congrat's on the G26!

Glocks are usually very reliable out of box and seldom have issues. However, with that said...

If this is going to be a concealed carry pistol... It is advisable that you run at least a hundred rounds of your carry ammo through the pistol prior to carrying it.

You want to make sure that if you have to use your weapon, it will function properly. And some guns can be picky on ammo. Glocks don't tend to be that way...but it is best to make sure and have no doubts.

bmyers

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    I've never heard of breaking in a glock. Heard of breaking a semi auto shotgun and that sort of thing, but not a glock. There are many glock with 100k plus rounds through them, so I'm not sure what constitutes a "break in".

That being said if you plan to carry it, I'd put a couple hundred through it anyway.

Tactical Flannel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    Very good question.....
    Just as others have said already, Glocks don't require a break in period as other firearms recommend.
    With that said, just as other posters have already stated, you do need to fire several rounds of the carry ammunition you intend to utilize to ensure the 100% functioning of the weapon.
    Glocks are highly reliable machines. But machines non the less, meaning they can fail for one reason or another. My guys' usually fire 50 -200 rounds through new weapons and I have yet to see one not function..... now the sights being off is another issue. But that is why we train with them before we carry them.... right?

Stay safe

danatkins

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    break in on a glock lmao that's humorous my g22 may only have a couple mags thru it but i've put close to 1k thru my dad's gen1 g17 n it's never jammed

nickman54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Thanks

For the replies. I took it out and ran a box of my go to ammo through it. I really enjoyed the pistol and the trigger wasnt as bad as i though it was gonna be. I need to get some FMJ to get proficient.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I think you can find videos of people shooting a Glock 17 10,000 straight. They have the magazines laid out on a table. The magazines are kept full and another person keeps firing the Glock.

Not a very interesting video, IMO.

Warsaw214

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Warsaw
    Glock Break-in recommendation... It Depends

It depends, is always my best advice! Are we speaking Gen 3 or 4? What model? etc..

I have a Glock 23 G4 for CC and Glock 35 G4 for competition. When they first came off the production line there were issues on some models with the new duel recoil spring assy. Personally, I ran 1000 rounds for confidence in carrying for personal protection and softening spring recoil. Reality is that there is nothing preventing a factory assembly worker from a having a bad day... just hoping it's not on your purchase isn't a winning strategy. Also, its recommended recoil spring replacement is 5000 rounds... but again it depends! Is it for CC, competition or recreational, etc.

10-96

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    No break-in needed for the G. However, when first purchased, I cycle my G's by firing whatever ammo I'm going to be carrying through all the magazines just to make sure everything is GTG. So far no problems. Once the G is GTG functionally, the only break-in is for the shooter to gain comfort and accuracy with the G and holster so that you can, as if by instinct, react/draw/fire properly in response to any threat.

Top Bottom