• Glock 21 or 34 for home defense/SHTF to accompany my EDC 26

• Total voters

nsheepdog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Carmel, IN
    I am trying to decide whether to get a Glock 21 (Gen 4) or Glock 34 (Gen 4). I have a 26 and I'm happy with it and carry it.

I was thinking of getting the 21 for a home defense pistol to accompany my shotgun. I would mount a light on it and probably some night sights.

However, now I'm thinking a 34 might be fun too because it, in theory, could function as a home defense weapon as well with a light. It would be cheaper to shoot and shoot accurately as well.

I would like to hear some thoughts from fellow INGOers.

AlwaysVigilant

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2013
    Michigan, by way of Indianapolis
    I voted for the 21. Nice to have a second caliber, and the 21 is the best shooting .45 I have ever laid hands on (obviously personal preference). Full size pistols make great HD guns for clearing the house. If you're feeling frisky, get a light on it and a suppressor and you are made in the shade!

wwdkd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Valparaiso
    I vote Glock 34 although I would personally look for an early gen 3 model. I had the gen 4 model and it shot great and felt much better in the hand than the gen 3 but I had problems with the extractor like so many others with the gen 4. For that reason I'd go gen 3 on any Glock. I'd rather sacrifice a little comfort for better reliability. :twocents:

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    I'd suggest the 21, but find a Gen 3... ISP has sent back all of their Gen 4 G21 due to several issues. Just sayin...

Also, my Gen 3 didn't fail me, but nor did my G19, my G17, my G30... Simply decided to change my ways from Glock to something else.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I'd go G17 or 34, not just for ammo compatibility, but also the 1-way magazine compatibility.

Do you already have another .45acp of some kind?

nsheepdog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Carmel, IN
    I do like the magazine compatibility.

QUOTE=cosermann;4189130]I'd go G17 or 34, not just for ammo compatibility, but also the 1-way magazine compatibility.

Do you already have another .45acp of some kind?[/QUOTE]

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    No, I don't have a 45 at this time, just the 26 in 9mm.

These are both fine guns. So the choice is basically:

1. Get the .45 acp to add another caliber to your collection. Then buy an adequate stock of .45 acp ammunition (since you don't have any) and an adequate stock of magazines for the new gun.

2. Get the 9mm and buy an adequate stock of full capacity magazines for the new gun (which can also be used as spare mags for the G26), leveraging your existing ammo stock.

Option 1 diversifies your ammo a tiny bit if that's important to you.
    Option 2 is cheaper, maintains ammo compatibility, and some magazine compatibility.

Depends on your situation, desires, and resources. No real wrong answer here.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I'd go G17 or 34, not just for ammo compatibility, but also the 1-way magazine compatibility.

+1 :yesway:

I would go with the G34. We are actually in the process of swiching our dedicate HD gun. We plan on keeping a 9mm in the house as the primary firearm. 9mm is easier to shoot and has a greater capacity compared with our other firearms.

nsheepdog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Carmel, IN
    Good insight. Are you with a department? Curious about the context of the situation you are choosing 9mm for.
    Thanks

+1 :yesway:

I would go with the G34. We are actually in the process of swiching our dedicate HD gun. We plan on keeping a 9mm in the house as the primary firearm. 9mm is easier to shoot and has a greater capacity compared with our other firearms.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Gen 4 G21, no problems so far after the issues I was having was diagnosed as limp wristing and now I have no problems after correcting that. Since you already have shot semi autos, and own a glock, then you wont even have the limp wristing issue. Very comfortable to shoot, and hold, and has been completely reliable.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Said G34 - Ammo and Mag compatibility.

We have 'similar' situation - wife carries a G19 me a G26 ... did that specificialy for 'armory' purposes. Wish i could get these to a 20 and 29 though. :)

Good luck.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Good insight. Are you with a department? Curious about the context of the situation you are choosing 9mm for.
    Thanks

No department, just a lowly agronomist. The situation is that I like to keep a pistol in the house that is dedicated for HD. No long guns because I have small children and the pistol is easy to secure in a small fast access safe and can be used with one hand. The HD is seperate from my carry guns. Basically always in the same place and no reason to coonfinger the gun to take a light on/off. This pistol should have a light, night sights and be manageable enough for my wife to shoot. I did keep a Sig 226 for this role, while my wife kept a PK380. I recently traded the Sig. This left the PK380 with TLR-3. I did not like this option because we secure our doors, have a dog, good lighting, etc. If all that fails it means something bad has happened. There are a difference between stop and quit. I want a gun to stop an intruder. Forget reloading! Middle of the night in my PJs that means I fight with what is in my hand. So I want capacity. The PK380 with 9 rounds of 380 did not make the grade.

My current dedicated gun for the house pistol is a M&P9 with TLR-3. I do keep my Glock 23 and handheld surefire in the safe as well (2 gun safe). The M&P is always in the safe. The Glock and surefire may be in the safe, on my person or in a safe in the truck.

Bigbuck5

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Arcadia, IN
    I voted 34, like other said......ammo and mag compatibility. Honestly, I don't think you can make a bad decision with the choices you listed. If it was me I would probably go with a 17 though.

nm0369

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Indy Southside
    Why did you choose the G34 over a G17? I honestly don't see a reason to have the G34 for close quarters...it's a competition model. A Glock 17 has the same capacity and will be easier to find/cheaper. Not trying to be rude....just wondering. Either way, Glocks go bang....good for HD :rockwoot:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    34 would be my choice for obvious reasons, same caliber and really easy to shoot.. The only thing I enjoy shooting more than my 34 is the Rock Island 22 TCM.

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Why did you choose the G34 over a G17? I honestly don't see a reason to have the G34 for close quarters...it's a competition model. A Glock 17 has the same capacity and will be easier to find/cheaper. Not trying to be rude....just wondering. Either way, Glocks go bang....good for HD :rockwoot:

For that matter there is really no reason to have a G17 over the G34. They are essentially the same size except for a little barrel length. After mounting a light (I would suggest a Streamlight TLR-1) there would actually be no difference in length. This is because the light would stick out beyond the barrel of the G17 anyway. So length is not an issue, not for carry so weight is not an issue, might as well have the easier to shoot gun.

Top Bottom