• ...and so much more!
  • Topshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 16, 2015
    Terre Haute
    <rant>
    I'd have thought with all the aftermarket stuff out there for Glocks I could easily find a basic 2-sided mag release that would work from either side like a FNS9 does. However, there is something in the Glock design that prevents this as all I'm finding is this expensive unit from Ranier Arms that is not ideally what I'm after.
    </rant>
    Anything I'm missing?

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    FN has different style of magazine retention all together. It works ambi because it can pivot either direction to release. The Glock locks up on the selected side rather than the center of the mag.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    It seems to me you are looking for a true ambi mag release...not a reversible mag release. If you can get your hands on some of the true ambi mags out there (like FN or the Ruger American) you will see they lock in place by using a notch or a ledge on the center of the mag. Most guns lock up the mag on one or both of the front corners. This can allow a reversible mag release, but it is difficult to design a true ambi mag release that locks up using the corner method.

Last edited:

Topshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 16, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I own FNS and did own a Ruger American. Had not studied the Glock release until I went looking for what I wanted today and realized it's not truly possible. Guess I'll just flip it around since I'll mostly shoot southpaw.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Make sure you get a gen 4+. If I were a lefty and wanted a glock that suited my needs i'd get an fn509 :D lol I like glocks but the 509 was a nice little pistol too.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Just an observation from running agency ranges. We for a short time had Ruger P95 DAO for a short bit which had ambi mag release. We consistently had issues with some of our shooters manipulating the mag release under recoil thus ejecting the mag partially (1/4") enough that it didn't load it. This was only with right hand shooters though. Experience level was also across the board that this happened too. I believe it was partially the Rugers in particular due to the mag release designed to be push forward I stead on straight into the grip and the fact some right hand shooters never had to worry about buttons like left hand shooters do (being a right hand world and all)

Just something to be aware of if one is in fact right handed with ambis, might be a learning curve depending on design.

Zjhagens

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Glock has produced guns with an ambi mag release. Specifically G21s with ambi release and picatinny rail (vs the standard rail Glocks have). I have seen several complains about this mag release being unreliable - maybe why Glock doens't make it a more available option.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Glock has produced guns with an ambi mag release. Specifically G21s with ambi release and picatinny rail (vs the standard rail Glocks have). I have seen several complains about this mag release being unreliable - maybe why Glock doens't make it a more available option.

I had one, a G21. The issue with them was it wouldn’t always release the mag, I think. Anyhow, if you run across one Glock wants them back and will replace the frame with a gen3 free of charge. Or do like I did and tell them you bought it strictly for the ambi mag release and they will send you a G21 gen 4 free :)

OP, I have found being a south paw it’s best to conform to the right handed world. If every firearm I own could have a ambi mag release I would use it but switching back and forth doesn’t work, you will constantly be thumbing for something that isn’t there.
    That could be disastrous in certain situations.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I think hk and fn pistols are fine substitutes for glocks if you require true ambi control. Availability and mag pricing can suck, but they will preform.

Top Bottom