• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I managed to intrude into AllenM's busy schedule to get him to do a Burris Fastfire III install on my G-17.. I've always been impressed with his work but as usual he's exceeded my expectations. To give a little background, before I retired I worked in a shop, that at one point had over 80 toolmakers. My primary trade was Machine Repair and my job included, at times fabricating parts on a lathe and milling machine. I was also required to draw prints and track the parts I drew through our shop and then install them. I know what a good toolmaker is capable of and I've seen some pretty shoddy work come out of our shop as well as top notch work. To my knowledge Allen has no formal toolmaker training but I would rate his work equal to the top 10% of toolmakers I dealt with. You can judge from the pics, but as I told Allen it appears it wasn't installed but grew from the slide.. I've yet to see anything he's done that wasn't phenomenal work and just wanted to share. (Note that there is a very subtle radius on the rear of the Fastfire that Allen managed to match. Programming that radius took some serious thought and time but it's what I always seen in Allen's work. He's never short where attention to detail is concerned and I have to believe he has the same mentality where the body shop is involved.)..
    Thanks Allen

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Excellent!

Will be just a range toy / competition gun, I presume?

I have a BFIII as well - but on a 22/45. Would love to have it on a "carry gun" - but there are 3 big obstacles in the way of that for me.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    My obstacles:

1) The BFIII isn't an "always on" device thereby making it less than ideal for a carry gun optic
    2) Cost involved in machining a slide to accept the gun
    3) I don't have time for the uptick in practice and training that's needed to maintain proficiency at carrying a dotted carry pistol

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    My obstacles:

1) The BFIII isn't an "always on" device thereby making it less than ideal for a carry gun optic
    2) Cost involved in machining a slide to accept the gun
    3) I don't have time for the uptick in practice and training that's needed to maintain proficiency at carrying a dotted carry pistol

BFIII does have an "automatic" function and according to Burris the battery will last about a year if it's in that mode. It does take a little getting used to but I will be using it for a carry gun.. With a little practice I'm finding it almost as quick to acquire as a laser..

You are welcome Allen, didn't say anything that wasn't true.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Glock certified armorer- M&P Certified armorer[FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Bright Firearms instructor trainee:)

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I saw this gun yesterday. Beautiful machine work on matching the slide to the optic. Simply amazing Allen. You exceeded the parameters and succeeded in a high quality job.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    BFIII does have an "automatic" function and according to Burris the battery will last about a year if it's in that mode. It does take a little getting used to but I will be using it for a carry gun.. With a little practice I'm finding it almost as quick to acquire as a laser..

I guess I need to read my literature a little better! :D

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I guess I need to read my literature a little better! :D
    The II just has low, med and high but the III has a setting that senses ambient light and adjusts accordingly.. IMHO probably the best value for the money in field of mini red dots.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Nice write up and as always very nice work from Allen. I don't trust many people (and I had some really bad experiences on gunsmith work many years ago) and it was probably apparent to Allen during my first interaction with him before I had him do some work on a Glock slide for me. I think I sent him an inbox full of PMs. I can truly say that between that experience, and now unfortunately a few experiences on his shop doing some auto work for me, he is on the short list of trusted folks.

The last time I needed some auto work done, it was on my son's car. I never even saw the car in person before I instructed my son/wife to have it towed to Allen to take care of it.

Come to think of it, I need to think of a new gun project I can afford to take over to Allen...

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    The II just has low, med and high but the III has a setting that senses ambient light and adjusts accordingly.. IMHO probably the best value for the money in field of mini red dots.

Well damn it! I have one of the III's and did not know it had a automatic setting. Guess I should have read the paper work. I really like mine and have been thinking about doing one on a Glock also.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom