• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Been wanting to do this for a while. Why? I don't like the RMR's on my pistols. I've owned the best and I don't like them. Also I believe this could assist in shots at 50 plus yards. I'm thinking the Aimpoint will offer a better sight picture with the dot and be quicker with pinpoint accuracy if I do my part. The extra weight is a tradeoff I'm ok with. I'm not an inexperienced shooter nor trying to fix an accuracy issue.
    Im looking to mount it at the rear of the slide.

Has anyone ran something like this? Or have personal knowledge of someone who has? Let me know your experiences and thoughts. Not really looking for opinions of those who haven't tried this or just want to give opinions about red dots on pistols because you like the old school ways better, although it's ingo so I know I'll probably get them.

Lol, you just have so many guns you're looking for new things to do. I like the plan though. I don't know if I use an aimpoint (too expensive), but I'd try a TRS.

MrsSilverlight

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Now I need to go stomping through the internet to figure out if I'd like this set up.

But probably not for EDC, so no one jump down my throat on that.

Let us know how you like it though, may surprise the hubs with one for xmas.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've shot a few, including Steve Fishers at a Red Dot class. For me they would be a no go for carry. Mostly because of the size, but also because of the non automatic adjusting of the dot intensity. As a game gun it would be just fine although I really like my Delta point pro.

I actually tend to believe A t1 is better for an pistol than an RMR... though I just use an rmr on my carry.... I don't like the exposed laser. Getting lint, or some other obstruction in front of the rmr laser means you will spend a bit of time chasing around trying to find the dot.... plus the rmr has an issue with the battery contacts... but I like the size of the rmr more....

If I were intent on mounting an Aimpoint T-1 on a Glock, I'd use a mount that attaches to the frame and not try to mount it on the slide.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    If I were intent on mounting an Aimpoint T-1 on a Glock, I'd use a mount that attaches to the frame and not try to mount it on the slide.

Frame mounts significantly limit the amount of holsters that are available for a self defense firearm..... hence why I will still suggest a slide mount.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Frame mounts significantly limit the amount of holsters that are available for a self defense firearm..... hence why I will still suggest a slide mount.

That's a good point, but they can be made. Now that more companies are building holsters that grab the light and not the gun, that's going to be less of an issue. Look at the holster SureFire is making now. It will even accommodate a mounted suppressor on the pistol, so doing something similar for guns with frame mounted red dots is doable. In fact, they would just be secure versions of race holsters.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Not for me. I don't like feeling like I have to look through something. I never could feel like inwas superimposing the dot onto something I felt like I was searching for it. I've heard people who use them say it's a matter of training repetition but I couldn't get it to where I was comfortable. The aimpoint micro's aren't even my favorite red dot on a rifle but I figure this will be my last try for a pistol dot sight. If I don't like it I'll only be out a little because I can sell the mount and sell or use the sight.

I'm not sure how changing brand/style of optic will be a cure for a poor index. And to me, looking through a "tube" style site like the aimpoint makes me feel like I'm looking through something more than the RMR type sites, which feel more "open."

Even top shelf shooters (with good vision, more on that later) report being slower to the first shot on targets closer than 15-25y.

that wasn't my experience, even with my ipsc open gun where there are no irons and the dot is WAY above the bore...
    I think it really comes down to practice and a solid index. It may be true when first starting out, but shouldn't be expected as the typical end result.

You've also got to become more comfortable with sight wobble and shooting a "good enough" sight picture instead of waiting for the "perfect" one or you'll slow down.

this is very true, a dot is VERY revealing of what your wobble looks like all the way down range, and can result in over-aiming. fortunately the dot makes shot calling easier so the two factors somewhat even out, and again, with practice, the wobble "problem" goes away.

-rvb

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    rvb - you note the importance of a good index. Did you find that your index was different with the open gun because the dot was well above the boreline?

I think that might be an issue with some iron sight shooters trying dots on pistols for the first time. The present the gun to a height where their eyes, the sights, and the target will be roughly aligned. Pushing the gun to the same height with a red dot probably puts the dot above where they are looking.

I think a good way to acclimate to using a dot on a handgun is to shoot rimfire pistol optics in steel challenge matches (or practice using those stages). The shooter will learn to drive the gun so that the dot comes into view first.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    rvb - you note the importance of a good index. Did you find that your index was different with the open gun because the dot was well above the boreline?

I think that might be an issue with some iron sight shooters trying dots on pistols for the first time. The present the gun to a height where their eyes, the sights, and the target will be roughly aligned. Pushing the gun to the same height with a red dot probably puts the dot above where they are looking.

That's a good question. In my opinion, the issue is WAY over thought. I know a lot of open shooters like the sideways mounts to get their cmores as low as possible to better mimic an irons index. But I never found it to be a big issue. Now granted, when I was getting into open, I dryfired the crap out of it, which is what it takes to get that good index.

The index IS different, but the difference isn't huge. It's the same as with irons, only slightly lower. And w/ a rmr style sight, the difference would be even less pronounced. So if you have a good index, it's not that hard to go to a dot; but if you have a poor index, a dot will seem impossible, IMO.

Now, if one never practices, and expects the dot magically solve all their shooting problems, they'll be very disappointed. Dots add more problems than they solve, at least at first. They are faster in every way, but ONLY if you've put in the work to create the index. I've had guys say they "could shoot like that if they had a race gun, too." I love the look on their face when I hand it to them and they try to shoot it for the first time... If you don't put in the work, it'll be slower in every way.

I've gotten my open gun out to give it a run for the first time since ~'09. I expect to suck until I get some reps in. I put a couple dozen rounds through it a couple weeks ago and it reminded me how unforgiving it is. You have to be able to find that dot not just on a draw, but after a reload, weak hand, etc etc...

Switching between irons and the dot is only a small part of the learning curve on an open gun. Open-division itself requires lots of additional changes in the way I drive the gun, as I'm no longer trying to control recoil, not to mention the relative violence of the gun itself... so those changes take the real work, getting it to "time" correctly. Putting a dot on a glock would be a much easier transition...

-rvb

Last edited:

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    The unity tactical ATOM slide is probably the best solution for mounting a micro on a glock. You get a slide recess rather than frame or dovetail mounting on top of the slide.

Top Bottom