• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • harokyle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    Ok i bought a gen 4 Glock 19 and i really thought that they had fixed the problem but mine did fail to eject the casing 4 times out of 250 rounds. Has anyone had this problem at first but then found that the gun just needed a little breaking in and then it ran fine?

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    People are going to ask:

-Are you new to handguns?
    -What ammo did you use?
    -Were you limp wristing the gun?
    -When did you buy this? (there are new recoil springs available from Glock to fix this.)

My two cents, Glock had a good thing going and the old saying of "If it's not broke, don't fix it" applies here in spades. They could have changed the grip and left everything else alone, but they decided to screw around with mechanical pars that were working just fine and building them an incredible reputation. I think you need to get the new parts Glock is giving away for free and see if that fixes it.

harokyle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    People are going to ask:

-Are you new to handguns?
    -What ammo did you use?
    -Were you limp wristing the gun?
    -When did you buy this? (there are new recoil springs available from Glock to fix this.)

My two cents, Glock had a good thing going and the old saying of "If it's not broke, don't fix it" applies here in spades. They could have changed the grip and left everything else alone, but they decided to screw around with mechanical pars that were working just fine and building them an incredible reputation. I think you need to get the new parts Glock is giving away for free and see if that fixes it.
    The reason glock designed the new recoil spring was to absorb more recoil and it does work. the Gen 3 G26 and G27 have springs like this for this reason. Do you own a gen 4?

harokyle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    i guess this topic has probobly been brought up already in many posts but any imput would be appreciated

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    glocks should not need breaking in. as for the recoil spring, if it is a Gen 4 the spring should say 2 on it.

Glocks are notoriously easy to get to malfunction via limp-wristing.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The reason glock designed the new recoil spring was to absorb more recoil and it does work.

It works when it works.

the Gen 3 G26 and G27 have springs like this for this reason. Do you own a gen 4?

I don't own a gen 4. Mine is a gen 3 SF, but I did show a guy at the range how to break down his new gen 4. It was his first time and he was being a little rougher than he had to with it and a little part on the recoil rod bent. I wasn't impressed with that. I wish they'd have left the recoil system alone and only done the grip mods.

NWIeng

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Hammond
    Ok i bought a gen 4 Glock 19 and i really thought that they had fixed the problem but mine did fail to eject the casing 4 times out of 250 rounds. Has anyone had this problem at first but then found that the gun just needed a little breaking in and then it ran fine?

I don't own a gen 4 G19 anymore, but I ran into the same issue. It had the first spring they issued with these. After a quick call to Glock in GA and two days wait, it ran 100% as expected after that with relatively weak target reloads.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I did had some issues with my G17 gen4 but mine is some of the first gen4, I was using Federal ammo that is known to be weak so that may been part of the issues that I was having. But after those initial malfunctions its been 100% and its by far my favorite Glock and trust it 100%.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I can just barely, and I do mean barely, tell any noticeable difference between the recoil of my Gen 4 G21 and my Gen 3. Shooting them side by side you can tell there's a difference, but in practical application the Gen 4 really doesn't offer much in terms of increased speed of use/target acquisition between shots in my experience.

The 9mm Glocks had minimal recoil to begin with. Putting that spring system in it was over kill and is likely why we see so many problems with it. It's too much spring for such a mild cartridge. I can see why they would want it in the .40 and .45's, but they did it to the 9mm's for the sake of consistency in the product line I fear, and in the process totally messed up the G17/19 series pistols.

If you're having problems with your gun not working, try one of these conversion kits that allow you to run a Gen 3 spring in your gun. Many people have solved their Gen 4 problems using one of these conversions.

GLOCK GEN 4 RECOIL CONVERSION INSERT - Brownells

You will need to buy a Gen 3 spring and guide rod too which is available on the Brownells site too.

GTM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    Bloomington +/- 20 miles
    A Glock should not need breaking in. It should be ready to go straight from the box (with the possible exception of an initial cleaning). There are lots of issues with Gen 4 G19's.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    As with all semi auto's I would not carry until it's had 500 rounds put thru it. This ensures a good smooth action. Nothing like a self defense situation and your gun stops working.
    I know of a few guys that replaced there spring in the Gen4 models.

Last edited:

762Mike

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    My gen 4 G17 has had just as many or more failures as you've had in about the same amount of ammo. I got it used, but only with maybe 100 rounds through it. I've put around 150-200 through it and it has given probably 4 or 5 total malfunctions (MFS brass case ammo). I don't carry it, so I haven't been in a big hurry to run more rounds through it. I'm hoping it "breaks in" and reliability improves. I usually do run 500 or more rounds through a pistol before making it a carry piece anyway.. helps to get to know it.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    The gun itself isn't going to break in. You might get more used to shooting it and the problems may subside, as mentioned the 9mm Glocks are hyper sensitive to how they are held. If you don't have a rock solid grip, they will have the occasional malfunction.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    just for sake of comparison, I bought a brand new Gen 3 G19 a few months ago and have fired exactly 400 (115gr. FMJ), 20 (124gr. +P JHP) and 50 (147gr. JHP) for a total of 470 rounds through it. I have had exactly Z*E*R*O FTF,FTE, or any other unexpected results when pulling the trigger. I think Glock severely over-thought things when designing the Gen 4. Go ahead, follow the market and make a multi-size backstrap, but leave the rest alone. :twocents:

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    Also, I believe the ejector and extractor were changed, and are in both new production gen3 and gen4 glocks. IMO, they messed up bad. My newer gen3 g19 didn't have failures, but ejection was weak and erratic. Traded it in on an early gen3, far fewer brass to my cap and eyes. If you are having failures, just dump it for a gen2 or early gen3. Search "glock serial number project". My "L" serial number g17 gen3 has had 0 failures.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Glock should have recalled and replaced the spring, contact them and they should give you a new "weaker" spring for free.

harokyle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    The gun itself isn't going to break in. You might get more used to shooting it and the problems may subside, as mentioned the 9mm Glocks are hyper sensitive to how they are held. If you don't have a rock solid grip, they will have the occasional malfunction.
    Any gun will Get more broken in with more rounds shot through them. The recoil spring will weeken and other parts will get smoother and move more freely. I just wanted to know if glock had advised to break the gun in for more relablity.

Top Bottom