• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter651

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    I purchased another Glock 23, but this time I made the mistake of buying the Gen 4. Cleaned it, gave it a good once over, loaded 10 rounds and plinked away. Loaded my mag for my next round and when I racked the slide the recoil spring came out the front????

I spoke with Nick Vigliucci a certified Glock Armorer about the issue and he told me to contact Glock for a replacement part. Don't know if they've changed the spring design or have a fix out. Nick basically had nothing positive to say about the Gen 4 and to stay away.

Does anyone know if there is a "lemon law" for firearms or consumer protection that would allow me to return the gun? I'm guessing I'm at the mercy of Glock!

shooter651

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Wow, I am a Glock armorer and one of the armorers for the department I work for. I can honestly tell you that I have never heard of or seen anything like that or even close to that. Please post an update after you talk to Glock and let us know what they had to say.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    That happened with a friend of mines g17. Except it got stuck partway in while the gun was cocking. I was told it took a gunsmith a few hours to fix, but im not sure I believe that. I have never had any issues with my Glocks, and until I saw this just now assumed that my buddy was lying.

shooter651

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    I kid you not! Racked the slide and the spring came through the front. When I spoke to the Glock Armorer he said that he's heard of it before and another guy was coming in to talk to him about the same issue. This is no fake! It surprised the H*$! out of me too!

shooter651

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Yes, I am the "newbie" and yes this is my first post. I love my Glock 3 gen I just don't want to get stuck with the Windows Vista of Glocks!! Hence the return question. I've never had to deal with Glock CS, because they have always just worked! So I don't have any experience with them and don't know how they handle situations like this.

OK after 30 minutes I got the recoil spring out. Had to use some needle noose pliers to take the outer spring over the plastic guide rod and was able to back it out and reassemble. Besides some scratches on the plastic guide rod everything looks OK and it function tested. The spring is stamped 0 3
    I'll post some pictures.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    is that a 22 or 23?

You got my attention as I have a Gen4 23

I have an 03 spring as well.

They've had some weird spring issues with the Gen4's.

I may have to bench my 23 until I get another 500 rounds through it...

Last edited:

shooter651

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Wow!! First Lobo and then remymartin. No I'm not Full of Poo and I'm not quite sure what an "uber Tactical Ninja" is, but I'm really feeling the love... Thanks for the warm welcome!.

Hickman: It's a G23

FYI
    The ammo I used right before this happened was Winchester white box 180 gr

This could be just a one time fluk or localized to my weapon, don't know. This was no typical failure; I could easily handle a FTF of a FTE. I would consider that part of normal break in cycle until I get a solid 300-500 rounds through it. For the spring to come out the front like it did was just plain bizarre and troubling!

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    I have to say that if that happened to my beloved M&P I would be asking for a refund as well. That is what I like to call a major malfunction, something that is not supposed to happen. My bet is that Glock will replace it and make it right, but its still a major malfunction.

Guys keep saying that if there gun wont run 100% then they cant trust there life to it, well if that happened after 10rds I cant say I blame you for wanting to dump it. I know I sure as heck would have some major issues about my M&P with that kind of a problem. But Glock will probely end up making it right, they cant afford to have crappy customer service.

Best of luck with getting the problem fixed and keep us posted on the outcome. Ill reluctantly admit that Glocks might be the king of reliability, but the gen4 has been full of fail for the company. Way to many stories of failures to live up to the Glock motto of "perfection."

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    I had some issues with a G21sf and the wonderful ambi safety. The gun went back to Glock and the made it right. They had to put a new frame on it to make it right but they did without issue.

hoosier_sully

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Valparaiso
    That is bizarre. If you remove the barrel and just set the recoil spring in the muzzle end (like it's supposed to be installed) is there a lot of wiggle room? I can't tell from the picture is the first coil ground flat or rounded?

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    If your recoil spring traveled through the front of your pistol it would have to be smaller than the hole. It looks to me like it is intact........ What really happened? I could see if the polymer spring keeper broke up and failed, but yours is fine????? How'd you stick a 1/2 inch piece through a 3/8 hole, and somehow it is fine after the fact????? I want to know????

Top Bottom