• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    This brings up one thing I wish glocks would change. I wish the striker would come through the back plate.

Then when holstering the pistol you could keep your thumb on the back plate and know if the trigger had snagged something, and even prevent it from discharging in such an event. Many other guns work this way without it causing a problem. I'd expect you could even mod the gun with such a device.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    There's definitely more to the story. Maybe the reporter got it wrong or whatever, but one of the un-named safety features of the Glock is the extra wide trigger guard. I don't know if I've ever seen a report of a walking trigger safety pin in a factory trigger and even if it did, getting snagged on a holster is tough to buy.

I wonder if there's a difference in liability if it's an equipment failure as opposed to being an act of negligence while holstering? That might be a part of the story.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Hmmm, let's see now. The Glock trigger shoe measures .372" wide. The trigger safety pin is in a blind hole so it must be shorter than that. The width of the Glock frame measures 1.157" wide above the trigger safety pin. Divide that width by two plus half the width of the trigger shoe and the pin would have to stick out .392" before it protruded beyond the width of the frame. The trigger guard measures .623" wide just below the trigger pin. Divide that width by two and the pin would have to protrude .311" to clear the trigger guard. Considering it's tucked up pretty tight to the frame I don't think simply clearing the trigger guard would put it into a position where it could get snagged easily. I also find it difficult to believe that the pin could walk out so far as to get snagged yet not cause some issue with the function of the trigger.

2500+ Glock handguns firing 800,000+ rounds a year for 8+ years here and I've never seen a trigger pin walk out.

Still skeptical.

18hk9IBh.jpg

I haven't seen nearly that many but more than my share and I've never seen the pin walk out. Sounds like NMF syndrome (Not my fault). No one wants to be responsible for anything. If it happened as they said I would think that someone would have taken a picture of the offending part and I'm willing to bet we never see such a photo.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    “Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public”

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Ace reporter Nick Blizzard from Dayton was a bit short on input from subject matter experts such as LEO firearms instructor Sgt Shootsalott or Glock armorer Gaston Golck.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If only someone had told us that guns fire without fingers on triggers. If only.

But, who, who would tell us this?

I imagine him to be tall, rugged, square-jawed and have flowing locks of hair, so much hair. So dreamy.

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    This brings up one thing I wish glocks would change. I wish the striker would come through the back plate.

Then when holstering the pistol you could keep your thumb on the back plate and know if the trigger had snagged something, and even prevent it from discharging in such an event. Many other guns work this way without it causing a problem. I'd expect you could even mod the gun with such a device.
    https://taudevgroup.myshopify.com/products/striker-control-device/
    Should be standard from the factory.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Good news, everybody!

https://taudevgroup.myshopify.com/products/striker-control-device

[FONT=&quot]The Striker Control Device (SCD) replaces the slide cover plate on your Glock pistol. When thumb pressure is applied to the SCD it blocks the [/FONT][FONT=&quot]rearward[/FONT][FONT=&quot] motion of the striker, which blocks movement of the trigger bar and prevents the trigger from moving.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]The SCD is completely passive. It does not lock or otherwise interfere with the normal operation of the pistol unless physical force is being purposely applied by the user. When using any normal firing grip, the SCD is not engaged and your pistol fires as usual with no additional steps needed.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The SCD was inspired by standard procedures for double action hammer fired guns. Users are taught to keep pressure on the hammer while holstering. In doing so, trigger motion is blocked and the gun is prevented from firing in the event that something (finger, shirt, thumb break, jacket drawstring, etc.) finds its way into the trigger guard. The SCD provides this same capability for Glock pistols.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The [/FONT][FONT=&quot]SCD[/FONT][FONT=&quot] provides an extra layer of safety when holstering. It does NOT replace awareness and safe gun handling. It creates an additional layer of safety to help avoid accidents. ALWAYS follow the four cardinal rules of firearms safety.[/FONT]

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    When not wearing a duty belt I prefer to "look" my pistol/revolver back into the holster whenever possible.

I've only got a couple/3 years carrying Glocks under my belt. Was a thumb under the safety 1911 carrier when holstering for years.

Maybe I'm the only one who holsters slooooooowly, lightly swinging my hip away from my leg/feet?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

I've only got a couple/3 years carrying Glocks under my belt. Was a thumb under the safety 1911 carrier when holstering for years.

Maybe I'm the only one who holsters slooooooowly, lightly swinging my hip away from my leg/feet?

Nah, plenty of folks holster cautiously. Plenty of reasons to practice getting it out of the bucket quickly, precious few to stuff it back in.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Not a Glock (CZ P10c), but in class Wednesday night, my trigger pin walked out far enough that it prevented reholstering. I have no idea what would have happened if I was just shoving the gun back into the holster instead of holstering slowly and cautiously, but I can honestly say that pins can walk out. It's odd because I'd just put 200 rounds through it the previous week at the range with no problems. About 75 rounds into the class it walked out far enough to prevent the gun going into the holster. I laid it down, tapped it back in and had no further issues with it, but it happened... :dunno:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Glock Triggered When Holstered? - The Firearm BlogThe Firearm Blog

Not an OEM trigger, but video evidence of a Glock firing upon holstering due to a pin walking out.

[FONT=&quot] But the issue was that the retaining [/FONT]safety[FONT=&quot] pin walked out about 1/8” during [/FONT][FONT=&quot]shooting[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. We went to a dry fire portion of the class and the pin had walked out just enough that when it had rubbed against the tight tolerance of his [/FONT][FONT=&quot]kydex[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]holster[/FONT][FONT=&quot], it depresses the [/FONT][FONT=&quot]trigger[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT]

Strikes me as a good reason to not bother with trigger shoes, aftermarket triggers, etc. Also a good reason to verify that the kydex holster doesn't protrude too far into the trigger area. Some of these "vacuum seal" look holsters have a tighter tolerance around the trigger than the width of the trigger guard.

So, while I remain skeptical, it certainly appears the right tolerance stacking and a walking pin can make a no-finger boom occur.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Gotta maintain your equipment.

One should be inspecting their firearm frequently enough to notice when pins start walking out of the trigger or frame.

When I practice my "Sledgehammer" poses in the mirror, I let my drift over every curve and angle of my weapon...every protrusion, every depression...

I would have noticed.

hqdefault.jpg

sledgehammer-newshowad2.jpg

Sledge-Hammer-TV-series-Rasche-c.jpg

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    IMO any gun that was designed using push pins that can just walk out and cause the gun to fire is a gun designed by really stupid people. Every pin used in the lockworks should be locked into the frame solidly with retention. I am not sure who is more to blame for this "accident" - the gun's designers or the dumb customer who bought such a horrible design.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    IMO any gun that was designed using push pins that can just walk out and cause the gun to fire is a gun designed by really stupid people. Every pin used in the lockworks should be locked into the frame solidly with retention. I am not sure who is more to blame for this "accident" - the gun's designers or the dumb customer who bought such a horrible design.
    I detected a disturbance in the Force....

Top Bottom