• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhamses

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    I'd like to hear from experienced Glock users! This make was originally designed around the 9mm and shoots it very well, does it work as well with the .45acp?

Silverado

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2011
    If you want a Glock in .45 ACP, the model 21 and model 30 both are good to go. I would avoid the Glock 36. I have owned 2, and they were both the only Glocks that I had regular malfunction problems with. YMMV.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Glocks in .45 work just fine. But, let me ask you this.. The Glock, as you said, was designed around the 9mm and it works flawlessly, so why not get the 9mm? If it ain't broke dont fix it... kinda.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    The regular (small) Glock frames were designed for the 9mm round and adapted for the .40. The Gen 4 frame was reportedly designed around the .40 and adapted for the 9mm.

Considering how few parts are interchangeable between the 9mm/.40 and the larger .45 frames, I'd say the large frame Glocks were designed for the .45 and adapted for the 10mm. As mentioned the 21 & 30 run very well. The 36 can be a finicky pistol.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    The Glock 21 is my favorite pistol I own. I bought it in August of 2009 and I'm quickly approaching 4000 rounds through it and haven't done anything to it aside from clean it. I've shot it in 120 degree heat to -20 degree cold, rain, mud, snow, ice, sweat and probably some blood on it too and it is a monster. I carry it daily in cooler weather and shoot it every month in my IDPA matches. I like the gun so much I went and bought a 2nd G21 and it sets in my safe, unfired, waiting for it's chance...

I've only ever had 2 issues with it and they were both ammo related and nothing related to the gun itself. The gun is big and wide but there is so much gun there to actually get a grip on it will almost spoil you on the smaller, standard-frame guns.

On a side note I believe the .45 ACP Glock, the model 21 was adapted from the 10mm, the Glock 20. Their models are actually their patent number so the G20 was Glock's 20th patent...the 21, their 21st patent.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    Speaking as a die hard 1911 fan,I have owned 2 Glocks & have to say that both were boringly reliable( traded one off but still have my 3rd gen) & that Glock has converted my die hard revolver wife into a Glock nut,she despised semi auto's until I let her shoot mine, loves the trigger & the how the frame absorbs the recoil. Out of the blue last night she exclaimed how much she liked shooting it which is odd for her to talk about guns without being goaded a bit

marshallartist

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I've owned a number of Glocks and the only "lemon" I ever got was a 30SF. It was a jam-o-matic which is very uncommon. I put between 300 and 400 rounds through the gun to try to break it in and finally sent it back to Glock when things didn't improve. After getting it back from GA I promptly traded it for a model 19 and have never been happier. Several years ago I owned a model 21 (the full size .45) but traded it soon after for a very pretty Kimber and never really developed an opinion of the gun.

bkflyer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2011
    I've owned 6-8 1911's, very good pistol but never could trust them 100%. I currently one 1 1911 and a couple of Glocks. Like they say "boring". You pull the trigger it goes bang. Not flashy or really expensive but the darn thing works every time.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I've had zero problems with two Glock 30 SF sidearms FWIW.

The .45 acp Glocks were adapted from the 10 mm design as I understand it (the model numbers are a hint).

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    Ive had several 19s, 34s, a 17 and a 22, all worked great. I have carried them for SD and various competitions for about 8 years and have over 100k downrange between the collection. I doubt you will be dissapointed.

The 45/10mm frames are larger and some people dont care for them as much. I am not a person who feels undergunned by 9mm and ammo cost has always been a factor to me so I havent tried the 45 route. I know several guys that have and really liked them. I would recommend handling both at a shop, shooting both if you have the chance and let your personal factors decide. If ammo cost isnt a huge concern and you have hands big enough, and dont mind the recoil, go for it. If those factors are different, go for a 9/40

lordt313

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Bonita Springs, FL
    You cant go wrong with Glock in any caliber as far as I'm concerned, the 21 is my car gun and although i've never had to use it in a defensive situation I routinely compete and trust my life with several Glock pistols.

Top Bottom