• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    For a few years now I’ve been using a Strike Industries Glock that I assembled. I chose a set of Ameriglo Hackathorn sights for it, and I really liked them except for the fact that they always shot a little low. An issue that my other Glock didn’t have with similar ameriglo sights.

Wanting to finally be done with the low impacts I decided to swap them out for a different set of sights. And same issue again. Only conclusion I can come to is that something is just a little off with the alignment of the strike industries upper so I decided to be crafty and used my resources to shorten the front without marking it obvious that some half wit gun junkie went to town on it with power tools.

First I put it in a machinists vise.
    IMG_5297.jpeg

Then used a 1 2 3 block to square it up.
    IMG_5298.jpeg

To make sure it was flat I ran a dial indicator across the top. Turns out the squaring process was highly effective.

IMG_5299.jpeg
    IMG_5300.jpeg

Took it over to an older manual grinder that you can find in most machine shops. They take some practice to get good with but 3 years of slaving in a screw machine plant more than equipped me for this simple job

IMG_5301.jpeg

I measured the sight at .220” high and guessed I wanted to remove about 10% of it. Slowly brought the grind wheel down until it touched, then slowly reached my final depth.

In this application the .020” cut was not too much for the material so long as my feeds were very small increments.

IMG_5302.jpeg

And I went around the whole sight taking caution not to touch the threaded post in the center of the sight.

IMG_5303.jpeg

The initial grind left large radiuses near the post because my wheel wasn’t sharp enough. So I patiently started in with a file.

And here’s the file finished product.
    IMG_5304.jpeg

Fitting it to the slide I ran into the issue of the sight not getting fully tight. Realized the threaded post was protruding through its hole too far now. So I took it back to the grinder and removed .020” from the post and was able to get a good snug fit.
    IMG_5306.jpeg

A little bit of touch up blue on the bottom and some loctite and this sight is range ready.

Best of all it it looks untouched! Hopefully this will get my impacts up to that nice 6 o clock hold I’m looking for.
    IMG_5307.jpeg

Here’s the link to the original build for those curious.

Last edited:

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Very nice!
    I have used this or similar calculators to figure out sight adjustments needed on various fixed sighted guns, usually single action revolvers. I’m doing it all by hand but it’s handy to do the math and file a sight to get it close and then do final filing at the range.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Very nice!
    I have used this or similar calculators to figure out sight adjustments needed on various fixed sighted guns, usually single action revolvers. I’m doing it all by hand but it’s handy to do the math and file a sight to get it close and then do final filing at the range.

Same. I've generally just done the trig, but the math is the same.

PRECISE measurements and adjustments of PRECISE sighting systems (fixed pistol sights are included in that) are "how it's done".

You can take a good set of irons all the way apart, change front/rear options, reassemble, and come back the next day for a first round X at 1,000 yards. Done it.

As with the work @Squid556 did above, it's about meticulous work and having good inputs into the "calculations"...that includes loads, the range itself, etc.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    Very nice!

Wish I would have thought of this first, didn’t even know it existed. Thanks!

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    The grinding wheel looks like a diamond wheel for grinding carbide , if it is you will ruin it by grinding steel .
    Good eye.

Yeah they can load up pretty easy if you grind a lot or too much at once.

Admittedly I didn't feel the need to change it to remove 20 tho of steel.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom