Glock magazine clicking noise... What causes it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blackdog765

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    I've searched the following with no results; "magazine noise", "clicking noise", "magazine clicking". Please help if you have a verified cause.

I recently reloaded a G17 magazine to capacity, and now when I'm walking around with it in a mag holder, in a verticle position (floor plate up top, bullets at the bottom) it makes a clicking, or ticking noise with each step. I tried the *(highly scientific method)* of unloading it completely, shaking it vigorously, and then reloading, but it still does the same thing.

I'm not sure if it's the magazine insert rattling around in there, or possibly the follower. But I doubt it's the follower. It doesn't really do it until I get about 14 or so rounds loaded up.

It's the newer Gen4 mag, 17 round capacity. I may have disassembled it in the past for inspection, don't really remember. I don't remember my other mags doing this either.

Any ideas what is causing this and what to try to correct the situation? I'm sure it's got to be something simple that I'm simply not thinking of on a sleepy rainy afternoon.

Blackdog765

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    Tried the rapping, in several directions, and with several varying degrees of rapping (lightly, firmly). No real change.

Also, not sure what I was thinking prior, but it shouldn't be the magazine insert, because I can clearly see the correct alignment of it through the depression hole on the floor plate.

14 rounds = silent
    15-17 rounds = rattle

Could it be that some of the rounds aren't "seated" properly in the stack? And when I get to 15 one of them pops out and becomes loose?

??

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Not unheard of or even unusual. I have a couple that do it and it's just a round rattling in the mag... Try taking one or 2 out to see if that doesn't stop it. That's not a fix but just to see if that's the problem.. If it really disturbs you, use it for a range mag and go to another one for your spare.:D [FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

grand champ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    My g19 mags do exact opposite. When fully loaded its silent,if I take even 1 round out it will rattle. But this same mag I keep loaded 24/7 so just chalked it up to fact that the springs/ follower have been completely loaded down since I've owned it

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Hum. My 1911 doesn't do this. :D Someone had to say it! Seriously I will have to load up my glock and see if i can replicate the issue. Sounds weird.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Mag rattle is a well documented "issue" with KelTec's P-11 pistol mags.

THEIR recommended fix was to disassemble the mag into it's respective components. Then to slightly bend the top spring loop (the one that the follower rides on) "up" just a tad to slightly lengthen the spring and hopefully put just a tad bit more pressure on the follower/feed lips.

This little trick worked a miracle on my former P-11's two magazines.

It MAY work on your G17 mag, too.

Be very careful that you don't over-stress the mag spring.

-J-

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Load one less round (15 or 16) and it should magically disappear! Some magazines do that "click: slightly but I haven't heard it with every step as you said. It has something to do with how the rounds stack up within the mag bodies. with so many rounds in it it allows just enough play. Add or take away a round or 2 and it normally stops.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Hum. My 1911 doesn't do this. :D Someone had to say it! Seriously I will have to load up my glock and see if i can replicate the issue. Sounds weird.

Single stack mags normally don't have this problem ;)

Bullet rattle is most common in 9mm double stack mags.

Last edited:

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    My Beretta 92 20-rounders from Beretta and Mec-Gar both do this but I can get them to stop by tapping on them. When the rounds get firmly seated the noise stops.

TheEngineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Down South
    I agree with the above posts that it seems to be a common thing but since you mentioned it happens with every step, i wonder if its really the mag making the click or your pouch. I'd try and rule out one thing at a time before pulling apart the mag, just to make sure thats where the noise is coming from.

Just a hunch, but it sounds like the added weight of the 15th or 16th round is able to force the mag to tap against something inside the pouch (metal grommet for snap button or belt loop clip?). If there's room, try and wrap a paper towel around the mag, then insert it in the pouch and see if the noise continues.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    My SIG P6 does it occasionally. Now when I load it, I load it a hit the back of it against my hand. It forces the ammo to slide back against the read of the magazine, it resolves the issue.

Tactical Flannel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    I've searched the following with no results; "magazine noise", "clicking noise", "magazine clicking". Please help if you have a verified cause.

I recently reloaded a G17 magazine to capacity, and now when I'm walking around with it in a mag holder, in a verticle position (floor plate up top, bullets at the bottom) it makes a clicking, or ticking noise with each step. I tried the *(highly scientific method)* of unloading it completely, shaking it vigorously, and then reloading, but it still does the same thing.

I'm not sure if it's the magazine insert rattling around in there, or possibly the follower. But I doubt it's the follower. It doesn't really do it until I get about 14 or so rounds loaded up.

It's the newer Gen4 mag, 17 round capacity. I may have disassembled it in the past for inspection, don't really remember. I don't remember my other mags doing this either.

Any ideas what is causing this and what to try to correct the situation? I'm sure it's got to be something simple that I'm simply not thinking of on a sleepy rainy afternoon.

I've experienced it as well with a small percentage of my magazines.
    OCASSIONALY, when I disassemble the mag and clean it (even when its brand new/unfired) it will resolve the problem. Don't claim to understand how or why, but it will sometimes take care of it. Unfortunately for me, most of the time its a matter of getting used to it.

Stay safe

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    I've got 1 or 2 that do it. No big deal, but on mine the rattle is actually a round sliding forward and back. You can look through the loaded round count holes and see it move as you tilt it. Never caused an issue.

Think I may have a 15 rounder and 17 rounder ,for the 19 and 17 respectively, that do it.

Top Bottom