• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    My primary carry-around handgun is a 4th Generation Glock 23. As it is a Glock, I've long carried Glock 22 Magazines (Gen 3) as spares ever since I've had the little guy.

I haven't shot this little Glock much over the past year and a half, with ammo being harder to come by and all, but I had a chance to go shoot this past weekend and ran into a little bit of trouble. The original Glock 23 magazine (which is normally what rides in it) shot with no problem. One of my Glock 22 magazines shot with no problem as well.

The "suspect" Glock 22 magazine, when loaded with more than 5 rounds, would jam about every other shot. While the magazine was fully inserted, it acts as though it isn't - when the slide goes back and ejects the spent brass, the round tends to nose down just enough to stick the slide about halfway. A simple racking of the slide fixes the issue, but as a carry-around handgun, I'd rather have something that will (typically) go bang every time. It did turn into a fun afternoon of tap/rack/bang training which is always important when possible, but for a legitimately carried handgun I'd like to strive for better functionality.

So that all being said - I've owned Glocks for quite a long time and have never had a magazine issue. I know its possible, but it's never happened to me - maybe I've just been lucky? Does this sound like something a $5 spring would fix? Should I pony up for a new magazine (or two?) and go about my day? Is there something else I should consider?

What say ye, INGO?

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Buy new and relegate that mag.to range use.
    You could replace spring and follower, but for the price of new Glock mags, id just by one

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Confirming my original thoughts, guys.. looks like I'm on a shopping trip!

Lafayette folks - anybody in town selling them at a reasonable price? I'd rather buy local than online, but not at 3x the price..

Warsaw214

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Warsaw
    I have a G23 and G35 and highly agree with the excellent advise above. I picked up my spare mags from Vances or Midwest Guns, both run sales on the glock mags from time to time and the good news is most everyone has them is stock again. $20 per mag is what I paid last spring.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    If weak springs are the cause, then the Wolff springs might help.

But if the feed lips aren't in good shape, there's no point in throwing good money after bad.

Personally, I'd buy a couple brand new mags and put the new Wolff springs in those ;)

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    If weak springs are the cause, then the Wolff springs might help.

But if the feed lips aren't in good shape, there's no point in throwing good money after bad.

Personally, I'd buy a couple brand new mags and put the new Wolff springs in those ;)

I agree, buy a couple new and put new wolf springs in the suspect mag. And mark it so you know which one it is.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Hey Bubba, I would check it for you but your a bit north of me, I took the Glock Armorers course again last year (Jul 13) and have springs and things in my kit, but your better off just replacing the old mag. The spring,follower, mag body, and or the insert could be the cause of your issue. You ever get to Indy sometime bring it with you and I could look at it and replace any worn parts, just LMK. Dont want to have any Bubba Jams................

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I appreciate that, Steel Core! I don't mind practicing for failures, but if/when I get to the point that I need a second magazine, I'd really prefer it work as close to 100% as possible.. This ol' dog is headed for the range bag for practice only. Now to find someplace with mags in stock at a decent price..

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I would make it a range mag but replacing the spring and follower isn't a really expensive venture.. Personally I've had good luck with KCI mags for range use.. To this point I've never had one fail.

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]-- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] –[/FONT] Certified Glock armorer

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    It is odd that you are having a problem. How many rounds do you think you have through it. I have some of my older mags with over ten thousand rounds through them that are needing spring replacement. Now that I have about 50 mags the use gets spread around a bit more, but I am still going to start with the older ones and slowly replace the springs.

k1500

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2013
    West Lafayette
    On the topic if mags: While I've not looked for Glock mags, I've not come across good deals in local stores. I've found my best deals on a gun specific forum. Often times, a seller will offer a grouping of mags. I have split the cost of mags with a friend. I have also bought mags from the OEM as well.

There is one other place Glock oriented in Lafayette: ERG
    Emergency Response Gear Lafayette, IN 47904

Top Bottom