• ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Train and practice more and you won't be fudging around in a gunfight not knowing what to do. Malfunction drills can and should be done on the range. Dummy rounds, empty shells. Dont cheat yourself, randomly insert dummy rounds in your mags with live ammo and mix your mags up. This guy is lucky other officers already greased this turd stain or I think he would have taken some rounds.
    Also CROSSFIRE!!!! jesus. I thought he was gonna run into the other officers line of fire for a sec.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Thats why I carry a yeet cannon (hipoint). If i run out of ammo or more likely, when it doesnt work, ill bludgeon them to death.
    And its in a drop leg rig. The sight of that alone makes offenders know im not playin and im an operator. Its the same effect as an intruder hearing a shotgun rack the shell into an empty chamber. Or better yet, a loaded chamber and just chuck that first round out on the floor so they know.you are a sniper. Only a sniper would throw away ammo.
    I also have found out through extensive testing that my tactical mullet is higher speed, lower drag than other haircuts. Its like the wind is directed over my beard and up my face over the mullet and down the tail and propels me forward into battle. Try it.

Last edited:

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    It wasn't slick but this guy implemented, more or less, the same type 3 malfunction reduction steps I've seen taught in at least a few training classes.

Lock slide
    Strip mag
    Rack, rack, rack
    Replace
    Rack
    Fight

Not the fastest but probably the most reliable.

He made a couple mistakes with the procedure. All relatively minor in my view considering the stress he was under. I'll forgive him.

He could have gotten better cover. I'm not going to stand here and give him a bunch of crap for it though. I will try to take the lessons I can from the video, though. It was definitely an interesting case study.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The stakes are life and death. I am not concerned about the odds or the probability of defending myself. I am concerned about the stakes. The video nor anyone here (other than you) is talking about sitting on the couch at home. If a person finds themselves in a fight for their lives it ends when the ammo is gone. If you are not preparing for the worst case scenario why bother carrying. If a J frame is enough why bother in the first place? Those that just carry a J frame are optimists.

If it’s only possibilities that you are worried about then why stop at 2 spare mags. If you find yourself in a Mumbai type situation, those 2 mags will not buy you much time. I’m guessing that in a situation like that, you’ll use 10 if you can carry that many. To be really prepared, you should have the spouse and kids carry a couple too.

The stakes are life and death in traffic too. Do you make your kids wear a helmet when you drive them to school? There is a very real danger out there when we drive. Or, do you only chase the possibilities when it comes to guns but are fine with the die roll in an age of commonly driven vehicles with 300+ HP and drivers more focused on texting than driving the rest of the time?

I’m not trying to get into a pissing match with you on this but was just responding to the snarky comment you posted. Each of us has a level of comfort and casting shade on those that think different than you do is counter productive if you don’t take the time to understand the other perspective.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It wasn't slick but this guy implemented, more or less, the same type 3 malfunction reduction steps I've seen taught in at least a few training classes.

Lock slide
    Strip mag
    Rack, rack, rack
    Replace
    Rack
    Fight

Not the fastest but probably the most reliable.

He made a couple mistakes with the procedure. All relatively minor in my view considering the stress he was under. I'll forgive him.

He could have gotten better cover. I'm not going to stand here and give him a bunch of crap for it though. I will try to take the lessons I can from the video, though. It was definitely an interesting case study.

I like the idea of teaching a process for clearing a double feed/failure to extract that works for all guns (and that's how I taught it), but we know that with Glocks and most other double stack guns you can skip the first step of locking the slide to the rear because there is sufficient space to pull the mag out, unlike with a single stack gun like a 1911 in .45ACP when the mag can very difficult to strip without locking the slide to the rear. I think that if they know they're all going to be carrying Glocks, it makes sense to also include that they can just rip the mag without locking the slide and encourage them to practice that way.

Still, getting it doing under that kind of stress is impressive, so I am not criticizing the dude, just thinking about better ways to prepare people like him.

harleymac1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2013
    Morgan County
    Yikes!

That poor truck took rounds into the hood! From the cops I think. Look at the angle of the hole in the hood.

The LEO that came around the truck and would have been responsible for the rounds in the hood does not even seem to aim at anything, just pull the trigger multiple times with no sight picture.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I like the idea of teaching a process for clearing a double feed/failure to extract that works for all guns (and that's how I taught it), but we know that with Glocks and most other double stack guns you can skip the first step of locking the slide to the rear because there is sufficient space to pull the mag out, unlike with a single stack gun like a 1911 in .45ACP when the mag can very difficult to strip without locking the slide to the rear. I think that if they know they're all going to be carrying Glocks, it makes sense to also include that they can just rip the mag without locking the slide and encourage them to practice that way.

Still, getting it doing under that kind of stress is impressive, so I am not criticizing the dude, just thinking about better ways to prepare people like him.

Here is a question for those that have taught and practiced this more than I have.

In this situation where the LEO should have ample spare mags, would it have been better to strip and drop the mag? This is in the unlikely case that the mag itself was bad and caused the malfunction.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Here is a question for those that have taught and practiced this more than I have.

In this situation where the LEO should have ample spare mags, would it have been better to strip and drop the mag? This is in the unlikely case that the mag itself was bad and caused the malfunction.

If you know for sure that you have another fully charged magazine, I think it's better to drop the stripped magazine on the ground (or shove it in a pocket if you feel like you need to keep it). If it was an actual double feed and not a failure to extract, then the magazine was a likely suspect for the problem. If you don't have a spare mag, you have to go with what you have and hope for the best.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If it’s only possibilities that you are worried about then why stop at 2 spare mags. If you find yourself in a Mumbai type situation, those 2 mags will not buy you much time. I’m guessing that in a situation like that, you’ll use 10 if you can carry that many. To be really prepared, you should have the spouse and kids carry a couple too.

The stakes are life and death in traffic too. Do you make your kids wear a helmet when you drive them to school? There is a very real danger out there when we drive. Or, do you only chase the possibilities when it comes to guns but are fine with the die roll in an age of commonly driven vehicles with 300+ HP and drivers more focused on texting than driving the rest of the time?

I’m not trying to get into a pissing match with you on this but was just responding to the snarky comment you posted. Each of us has a level of comfort and casting shade on those that think different than you do is counter productive if you don’t take the time to understand the other perspective.

Too many of "us" think that our own carry practices are best because that is how we ourselves decided to do it. Making up your own mind is your choice, but when you try to justify less than adequate tools and or practice as OK for all other carriers, that's a different story.

Like the well intentioned folks who come here to talk of carrying .22LR for self defense or not carrying their pistol with a round in the chamber, it's not a matter of what one person is "comfortable" with. The issue is that in attempting to justifying inadequate carry practices, they are advertising those to others.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Too many of "us" think that our own carry practices are best because that is how we ourselves decided to do it. Making up your own mind is your choice, but when you try to justify less than adequate tools and or practice as OK for all other carriers, that's a different story.

Like the well intentioned folks who come here to talk of carrying .22LR for self defense or not carrying their pistol with a round in the chamber, it's not a matter of what one person is "comfortable" with. The issue is that in attempting to justifying inadequate carry practices, they are advertising those to others.

I’m not advocating any level of carry. On average, I’m probably better armed that many. What I do advocate is the open discussion of what we carry and our thoughts behind it without the belittling of anyone that does not strap on two full size pistols and spare mags for each.

Idiotic statements like ‘Why carry at all?’ When someone says that they are not armed to the nth degree undermines the value of anything else the person saying that says. There are times when I am perfectly comfortable with just a Sig P938 in my front pocket. Those are not often but they exist. There is a point where all of us decide that enough is enough to make us comfortable in our ability to continue our lives on our terms. Just because some of us adjust that point based on the probabilities is no reason to ridicule them.

Living a life based on possibilities is one dimensional. You have no adjustment. It is the mindset of liberal ‘zero tolerance’ rules that take thought out of the equation. There is too much going on to assign a single rule to yourself and then expect others that don’t share your perspective to follow that rule.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Everyone has to make their own decision. My P226 won't do me much good if I don't carry it because of its weight, difficulty in concealing or whatever. Carrying something and being proficient with it, is going to beat not carrying every time.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    .....If tap,rack,bang doesn’t work what do you do?

0B155D5B-7345-4553-BD7D-7B520BCD59AE.gif.ab1a927299e7dedc3ef32610569e6601.gif

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville

We are not in a pissing match.
    What makes you think I am the only one carry in my family? I am not. We can all shoot and do.

I am confident in the amount of ammo I carry, and the number of guns and the ability to get hits.

I don't care about anyone's perspective. If they want to carry that way fine. It is their life but I am not going to say it is good or ok or anything else or endorse it. What many people carry and feel is adequate would not have measured up in this video. That is what I am saying. Snarky or not. It is a fact. What I carry would have been fine. Just talking about gear and that is all. Leaving ability out of the equation. So wrap your head around that.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Glock malfunctions during fight

I can assure you that I have shot thousands upon thousands of rounds out of mine and have never EVER had a malfunction.
    Not even a hiccup.

Oh..... Wait....... I shoot a Sig......
    Never mind.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Quality shot placement over quantity every time. Spraying and praying may get you noticed but if the perp is still fighting after your 4 gun presentation and a case of ammo, perhaps you shouldn’t have left the M72 at home?

Top Bottom