• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Well i ordered the 8 pound bar for my g26 and i was wondering what the low down is on the manual safety kits? good? bad? how well does it work?

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    yeah yeah i know. just new to me i guess. used to the 12.5 trigger on my jframe 5.5 just feels really light. im also used to swiping my thumb on a safety as well.

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Why would you want to install one of these? My manual safety is keeping my booger picker off the trigger..

If he wants to why not? Your brain is indeed your final and only reliable (as in, not a mechanical part that can fail) safety, but use something that is comfortable to you. And most importantly whatever you use, train with or at least familiarize yourself with its controls to the point where you can do it with your eyes closed while standing on your head. He's already familiar with sweeping off a safety. He'd be that much more familiar with it just because he wouldn't have to dramatically alter his shooting/drawing motion.

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    im more concerined on how the safety performs. its quality. thats my biggest concern. i dont wanna drill ahole in my gun at all even less so for crap.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    By keeping my booger picker off the trigger I have plenty of time to keep it on my keyboard. Here is some light reading for you.

You might find the information you are looking for, once you get past all the "glocks don't need any more safeties" BS. :D

Cominolli safety for Glocks [Archive] - THR
    manual safety: siderlock vs cominolli - Glock Talk
    Concealed Carry Forum - Glock Manual Safety
    Now You Can Carry Your Glock
    Glock manual safety - California Predators Club Forums
    http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/39...tp://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=18639

Google is your friend.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Rather than jury rigging a Glock I would sell it and buy a S&W M&P which has a factory safety. There are two positive aspects to a safety on this type of handgun.
    1. They can help prevent an AD when re-holstering if something like a cinch button from your jacket gets in the trigger guard.
    2. It may confuse someone who gets hold of your gun long enough for you to take control of the situation.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    IF as you stated you were USED to the trigger of your "J" frame, you should be USED to the lack of manual safety on a revolver, and thats what you have on your GLOCK. Also use the standard connector and a NY-1 or NY-2 for better trigger pull IMHO.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Would you install a manual safety on a revolver?

Just my humble opinion....

No, but I wouldn't carry a revolver around cocked and ready to fire single action, either. A Glock (and other modern striker fired guns) is essentially just a single action gun with a bad trigger pull, and I've never been terribly comfortable with the concept, not when I carried my G19, not with my XD. Yeah, the trigger finger and your brain are the ultimate safety devices, but as the number of NDs with striker fired guns show, they are as fallible as any mechanical safety.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Well i ordered the 8 pound bar for my g26 and i was wondering what the low down is on the manual safety kits? good? bad? how well does it work?

been there, so I know what you mean.

I used to use a Saf T Blok for pocket carry and such.

YouTube - TopGlock.com and Glockworld.com Present The Saf-T-Blok

you can buy them online at several places.

another option is the Siderlock:

Lone Wolf Siderlock Trigger Safety for Glock Pistols

I prefer the Saf T Block, cheap, quick and easy.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    The thumb safety kits do work, but as you are aware you have to permanently alter the gun. This could hurt your resale value because the presence of a thumb safety (or a big hole wear one used to be) will likely be a turn off to someone who would be interested in buy the glock (as evidenced by this thread.)

Have you looked at the siderlock?

SIDERLOCK | The Additional Safety for Glock pistols

It isn't your traditional thumb safety, but will allow you to carry the gun safely and can be switched out with the stock trigger in the event you want to sell the gun some time in the future.

P.S. The revolver comparisons are erroneous.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    The thumb safety kits do work, but as you are aware you have to permanently alter the gun. This could hurt your resale value because the presence of a thumb safety (or a big hole wear one used to be) will likely be a turn off to someone who would be interested in buy the glock (as evidenced by this thread.)

Have you looked at the siderlock?

SIDERLOCK | The Additional Safety for Glock pistols

It isn't your traditional thumb safety, but will allow you to carry the gun safely and can be switched out with the stock trigger in the event you want to sell the gun some time in the future.

:+1: for the anti-Glock ;)

P.S. The revolver comparisons are erroneous.

you got that right :yesway:

Chris-B

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    A Glock (and other modern striker fired guns) is essentially just a single action gun

Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldnt comparing a Glock to a double action be more appropriate. Yes, i understand the striker is under tension, but the act of pulling the trigger actually "cocks" the striker so the weapon can fire. I really dont see how it can be considered a single action weapon but that is my :twocents:. Please let me know if I am missing something.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    No, but I wouldn't carry a revolver around cocked and ready to fire single action, either. A Glock (and other modern striker fired guns) is essentially just a single action gun with a bad trigger pull

In a Glock, the firing pin is never fully retracted (i.e. "cocked") until just before the gun fires, and can be "decocked" at any time simply by releasing pressure on the trigger. Yes, there is some pre-load on the firing pin when the trigger is forward, but mechanically, it's more like a DA revolver with a good trigger pull. ;) This in contrast to the XD, which is more like a traditional single action, since the firing pin is fully retracted when the slide cycles.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    In a Glock, the firing pin is never fully retracted (i.e. "cocked") until just before the gun fires, and can be "decocked" at any time simply by releasing pressure on the trigger. Yes, there is some pre-load on the firing pin when the trigger is forward, but mechanically, it's more like a DA revolver with a good trigger pull. ;) This in contrast to the XD, which is more like a traditional single action, since the firing pin is fully retracted when the slide cycles.

I understand the mechanics of the trigger, but in actual use the Glock (and I'm not just picking on Glocks, here, my reservations extend to all the light triggered striker fired guns) the trigger is more similar to a crappy single action pull. What I'm trying to say is that to the user the trigger is more like a single action. I don't know of any double action revolvers out there with 3.5 or 5 pound double action trigger pulls! The light trigger pulls on XDs, Glocks, and M&Ps, with no manual safety, just makes me uncomfortable. I've owned and carried Glocks and XDs, my wife has owned and carried the XDs and M&P. OTOH, Glocks with 8 lb triggers, and the heavier trigger on the SR9s I've dry fired, I'm quite comfortable with. If you are screwing up and sticking your finger on the trigger, a heavier pull or manual safety gives your brain one last chance to (maybe) register "hey, Joe, you are being a moron, better stop now!!"

Of course, I do freely admit to being a dinosaur that still prefers a full size revolver to a semi-auto as daily carry, and am in fact preparing to settle down on our gun trading and carry a 4" K frame again for EDC. Keeping my PT92, but I'm also uncomfortable depending on magazines LOL.

Chris-B

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    This in contrast to the XD, which is more like a traditional single action, since the firing pin is fully retracted when the slide cycles.

I must admin that i dont have any experience with the XD's and had no idea that gun carries with the striker full retracted. Thanks for the info.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    What I'm trying to say is that to the user the trigger is more like a single action.

OK, if we're talking "feel" rather than mechanical function, I get your point. But I would also argue that depending on hardware to make up for "software" deficiencies is bad juju.

am in fact preparing to settle down on our gun trading

I'll believe that when I see it! :):

Top Bottom