• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    Ok I want to add a 10mm to my collection and am looking into a Glock 20. I have been shooting for years but have never owned a Glock. Only shot one once and that was an INGO members 9mm a couple weeks ago. I shoot alot of 357mag and 44mag revolvers so recoil of the 10mm will not be a problem. I already have a 9mm, a .40 S&W, and a .45acp so now I want a 10mm
    My questions are
    Anybody own a Glock 20 and what did you think of it?
    I reload all my ammo and have read something about needing an aftermarket barrel for reloads and lead loads. Is this true And why? If so what barrel do you suggest?
    Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

rfontes

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2010
    Noblesville
    something about the sharp polygonal rifling causing excessive lead fouling were the chamber & rifling meet together resulting in rounds not being able to seat properly. i guess it would be ok as long as you clean the gun frequently.

Last edited:

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    I reload all my ammo and have read something about needing an aftermarket barrel for reloads and lead loads. Is this true And why? If so what barrel do you suggest?
    Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

If you are going to reload your bullets definitely get a good after market barrel. If you don't it might go KaBoom. Do a google search on "glock kaboom". There are plenty of reports to read up on.

I only shoot factory ammo from my glock, so I can't suggest a good aftermarket barrel but definitely do a google search on each barrel suggested. Some of them have feeding problems. topglock.com has some good aftermarket parts listed.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I've had the 29 since they first came out and three years ago got the 20 as well. It's the easiest shooting 10mm you will find, and I love mine. I have 2-3k rounds through it now with no troubles.

Some folks will claim they shoot lead all of the time through their Glocks, but I feel the 10mm round, especially loaded hot, is not worth the risk to me, so I got the LoneWolf barrels in both 10mm and .40S&W.

You will LOVE the 10mm round, especially through the G20. The variability for loading mild to nuclear great, and the G20 tames the full house 10mm well.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I only shoot factory ammo from my glock, so I can't suggest a good aftermarket barrel but definitely do a google search on each barrel suggested. Some of them have feeding problems. topglock.com has some good aftermarket parts listed.

On both of the LWD aftermarket barrels I have for my G20 (10mm and .40) I had to VERY mildly polish the breakover angle for the feedramp and the chamber to get reliable feeding for my reloads. I did a little at first when it would not feed at all, then did it a little more each time I would have a feed problem until it no longer had any problems. It's still a much tighter chamber than the factory barrel.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I bought a Glock 20SF in 10mm at the 21st Century Veterans day sale and they hooked me up big time. If the glock grip angle isn't something you like, check out the SF (small/slim frame) models and you'll be surprised. I haven't had mine long, but I've got about 230 rounds through it now.

I didn't buy a 10mm to shoot downloaded lead rounds through it so I doubt I'll ever buy an aftermarket barrel. If I were in bear country in wanted to load up some hard cast it'd be worth it to get the aftermarket barrel though for the hardcast. Maybe I don't have enough rounds through mine yet, but the factory barrel is just fine so far. I don't think glock would have the reputation they have if their barrels were junk.

So far I've been shooting Georgia Arms factory ammo. The reason I went with them is because they make a good deal on the ammo, and they use STARLINE brass. I wanted to break the gun in with the ammo, keep the brass and start reloading it, while being able to add more brass of the same manufacturer to my pile.

As far as recoil goes, it's pretty soft actually. I was really surprised at that, but the recoil of the 10mm isn't bad at all. Just feels like a touch more than a 45acp, but not near a 357mag revolver. That's with both the 180gr FMJ loads from Georgia Arms and the 180 XTP/HP factory loads from Hornady.

Another nice part about the 10mm is that once you have your brass, all the other reloading components are the same as the 40 so they can be cheaply had. For example I just bought 1000 180gr JHP bullets off gunbroker for $105 shipped. Can't hardly beat that.

My bottom line on the 10mm is that's it's the worlds best kept secret in pistol rounds and the fact that you can get it in a glock is a perfect combination of power and reliability. You just have to reload your own to be able to afford to shoot the thing though.

TheGunDen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Shelbyville IN
    I have a used one in stock and I took it out and shot it and :rockwoot:it shot great. If your interested give me a call and we can work on putting it in your collection.;)

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I'm going to dispel a myth - to all Glock owners -

Shoot all the reloaded ammunition you want. It has nothing to do with the polygonal rifling - assuming your shooting plated or jacketed bullets.... The reason they say "not to" in a Glock (that it voids the warranty) is that individuals with little or no reloading experience can damage a gun with their reloaded ammo. Since Glock warranties all their products for "lifetime" - incidental damage by inexperienced reloaders is NOT covered by their warranties. They have no control over what the reloader puts in their cartridges.

The honest truth is that Glock will never know. Its always your word against theirs, but in a CYA (or pocketbook) move by Glock, they say not to shoot reloads.

I shoot reloads in my Glocks all the time, have always, and will always. That's the point of reloading. But to say a firearm is going to explode because you're shooting a properly manufactured and correct type of ammo in it, that's just plain dumb.

chevy2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    If your going to reload look into the nosler sporting hand gun bullet.Fairly inexpensive they come in boxes of 250 and they shoot great to.

KillStick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Anderson
    Its the lead rounds that are the ones that fowl the factory glock barrel and Lonewolf is a great company that deals progressively towards glocks. The kaboom issue usually results in reloads or some of the older glock .40 because of a barrel lock up issue I believe but don't qoute me on that because I have a faulty memory. Any firearm can have a kaboom with any round even factory rounds. Glock Talk forum has a massive thread that covers most of this if you want to take a well researched look into it.

Top Bottom