• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    I've always used standard aftermarket Glock parts ( ie; extended mag & slide release) but wonder what others use and think? As for the mag release, I always hafta sand them down some because they're just too long for my taste. While these are really not must have items,I just like to customize. Let me know your thoughts and why.

joe138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    I used to use the Glock extended mag release until I got the Vickers release. I also use the extended slide catch on all of my Glocks. I use the slide catch as a slide release. I also replace the standard sights with some form of night sights. That is all I do.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    [video=youtube_share;feyUqxr5lw8]http://youtu.be/feyUqxr5lw8[/video]

I think this video is pretty helpful. It not only shows you 5 easy upgrades, but walks through the install process also. These all are relatively easy to do yourself.

TheEngineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Down South
    ^^^THIS....I like how in a 15 minute video, the guy is able to do 4 out of 5 simple upgrades (night sights is #5 but his were already done)

I found this video a few weeks ago and until then had never thought about upgrades to my G22 until i watched it. I've always disliked the open area on the bottom of the grip behind the magwell but never knew they made the grip plug, so i added one to my last Midway order...its a silly cosmetic thing but i like it

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Vickers mag release, night sights, and that is about it. On the compacts (19/12), I've taken to adding the magwell plug, but I don't do it on the subcompacts (26/27) as it is not held in by the tab that fits into the lanyard area (it is only a friction fit). I don't use the slide stop as a release, so no need to mess with that in my case.

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    The only changes I make to my Glocks are the sights. The other stock parts work well for me. I know some folks that need the extended slide release, but the stock ones work for me.

bos-94-003

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    Marion
    The only changes I make to my Glocks are the sights. The other stock parts work well for me. I know some folks that need the extended slide release, but the stock ones work for me.

My G22 releases the slide 99% of the time when I seat the magazine. Extended mag release and night sights are the only upgrades I do.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    ^^^THIS....I like how in a 15 minute video, the guy is able to do 4 out of 5 simple upgrades (night sights is #5 but his were already done)

I found this video a few weeks ago and until then had never thought about upgrades to my G22 until i watched it. I've always disliked the open area on the bottom of the grip behind the magwell but never knew they made the grip plug, so i added one to my last Midway order...its a silly cosmetic thing but i like it

Just in case this has not been brought to your attention...there is a reason for that "hole" in the back of the grip of a Glock. It allows you to firmly and positively pull the magazine out. Depending on the condition of your hands, and how your body is reacting to the adrenaline dump of being attacked, you may not be able to remove the magazine only by gripping the sides of the magazine plate if the magazine does not drop free. The original Glock design per the Austrian Army requirement did not have drop free magazines. The Austrian Army wanted their soldiers to pull the mag out so they would be more likely to retain the mag for later use. That hole assists in allowing a positive and firm pull or removal of the magazine.

Not much of an issue with current magazines sense they are drop free now days. But it is still an issue if you have a type 3 malfunction during a gun fight. And I guarantee that if you are truly fighting for your life, that adrenaline dump will mess with you and your motor skills.

Here is a GREAT video from the late and great Paul Gomez...one of the best defensive weapon instructors ever...IMHO. Reference the 5 minute mark for the type 3 malfunction clearing instructions using the increasing popular non-diagnostic method.

[video=youtube_share;Wt9nQe-6vHI]http://youtu.be/Wt9nQe-6vHI[/video]

legalninja3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2013
    United States
    I might be in the minority, but I've never changed anything on my Glocks except for putting grip extensions on my G27. I hear people complain about the sights being terrible, but at self-defense distances, they've worked fine on rapid fire shots at multiple targets.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    All of mine get mostly Trijicon N/S, NY-1 trigger spring, and extended slide stops. Premium ammo and range time rounds out the equation.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    NOT into mods myself. I'll change the sights out for night sights but I want that gun stock internally. I've been in the automotive parts and service business too long I guess. I've seen time and again an aftermarket part or some custom piece that causes more issues than the vehicle had to start with. I apply the same principle to my guns. And I'd almost guarantee any tech or armorer will first look at any "Buck Rogers" stuff installed when there's an issue reported with the gun.

I learn to run the gun the way it is and go on.

This video always sticks in my head:

Glock 23 Goes Full Auto - YouTube

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    After watching the video I ordered a Brass Stacker Extended Slide release for a friend of mine who has bad arthritis and cannot pull down on the stock slide release. I have installed it and it really works well. He can now breakdown his gun without a problem. The only issue with the Brass Stacker is it will put a small scratch inside a leather holster, if that doesnt bother you, then it is a great product.:twocents:

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Vickers mag release, night sights, and that is about it. On the compacts (19/12), I've taken to adding the magwell plug, but I don't do it on the subcompacts (26/27) as it is not held in by the tab that fits into the lanyard area (it is only a friction fit). I don't use the slide stop as a release, so no need to mess with that in my case.

Forgot to mention that the Vickers base plates for the mags are kind of a nice addition as well.

TangoDown Vickers Tactical Glock Magazine Baseplates (5 Pack)

bpt.jpg

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    The only change I made to my current Glock 23 is the installation of a - trigger disconnect out of a Glock 35. It is a factory OEM part. The gun came equipped with night sights.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Guessing that they are oversize and stick out further around the magwell and make it easier to pull out if they won't drop free.

Yep. I actually got them originally because I got different colors for the .40 mags and the 9mm mags on the off occasion that I would be shooting both at the range and for some reason did not separate the guns/mags properly, I would have an indicator (and yes, I know there are regular profile mag base plates of different colors). However, the added small amount of gripping surface is nice, and it doesn't really add to the profile of the gun for concealed carry.

Top Bottom