• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikerccie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Indy - North Side
    My advice is (always) hold them all see what fits your hand and if at all possible shoot them all.

On the Springfield - are you thinking one of their 1911's or their XD/XDm guns?

JoP

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Bluffton, IN
    Wow, all of the non brands loyalists got here first. These guys are all right. Pick the one that feels best for you..but as a kool-aid drinker...you can't go wrong with a glock.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    What handgun brand is the best to buy. Target practice is what I'm gonna use it for.

Do you currently own a gun? Either way, what made you consider only these manufacturers. Don't get me wrong, they are all great, but did something specific from your research point you to them or are these the guns your friends and family suggest? Which one's have you shot already?

I really can't think of any reason not to consider any you have listed, but if you've not shot them, it can be a long cycle of buy-sell-buy before you find what's right for you. Who knows, Para Ordinance or Smith & Wesson just may be the perfect gun for you. Good luck with your search.

SubicWarrior1988

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    central
    Do you currently own a gun? Either way, what made you consider only these manufacturers. Don't get me wrong, they are all great, but did something specific from your research point you to them or are these the guns your friends and family suggest? Which one's have you shot already?

I really can't think of any reason not to consider any you have listed, but if you've not shot them, it can be a long cycle of buy-sell-buy before you find what's right for you. Who knows, Para Ordinance or Smith & Wesson just may be the perfect gun for you. Good luck with your search.
    ^^^^
    Red letters of truth.

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    Wow, all of the non brands loyalists got here first.

I have a Sig 228, XD9 4" and 3", and want a Glock 19. I believe in diversification.

To choose only one, go with the one that you shoot best.

But in my opinion, I would recommend the Glock, XDs, then Sig.

To explain why: I think that DAOs are the best triggers for weapons that see defensive use. With DA/SA weapons, the first shot is very heavy and gets the least practice. With DAOs, the trigger pull is the same every time. I would choose the Glock over the XD because the Glock 9mms have proven to be the most reliable handguns in the world and the XD grip safety is a detractor.
    The Sig is in 3rd place only because of the DA/SA trigger and the price.
    You could buy a used G19, 500rds of ammo and weekend class for the cost of the Sig.

But since the OP stated that target shooting is the main use, we're back to the one he shoots best.

Last edited:

gibby101

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Liberty
    ive had springfeilds and im not saying there a bad weapon at all in fact i really liked my xd but my sig is like a cadillac very reliable and comfortable def very impressed with sig sauer

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011

I have shot the glock 17, glock 21, sig p250, sig p226,and a springfield xd. I am considering the springfiel cause of the 1911 grip feels good in my hand. Ill go with that most likley. I chose the glock cause everyone says it is a good gun in genral which I think it is . The sig has been carried by everyone, Cop, seals, military, CHL owners. So it is the most used which means it is safe and effective and accurate above all.

Last edited:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Why buy a gun you haven't research or shot. I shoot rented guns at ranges to test them.I find the springfield to give the best accuracy. I think I might go with that but keep a eye out for some good glocks or sigs.

I think everybody, if they've been around guns long enough, will end up with a few impulse buys...God knows I have several...in fact I'm probably the person my friends rely on to buy before trying so they can shoot mine to determine which they like best.

As far as what gun, the manufacturers you've listed are all great and reputable companies; a few in the gun world will bash a brand here and there and a few more may even have an axe to grind against a certain name, but those 3 will give you multiple decades of dependable service. You can also throw the M&P in the mix along with Ruger's SR-series of autos, too.

Right now my favorite guns are my Glock 21 and my M&P9 Pro and I've recently traded for an M&P45 that I cannot wait to get in. The XDm just sets a bit too high in the hand for me but with their new 5.25 competition pistol out I could be tempted to overlook that feature to give them another try. Just buy what you like and like what you buy and you should be good. Just look to the aftermarket parts area when it comes to buying holsters and extra mags....Glock rules the roost in that department with sadly the M&P lagging far behind and the XDm somewhere in the middle. That can make or break a weapon for some since having a gun is no good if you can't find holsters or mags for it.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Why buy a gun you haven't research or shot. I shoot rented guns at ranges to test them.I find the springfield to give the best accuracy. I think I might go with that but keep a eye out for some good glocks or sigs.

What ranges in Indiana Rent Guns? I haven't been able to find one (preferably in the southern portion of the state).

Top Bottom