• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I'm guessing there will be. I've talked to several Glock reps and they hinted to the single stack 9 and the optic ready models. With the optics models announced already I'm thinking they're waiting on the shot show for the 9. I could be totally wrong.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Sorry for the cross post, but here's what I had just replied to a similar question in another thread:

A single stack 9mm does seem like a void in the Glock lineup. I wonder if they are just having issues with the engineering? The Glock website shows the G26 slide with at 30mm and the G42 at 24mm. Maybe they are having issues getting the thing to work with a thinner slide than the G26 has? Glock has a tendency to keep their guns pretty consistent with (until the G42) a slide with of either 30mm or 32.5mm. That allows a small number of holsters to fit a large number of Glocks which helps sell guns. I know that I own more Glocks than I would otherwise if each Glock required a different holster. I would have never bought either of the G19s if I did not already have a good carry rig for my G23. A G21 was an easy choice since I already supported a G20. If the single stack 9mm does not fit the 24mm holsters for the G42, will they sell as many as they would if it did? It cannot use the 30mm slide since that is simply the G26 with a reduced ammo capacity. In fact, I believe they already produce a single stack 9mm if you run the 10 round mags mandated in liberal states, but I digress.

The question is, can Glock built a single stack 9mm based on the 24mm slide of the G42? If they can, then we'll hopefully see one some day. If not, we may be SOL.

On the other hand, maybe Glock has the single stack 9mm design completed and ready to go but are simply waiting for the G42 sales to level off before announcing it. If they announced a single stack 9mm today, I think the G42 sales would plummet. There's more profit in waiting than in killing G42 sales with an early announcement.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    On the other hand, maybe Glock has the single stack 9mm design completed and ready to go but are simply waiting for the G42 sales to level off before announcing it. If they announced a single stack 9mm today, I think the G42 sales would plummet. There's more profit in waiting than in killing G42 sales with an early announcement.

This is what I thought too after I calmed down from seeing that the single stack 9 wasn't released this year.

As far as slide width goes, I am betting they are working on a single stack 40 and a 9 that use the same slide width (a bit wider than the 42). While some people don't like 40, with many departments still issuing Glock 22/23 handguns, it would be logical to provide them with a single stack BUG that takes the same ammo.
    Also, building the gun to handle 40 will provide a longer service life for the 9mm counterpart.

I am going on record now saying that Glock wont release the single stack 9 until SHOT 2016 and they will then release a single stack 40 at the same time.

Tac45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    SS
    I'm almost so tired of everyone asking about and anticipating the release of it that I'm over the idea of a single-stack Glock.
    And based on a lot of the threads on the G42, not sure if I'd want a 9mm version for the first couple years after release anyways...:rolleyes:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Sorry for the cross post, but here's what I had just replied to a similar question in another thread:

A single stack 9mm does seem like a void in the Glock lineup. I wonder if they are just having issues with the engineering? The Glock website shows the G26 slide with at 30mm and the G42 at 24mm. Maybe they are having issues getting the thing to work with a thinner slide than the G26 has? Glock has a tendency to keep their guns pretty consistent with (until the G42) a slide with of either 30mm or 32.5mm. That allows a small number of holsters to fit a large number of Glocks which helps sell guns. I know that I own more Glocks than I would otherwise if each Glock required a different holster. I would have never bought either of the G19s if I did not already have a good carry rig for my G23. A G21 was an easy choice since I already supported a G20. If the single stack 9mm does not fit the 24mm holsters for the G42, will they sell as many as they would if it did? It cannot use the 30mm slide since that is simply the G26 with a reduced ammo capacity. In fact, I believe they already produce a single stack 9mm if you run the 10 round mags mandated in liberal states, but I digress.

The question is, can Glock built a single stack 9mm based on the 24mm slide of the G42? If they can, then we'll hopefully see one some day. If not, we may be SOL.

On the other hand, maybe Glock has the single stack 9mm design completed and ready to go but are simply wa
    iting for the G42 sales to level off before announcing it. If they announced a single stack 9mm today, I think the G42 sales would plummet. There's more profit in waiting than in killing G42 sales with an early announcement.

I agree about the 17/19/26 & 23/27/22 all fitting the same holsters, etc being a selling point, along with being able to share the mags from the same caliber full size/compact down. I am invested in my Glocks as a platform. I own compacts and subcompact. That said, I could not care any less whether the single stack 9mm that will inevitably come out sharing a slide width spec with the Glock 42. I have no intention of purchasing a 42, but will strongly consider the single stack 9mm when it comes out.

The single stack 9 will already be a break from the rest of the family for me as far as the platform concept but it may fill a niche for me (not sharing mags, not sharing holsters with the rest of the family), but it will presumably have the same trigger mechanism, which is a bonus. I have no intention of muddying the water with the 42 as it has all the same drawbacks and is in a caliber that I don't currently have/need.

I would think Glock would come out with a single stack 9mm this year, but will just have to wait to see.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I've been told by a source that has been very reliable in the past that it's been in the "pipe" all along. With the Shield and the
    Ruger LC9S available it seems to me that it's a day late and a dollar short. A lot of people will buy it just because it's a new model and it's a Glock but I can't imagine that it's going to be any great engineering marvel that will over shadow the Shield and the Ruger. Personally I've given up and put Apex parts in a Shield and I'm very satisfied with it. When you snooze you lose and I think Glock has snoozed a little too long on this one.
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] –[/FONT]Certified Glock armorer

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I predict a release before April, if not at SHOT. I predict 10% larger than the G42 but utilizing the same changes to the trigger and firing pin block safety as seen in the G42.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I've been told by a source that has been very reliable in the past that it's been in the "pipe" all along. With the Shield and the
    Ruger LC9S available it seems to me that it's a day late and a dollar short. A lot of people will buy it just because it's a new model and it's a Glock but I can't imagine that it's going to be any great engineering marvel that will over shadow the Shield and the Ruger. Personally I've given up and put Apex parts in a Shield and I'm very satisfied with it. When you snooze you lose and I think Glock has snoozed a little too long on this one.
    NRA Life Member-- GSSF member
    Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic
    NRA Basic pistol instructorCertified Glock armorer

Good post, like everything they make (with the surprising exception of the 42) it would probably be over-engineered and be too thick to even be competitive with kahr, the shield, ruger etc. At least now they are downsizing a bit with the 30S and the 41 slide etc, should have done that from the beginning.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic

To some extent, but for those that are pretty embedded with Glock and have not jumped platforms, they (me) will likely buy it, if it serves a need. I'm not interested just because its a new model. I'll assess it and see if it truly fills a need when released. I do think Glock has been a long time in doing anything really responsive to the market (last couple of years has finally seen some new introductions) to the point of it being annoying, and has definitely had some issues. S&W on the other hand has seemingly been really responsive to the market and developed some nice firearms.

I even bought an M&P 9c with the full intention of switching, but even with an Apex RAM kit, I just could not make the trigger switch, and sold it. I think they are great guns, and have some excellent engineering, I just was not willing to make as much of a change as I thought.

Do I think Glock will sell as many as they would have if they had launched before or within a reasonable time after the launch of the Shield or some of the Rugers. No. (They should have released it sooner).

Do I think they will still sell a ton of them, when they do launch. Yes.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    With all the requests for a single stack Glock 9mm, I think it will come some day.
    If not this year, maybe next year.

We are planning a trip down to Nashville, TN for the NRA convention in April. I plan to ask the Glock reps about it... again.
    Maybe they will announce it at NRA??

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    To some extent, but for those that are pretty embedded with Glock and have not jumped platforms, they (me) will likely buy it, if it serves a need. I'm not interested just because its a new model. I'll assess it and see if it truly fills a need when released. I do think Glock has been a long time in doing anything really responsive to the market (last couple of years has finally seen some new introductions) to the point of it being annoying, and has definitely had some issues. S&W on the other hand has seemingly been really responsive to the market and developed some nice firearms.

I even bought an M&P 9c with the full intention of switching, but even with an Apex RAM kit, I just could not make the trigger switch, and sold it. I think they are great guns, and have some excellent engineering, I just was not willing to make as much of a change as I thought.

Do I think Glock will sell as many as they would have if they had launched before or within a reasonable time after the launch of the Shield or some of the Rugers. No. (They should have released it sooner).

Do I think they will still sell a ton of them, when they do launch. Yes.

I think if you had put the complete Apex setup in it you might have been satisfied. Although kind of pricey, the Apex parts yield a VERY good trigger. Even pulling out all the stops on a Glock trigger the Apex parts in the M&P still feels a little closer to a 1911 trigger than I can get a Glock.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT]
    Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    It is hilarious reading all the excuses as to why Glock hasn't done the single stack 9mm yet.

It is real simple folks, if Glock had come out with the 42 and the 9mm at the same time, they would have sold 1/10th the number of G42s as they have. Now that every Glock fan boy that wanted a single stack has got one, they're going to do it all over again with the 9.

Glock is being responsive... to their shareholders...

bigbaloo95

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2014
    wolcottville
    I agree with crispy. In addition Glock brand is kind of like Harley Davidson in the nineties. They could slap lipstick on any old pile of parts pig they want now and fanboys will buy it. They may not have had the manufacturing capacity for such a release until now if this is more than just a rumor. I bought a shield and couldn't care less but I'm in the minority.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    It is hilarious reading all the excuses as to why Glock hasn't done the single stack 9mm yet.

It is real simple folks, if Glock had come out with the 42 and the 9mm at the same time, they would have sold 1/10th the number of G42s as they have. Now that every Glock fan boy that wanted a single stack has got one, they're going to do it all over again with the 9.

Glock is family owned. Gaston Glock has never been overly concerned with what his potential customers would like. The G42 took a ton of convincing by the American employees and the Glock executives in Austria expected it to flop.

If I were a billionaire I probably wouldn't be too concerned with what others had to say either. Strangely it doesn't appear the company is about to go bankrupt.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Well, I have several Glocks, etc, but did not buy a 42 and won't. If/when they come out with the single stack 9mm, I'll check it out, and if I think it fills a need I have, I will get one. That said, I did not buy a Shield (I tried an M&P 9c to see if I could make the switch of platforms, but couldn't and sold it) because I'm bought into the Glock platform at this point. I agree, they would not have sold as many 42's had it come out at the same time as a single stack 9, but not everyone jumped for the 42.

Glock is family owned. Gaston Glock has never been overly concerned with what his potential customers would like. The G42 took a ton of convincing by the American employees and the Glock executives in Austria expected it to flop.

If I were a billionaire I probably wouldn't be too concerned with what others had to say either. Strangely it doesn't appear the company is about to go bankrupt.

Yep, I'd agree with that sentiment. I am liking that Glock is starting to show some signs of listening to the market thought which is good.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    I thought about picking up a 42 but decided to wait for the single stack 9mm to come out. Since it has not, I bought a SIG 938 and am quite happy with it. The chances of me buying the Glock when it finally does come out at this point, are rather slim.

Top Bottom