• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Exactly.. Only down side I can see is debris making it's way into a VERY vital part of the ignition system and you still have to remember to put your thumb on back of the slide when reholstering for it to function. Might be just as easy to make sure your holster is clear before putting the gun away. As Col. Cooper was fond of saying "your safety is between your ears".

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT]

“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” ….Coach

SPB Links
    The backing plate is not open behind the hinge for debris to get into as was demonstrated in the video. I also don't believe it to be an issue to remember to place your thumb on the backing plate while holstering. Some people have already been doing that practice to prevent the slide from moving rearward slightly.

I do agree though that proper deliberate holstering discipline is a must as well. I just don't see the harm in using this device to insure another level of security. Especially if one chooses to appendix carry.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I guess I'm a "if it ain't broke don't fix it guy". Anytime there's more moving parts you increase the possibility for a failure. If you feel the need and want to spend close to $100 on a gadget it's cool but not for me. Relying on any sort of mechanical device to override operator carelessness is something that I personally try to avoid.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT]

“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” ….Coach

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Can you give more details or links to this ONE incident you know about where a kydex holster flexed enough to shoot a guy in his leg? I have heard people talk about worn out leather holsters flexing and potentially being dangerous, but never heard of a kydex holster flexing enough to depress a pistol's trigger. I have six kydex holsters and none of them have much of any flex in them.

I can within reason.

I used to be decent buddies to a first-hand witness. As in, my buddy was IN the vehicle with the guy when it happened to him. Both of them are former INGO members - and I won't name either one.

Guy had some kind of striker-fired gun in a Big Big Big Big name kydex pancake holster. A) I do not know the brand of gun, B) I do not know if there were any modifications to said gun, C) I do not know what kind of belt was being worn

What I do know is that, somehow, as the guy was getting in to a vehicle, either the seat bolster or the B-pillar was pushing enough on the holster to cause the trigger to be pushed, which fired the gun, which resulted in him being shot in the leg. At the time, dude was kind of fluffy - so that may have been a contributing factor in how the holster flexed. Big body pushing back on the seat bolster trying to sit down, the belt and the rear half of the holster flex too much in just the wrong place - and BANG.

I personally cannot see how the holster could flex in such a manner, but it did. I currently own at least 1 of those holsters, and, in the past, have owned several others for various makes/models of gun.

There will be plenty of folks who'll say that the above didn't happen. That's fine. You do not have to believe me. My info is the result of an in person conversation with a guy that was physically there.

Plenty of current INGOers know/knew these two no-longer-active members, too - though I do not know how many know about the incident.

dfcrane

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Feb 25, 2011
    South West Indiana
    I can within reason.

I used to be decent buddies to a first-hand witness. As in, my buddy was IN the vehicle with the guy when it happened to him. Both of them are former INGO members - and I won't name either one.

Guy had some kind of striker-fired gun in a Big Big Big Big name kydex pancake holster. A) I do not know the brand of gun, B) I do not know if there were any modifications to said gun, C) I do not know what kind of belt was being worn

What I do know is that, somehow, as the guy was getting in to a vehicle, either the seat bolster or the B-pillar was pushing enough on the holster to cause the trigger to be pushed, which fired the gun, which resulted in him being shot in the leg. At the time, dude was kind of fluffy - so that may have been a contributing factor in how the holster flexed. Big body pushing back on the seat bolster trying to sit down, the belt and the rear half of the holster flex too much in just the wrong place - and BANG.

I personally cannot see how the holster could flex in such a manner, but it did. I currently own at least 1 of those holsters, and, in the past, have owned several others for various makes/models of gun.

There will be plenty of folks who'll say that the above didn't happen. That's fine. You do not have to believe me. My info is the result of an in person conversation with a guy that was physically there.

Plenty of current INGOers know/knew these two no-longer-active members, too - though I do not know how many know about the incident.

Thank you for the further explanation. I am not questioning your story, just trying to wrap my head around how that could actually happen. Same thing with the link hpclayto posted above with the guy shooting himself with the iwb kydex holster. My personal kydex holsters seem solid as a rock and I do not see how it could happen if the trigger guard is covered properly. In a perfect world, it would be nice to see a picture of the actual holsters involved and know if the guns were fully holstered or not at the time of the discharge.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I can within reason.

Though, to be fair, I can't see where the striker control device would help in this specific scenario, as there was outside pressure on the holster and no one was holstering the weapon and would not presumably be holding the device with their thumb.

I guess, I could see it being helpful on the initial holstering of a weapon in a deformed kydex holster if someone was holding it (basically the first holstering of the weapon after a kydex holster got somehow deformed).

Last edited:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I guess I'm a "if it ain't broke don't fix it guy". Anytime there's more moving parts you increase the possibility for a failure. If you feel the need and want to spend close to $100 on a gadget it's cool but not for me. Relying on any sort of mechanical device to override operator carelessness is something that I personally try to avoid.

Fair enough. I would like to make it clear though that I would not suggest relying on a mechanical override alone over proper discipline. That was never my intention. I would say the same thing for a firearm with a manual safety as well. Proper holstering technique should always be encouraged.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Thank you for the further explanation. I am not questioning your story, just trying to wrap my head around how that could actually happen. Same thing with the link hpclayto posted above with the guy shooting himself with the iwb kydex holster. My personal kydex holsters seem solid as a rock and I do not see how it could happen if the trigger guard is covered properly. In a perfect world, it would be nice to see a picture of the actual holsters involved and know if the guns were fully holstered or not at the time of the discharge.

I can't wrap my head around it either, honestly. I've not seen the holster, the gun, nor talked with the guy it happened to. But, I trust that it happened.

Though, to be fair, I can't see where the striker control device would help in this specific scenario, as there was outside pressure on the holster and no one was holstering the weapon and would not presumably be holding the device with their thumb.

I guess, I could see it being helpful on the initial holstering of a weapon in a deformed kydex holster if someone was holding it (basically the first holstering of the weapon after a kydex holster got somehow deformed).

Correct. I thought I'd mentioned that it wouldn't have helped in this instance (I think maybe I did in my first post in this thread). This story was in response to "accidental discharges never happen" BS. Because they do.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    For contact shots with a semi-auto, one technique is to back up the slide with the off hand to keep it from being pushed out of battery so the shot can be fired. I can see this device interfering with that scenario. For that reason alone, I'm not interested in this device. There's only so much you can do to a handgun to make it "safer" before you detract from it's capability to be instantly "dangerous" - which is why handguns are carried to begin with.

Additionally, I'm generally leery of adding aftermarket anything to a reliable system as it has the potential to induce mechanical failure. Every additional component has a finite probability of failure. Second reason I'm not interested.

Holstering is also an action that should be done very deliberately and while ensuring a clear path into the holster. No points are awarded on the range, or in life, for jamming one's handgun back into the holster in a flash. I the defensive context, re-holstering should be done "reluctantly." Ones equipment/setup should minimize obstructions to the path of the handgun into the holster. One reason I don't ever use a hybrid holster, btw.

Back in the day, people still managed to AD/ND while reholstering DA-only semi-autos, and before that DA revolvers.

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    For contact shots with a semi-auto, one technique is to back up the slide with the off hand to keep it from being pushed out of battery so the shot can be fired. I can see this device interfering with that scenario. For that reason alone, I'm not interested in this device. There's only so much you can do to a handgun to make it "safer" before you detract from it's capability to be instantly "dangerous" - which is why handguns are carried to begin with.

Additionally, I'm generally leery of adding aftermarket anything to a reliable system as it has the potential to induce mechanical failure. Every additional component has a finite probability of failure. Second reason I'm not interested.

Holstering is also an action that should be done very deliberately and while ensuring a clear path into the holster. No points are awarded on the range, or in life, for jamming one's handgun back into the holster in a flash. I the defensive context, re-holstering should be done "reluctantly." Ones equipment/setup should minimize obstructions to the path of the handgun into the holster. One reason I don't ever use a hybrid holster, btw.

Back in the day, people still managed to AD/ND while reholstering DA-only semi-autos, and before that DA revolvers.

So when you say no hybrid, I take it you will only use 100% kydex/plastic holsters? Just confirming.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    So when you say no hybrid, I take it you will only use 100% kydex/plastic holsters? Just confirming.

Rigid holsters whenever possible. One of the potential drawbacks of the hybrids is the eventual softening of the comfy back material to the extent it can impede the path of the pistol back into the holster.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Just received the device and it appears to be well designed and made. Seeing it up close and installed I'm fairly confident that it will do what it was designed to do without issue. I understand it's not for everyone and i still intend to use proper holstering discipline as well.

Not to worried about mechanical failure with this device anymore than I would be with anything else after seeing how it is designed in person. There are some notable individuals within the firearm training community that have fired countless rounds with this device installed and are impressed with the concept and how well it functions. Even the guy that had a hand in the concept was a well respected instructor. The late Todd Louis Green.

Here's Jeff Bloovman's take on the device.

[video=youtube;hQEiiKUcOBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQEiiKUcOBE[/video]

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Rigid holsters whenever possible. One of the potential drawbacks of the hybrids is the eventual softening of the comfy back material to the extent it can impede the path of the pistol back into the holster.

Ok, just wanted to clarify. I use a hybrid quite a bit and never had an issue with the backer softening that much. Not that it could not happen...

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Regardless of having the device or not I have been holstering my Glock with my thumb on the back of the slide and my trigger finger extended forward so it comes naturally to me anyway. Having the feedback from the device is an added benefit to what I already do. It works for me.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Take your holster out of your pants when you reholster your appendix carry gun.
    Exactly. When I disarm it stays in the holster. Never leaves the holster, ever, unless I’m shooting or cleaning. Gun stays in holster, holster comes off belt, holster/gun go on nightstand. Wake up, grab holster/gun and put it on. No chance for trigger to ever engage anything. Less holster wear.

Also, I’ve seen these rear plate safeties before. I own a few glocks, my edc is a Gen 5 G19. From all the research I did before getting into glocks, the only time I ever heard of a malfunction in the safety mechanics is when the gun was altered in some way. My glocks are as safe as I am, I’d rather not change their proven design attempting to correct me being unsafe with my handling. If it’s an accidental discharge it’s an avoidable discharge, and no amount of safeties will make up for a mental mistake. My 2 cents

Top Bottom