• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    I have several Glocks and one Kahr. Both are excellent guns. Kahrs come at a significantly higher price for the equivalent gun. I doubt there is much difference in the matter of holding value, but I'm sure others can speak to this better than I. I'm not really much of a trader.

Glocks are highly reliable. Kahrs have a good reputation, but there's no way they can be MORE reliable than Glocks. They are probably not any LESS reliable, either.

I'd say you should just please yourself.

One thing that was brought up when I bought my Kahr: the company is at least partly owned by the Unification Church, known as the Moonies. This may not be an issue for many people, but for me it is a deal killer. I don't intend to purchase another Kahr. Or at least a new one.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    that and dependability.

Point to Glock on that one. Kahr recommends a 200 round break-in period for their guns before counting them as reliable, and says to expect issues during that period. Additionally, I believe the small polymer frame Kahrs (PM9/40) are really pushing the edge of the size/reliability envelope and seem to suffer a far higher number of issues than their full-size counterparts.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I have several Glocks and one Kahr. Both are excellent guns. Kahrs come at a significantly higher price for the equivalent gun. I doubt there is much difference in the matter of holding value, but I'm sure others can speak to this better than I. I'm not really much of a trader.

Glocks are highly reliable. Kahrs have a good reputation, but there's no way they can be MORE reliable than Glocks. They are probably not any LESS reliable, either.

I'd say you should just please yourself.

This ^, also agree with Shooter521 on dependability.

:ingo:

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    Kahr PM's are holding their value, the rest of the Kahrs, CW, P, MK etc are not so much . Nice pistols, but they are not Glocks.

If I could trade my CW9 for a 26 right now, I would, my CW9 isa great pistol for me size wise, I just like the Glock better

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    If I could trade my CW9 for a 26 right now, I would, my CW9 isa great pistol for me size wise, I just like the Glock better

If Glock ever makes a small single-stack 9mm/.40, I will have 2 Kahrs for sale.

Conversely, if Kahr ever makes a gun with a "safe action" style trigger, I will have 2 DAO Kahrs for sale.

I like the Kahrs for what they are and for the niche they fill, but I'm still a Glock guy at the core.

schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    If Glock would make a single stack 9 I wouldn't even consider this a question worth considering. As it is, it seems to me Kahr is leading the pack in deep concealment non-.380 handguns.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    it seems to me Kahr is leading the pack in deep concealment non-.380 handguns.

I don't know if I'd go that far. They are a serious contender with a good product, but the price is a big turn-off to a lot of folks. Having the CW series at a lower price point has certainly helped, but I still sell MANY more Taurus 709s and Kel-Tec PF9s than I do Kahrs.

Wheezy50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County

Conversely, if Kahr ever makes a gun with a "safe action" style trigger, I will have 2 DAO Kahrs for sale.

I like the Kahrs for what they are and for the niche they fill, but I'm still a Glock guy at the core.

I'm still learning, can you explain the difference in Glock's "safe action" trigger vs. Kahr's DAO?????

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport

My Sentiments exactly, I can not find a better 9mm than the Kahr CW9, maybe the PM9 but it is too pricey and you only save 1.8 ounces of weight and 1/2 inch height and length.

But I dislike the Kahr trigger, and you can not rack the slide to load a round, other than that, it is a fantastic 9mm pistol. I do like the 3.6 long barrel, it is great for improved accuracy.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana

I have a PM9 and really like it... I'm not sure I'd sell it if Glock made a single stack 9/40. But, I would definitely be buying that single stack Glock just as soon as I could get my hands on it. :D

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I don't know if I'd go that far. They are a serious contender with a good product, but the price is a big turn-off to a lot of folks. Having the CW series at a lower price point has certainly helped, but I still sell MANY more Taurus 709s and Kel-Tec PF9s than I do Kahrs.

Kahr's are, indeed, pricey. My PM9 was an expensive gun... but it sure feels well made and extremely tight. Racking that friggin slide was no fun for the first hundred rounds!

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I'm still learning, can you explain the difference in Glock's "safe action" trigger vs. Kahr's DAO?????

In my thread on trying to choose between the Walther PPS and the Kahr PM I discussed the trigger. Basically the Kahr has a very long and heavyish trigger. The reset was long too. It was smooth, but that level of travel is problematic for me, being very used to Glock triggers or single action triggers. The PPS had the trigger most like Glock's which made the difference for me. The Glock's trigger is longer than a 1911s or other single action triggers, but it's still relatively short as it's not a true double action trigger.

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    Kahr's are, indeed, pricey. My PM9 was an expensive gun... but it sure feels well made and extremely tight. Racking that friggin slide was no fun for the first hundred rounds!

Just be aware, If you do not want to carry one in the pipe, then a Kahr pistol may not be the best Self Defense for SD.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    In my thread on trying to choose between the Walther PPS and the Kahr PM I discussed the trigger. Basically the Kahr has a very long and heavyish trigger. The reset was long too. The Glock's trigger is longer than a 1911s or other single action triggers, but it's still relatively short as it's not a true double action trigger.

The two guns are fairly similar in terms of operation but differ in execution, which results in the dramatically different trigger pulls between the two systems.

Kahr:
    vg_KA-2E_sub.gif

Six U.S. Patents cover Kahr’s unique locking, firing, and extraction systems. The incomparable cocking cam trigger system employs a cam to both unlock the passive safety and finish cocking and releasing the firing pin. The system provides a "safe" and unbelievably smooth double action only trigger stroke, fast to fire in critical defensive situations.

Kahr's patented "offset barrel" design places the trigger mechanism beside the barrel lug, raising the shooter's hand close to the centerline of the bore. This, with the ergonomically designed grips, results in a remarkable degree of shooting comfort and control with reduced muzzle flip and felt recoil.

Glock:
    Sniperworld.com Glock resource

The “Safe Action” system is a partly tensioned firing pin lock, which is moved further back by the trigger bar when the trigger is pulled.
    When the trigger is pulled, 3 safety features are automatically deactivated one after another. When doing so, the trigger bar is deflected downward by the connector and the firing pin is released under full load. When the trigger is released, all three safety features re-engage and the GLOCK pistol is automatically secured again.

Top Bottom