• ...and so much more!
  • inccwchris

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    Southside of Indiana
    SIDERLOCK | The Additional Safety for Glock pistols

Wrong! I had a Siderlock installed on the new G21SF Gen 4 I picked up at the gun show today. The reason I had it installed is that the hang up I have always had with Glocks is the lack of anything other than a gentle trigger pull to keep them from firing in an unintentional manner. I train to always maintain my trigger discipline, if I drop a gun, I let it hit or break the fall with my foot so I don't grab the trigger, but accidents happen. I bought it to guard against the minute possibility of causing the gun to go off unintentionally while not holstered, I only intend to engage the lock when NOT carrying the pistol but when I still need to have it out and accessible, such as now when I am sitting here on my computer. The disengaging of it is simple as you simply brush the side of the trigger to release it then continue sliding the finger onto the trigger and pull back. I never liked Glocks until I shot a G21 and finding a cheap low round count gen 4 was amazing, this device allows me to get around my mental block of "the trigger is too light, need safety" that goes off in my head when I think about a Glock. Now, even though I do not intend to carry with that device engaged it still shuts up that voice in my head. I am happy with it so far, but I want to know what your opinions are. My mind is made up on the issue, but I still want to know what your opinions are on these. Does anyone else use one of these? BTW, showed it to Que, I'm not sure he liked it. Haha.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I could not get their sight to pull up. I did see pictures with a google search. Reckon I will take pass.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I'm fine not having a safety. My revolver doesn't have one either. Just another thing to worry about in a tough situation. Another part to break or malfunction.

My gun stays holstered. My whole holster comes off my belt. And the gun stays in until I am ready to put it back on In the morning.

If I have it out of the holster it would be to clean it. And it would be unloaded.

Thanks for the link though, interesting.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Each to their own, but definitely not for me. I didn't realize it was possible to do something to a Glock to make me like it even less.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    IMO, If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

There's nothing wrong with the Glock design, as long as you follow the 4 safety rules a Glock will never accidentally fire.
    That aftermarket safety is just one more thing that can fail in a life or death situation, and Mr. Murphy is already an unforgiving bastard.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    Finally an idea who's time has come! You have to put your finger in the trigger guard to engage the safety. Nothing could go wrong there, especially if the gun is loaded!

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    IBTFF = In Before The Fire Fight

I couldn't imagine having a button on my actual trigger itself. No thanks.
    Thumb Safety maybe but not my trigger.

BTW - Some Glocks did come with a factory external safety.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I can't say that I like it, but I certainly would not put you down for deciding that you want it on your gun. The only guns I like to have a safety is the 1911, but that's just me.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    -1 for this. if someone is so afraid of mishandling a firearm i'd suggest they look elsewhere than glock, and really, if that is the main concern, i'd suggest a knife.

this is pointless.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Now, even though I do not intend to carry with that device engaged it still shuts up that voice in my head. I am happy with it so far, but I want to know what your opinions are. My mind is made up on the issue, but I still want to know what your opinions are on these. Does anyone else use one of these? BTW, showed it to Que, I'm not sure he liked it. Haha.

My first few guns had safeties, but this is the reason I can no longer carry with a safety. That voice in my head always had me wondering if I had mistakenly left the safety on. So, I would check it out, pulling the gun from its holster, which isn't all that safe, IMO. Even at the range, I would try to train using it, but realized disengaging the safety was a step that would increase my time to put a round into the target. So, then I would stop training like that and still wonder if I had mistakenly placed the gun on safe. It got crazy, so I just got rid of any carry gun I had with a safety. Problem solved!

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    I have a warm and fuzzy anytime I have a Glock close.

If this gives you a warm and fuzzy then I'm happy for you.

Last edited:

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Ten Ring Precision » Glock Pistol Work
    Glocksafety.jpg

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Shouldn't safeties be bigger? Bigger is easier to operate. I like the big wings on a 1911. My thumb can't miss them.

Maybe this Glock safety is the sort of thing you need to try out. Somehow it doesn't make me warm and fuzzy.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Sounds like the infamous "Glockdoc" has struck again. As a previous poster stated, I would be asking myself "did I disengage the safety before I put it in the holster". It also seems akin to the same argument that is made for not carrying one in the chamber. Something else to remember in what could be a very chaotic situation. The 4 basic safety rules, training and trigger discipline is what I suggest where any firearm is concerned. If I was that worried about the 3 integral Glock safeties not being adequate I would get an M&P with the factory engineered thumb safety. I consider altering factory safety protocol above my (engineering) pay grade.
    BUT if it makes you feel more secure personally, it's your call. I just know it wouldn't work for me and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer
    NRA Certified pistol instructor 1911 Mechanic

Last edited:

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    You have to put your finger in the trigger guard to engage the safety. Nothing could go wrong there, especially if the gun is loaded!

;)

There's nothing wrong with the Glock design, as long as you follow the 4 safety rules a Glock will never accidentally fire.
    That aftermarket safety is just one more thing that can fail in a life or death situation, and Mr. Murphy is already an unforgiving bastard.

;)

Top Bottom