Glocks - Magazine Picky? INGO thoughts please..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Long story super short - I noticed a Glock 22 magazine was jamming consistently in my handgun.. see https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/345613-glock-mags-refurb-replace.html for details.

So with the opportunity to shoot and hang with fellow INGOers, I set out for the NWI INGO shoot at Winamac today. Of the 7 magazines I have (one which I already assumed to be bad) 2 of them caused failures in my Glock. To be fair, they're AWB-era magazines with the fun "LEO ONLY" markings, so they've been around a while. 2 of the mags that shot without incident were also AWB-era - the other 3 were all newer and were also okay.

So, just for :poop: & :):, I loaded the failures up and tried them in my Kel-Tec Sub2000. I fully expected them to fail there - I was quite surprised when they ran just fine, several times over.

I'm not a Glockoholic, but I do appreciate the ruggedness of the design. I know a couple of cops (names withheld, of course) who haven't stripped or cleaned their guns since they were issued, and they look it - yet they fire without problem whenever they qualify with them. It DOES surprise me a little bit that the Glock would be more magazine sensitive than the Sub2000.

What are your thoughts, INGO? Were the AWB-era magazines of a lesser grade? Are the Kel-Tec carbines just that easy-going? Are newer Glocks less tolerant of older magazines? What's going on here?

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Do not fall in love with your magazines.

They are wear items.

Rebuild them or take the tin snips to them.

What Kirk said. Magazines wear out. It happens. Change springs or get new mags.

I don't think you can necessarliy compare the magazine function from one gun type to another. There could be geometric or cycle rate differences that allow a weakend spring or worn out mag to get the bullet up in place in time for the one but not the other.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Do not fall in love with your magazines.

They are wear items.

Rebuild them or take the tin snips to them.

Wise words, but then I don't expect anything less from Kirk. Magazines are consumables. I don't have any experience with the Sub2000, but Glock OEM mags are cheap. Buy plenty when you see them for good prices... if you look hard enough, you should be able to find them at about $22 a mag, for new OEM mags.

I'd just mark the bad ones to differentiate them and if they work in the Sub2000 just keep them for that.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    HMMMMMMMMMMMM ? We discussed the problem mag, but these other (LEO/GOV rest) marked mags would have been issued 1994-2004, I use some like that daily, and three especialy at the range last thursday, all out of my 2 GEN (MCSD surplus) G-22. All were fine, did you get these two surplus, as mine were issued and I still use them after all these years. I wish I could inspect them for you, anyway what generation is your Glock-22? These mags should work just fine in any G-22 but just wondering. Glad you had a day out to shoot, been to that range years ago for a GSSF match. If you decide to get rid of those offending mag(s) LMK, I can use more range mags, and only discard cracked or really worn around the feed lips ones. Or (send them all to Glock if they exchange the other one).

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    I agree than mags do wear out over time and need rebuilt or replaced. That being said, I have shot glocks for 25 years and have NEVER had to replace a magazine made by Glock. Maybe I am lucky but that has never been an issue on my glock mags.

8th SPS USAF

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hobart , In
    One of our local PD's was having same problem. They replaced the mag spring and the recoil spring ( if the recoil /pistol has many rnds through it) and all the problems stopped. Good luck

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    One of our local PD's was having same problem. They replaced the mag spring and the recoil spring ( if the recoil /pistol has many rnds through it) and all the problems stopped. Good luck

The above^^^^
    After 15 years they deserve a rest.. Personally I would put new springs and followers in the mags and check the RSA, even though you are probably good to go at that point I would designate the mags "range only" but that's just me.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] –[/FONT] Certified Glock armorer

jjtroy912

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 8, 2013
    Ft. W
    The 22 slide has a tendency to run really fast, this causes jams if your magazines are getting old and weak, or if you stiffen up the frame by mounting a light or other accessory. I think the 22 does best with a stiffer (19 or 20lbs) recoil spring and/or just replace the magazine springs with some +10% wolff springs.Good luck.

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    I'd be interested in hearing the results if you decide to change the springs. I bought a G23 used and fired ~2000 rounds without an issue. My friend bought the same model new and has had issues with one of the mags from day 1.

FreeFAL

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 12, 2014
    Indianapolis
    With the exception of mec-gar for sigs, I always go factory.

All I have heard about aftermarket mags for glocks is that the KCI mags are GTG if you replace the spring with a Wolff

Top Bottom