• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lpherr

Occupied
    I've seen a lot of pics, with the shooter wearing gloves.
    Does this inhibit finger placement on the trigger? Not being able to feel as well?
    Does it make it more difficult to hold the grip? It seems it would reduce the hold or wrap of the fingers from making the grip larger with the added material.
    Are there issues getting the finger into the trigger guard?
    Or is it just some photographic cool factor?

Your opinions, and any pro/cons?

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I shoot using mechanics gloves as well. They don’t have much insulation value on a cold day but when your hands are sweaty they do help with my grip. Since they are designed to be used with tools they have decent “tactile“ feel through them.

As a bonus they keep your trigger finger free of all that soot from shooting.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    All of those questions are probably going to depend on your gloves, and your firearm.

I have found that my grip is more consistent during training (less sweat/grease) and with aggressive checkering, far less skin abrasion on my hands & fingers. Some gloves may reduce the tactile feedback from your firearm controls (trigger, safety, releases, etc.), some may be too bulky to fit in the trigger guard.

Just like training in the rain & cold, if you wear gloves outdoors / in the wintertime it's a good idea to train that way so you learn those lessons before the gunfight.
    If you never wear any gloves, it may not be worth your while. :dunno:

Lpherr

Occupied
    I typically don't wear gloves, unless I'm going to be out in freezing temps for extended periods (i.e. shoveling snow).

Mechanix gloves don't allow me to have feel or dexterity. That's why I wondered about feeling the trigger.
    I've even tried using latex gloves for simple tasks as brakes, or plugs on my vehicles, but I just can't feel what I'm doing
    in the tight places that I can't get a visual.

I haven't fired the AR yet, but I can understand maybe fatigue or the abrasion problem. My hands don't sweat when shooting a hand gun, but that could also change with a rifle. 15 rounds vs. 30 at a time.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Best way to answer your questions is to get out to the range and try it.

I also use Mechanix gloves from time to time because my primary range is outdoors and it gets darn cold in the winter. Not a ton of insulation but at least it keeps the wind off the skin.

I recently did cut off the material of the tip of the index finger on each glove to keep my trigger finger exposed from about the middle knuckle up. It wasn't so much about wanting my bare finger on the trigger, it was more about the fact that I use a shot timer app on my phone and I need to be able to swipe, change settings, etc. without taking my gloves off every time.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I wear gloves for some guns, have a pair of mechanic gloves with the finger cut out. Why? I shoot a variety of rifles and calibers and some just beat your hands to death.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have a pair of these that I use and wear them in the winter. I wouldn't mind seeing how their winter version is (that I don't believe was out when I got mine). I use this a lot in the winter, even though they are not a particularly warm glove but they do protect hands from abrasion, etc in Winter. I have good dexterity with them.

They allow somewhat decent use of a touchscreen.

Good hand protection for when I'm helping my wife pick up signs outside in Winter for her business.

So, I wear these in Winter when doing something outside and practice with them occasionally for that reason.

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I've used baseball gloves, and have used golf gloves which are thinner and gives you more feeling. Both will not work for cold weather use the cold goes right through them if you want warmth.

Edit:
    I'm think about trying neoprene gloves for winter shooting.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2022
    Right behind you
    I've seen a lot of pics, with the shooter wearing gloves.
    Does this inhibit finger placement on the trigger? Not being able to feel as well?
    Does it make it more difficult to hold the grip? It seems it would reduce the hold or wrap of the fingers from making the grip larger with the added material.
    Are there issues getting the finger into the trigger guard?
    Or is it just some photographic cool factor?

Your opinions, and any pro/cons?

I never train/practice/compete with a handgun while wearing gloves.

I've tried it, and gave it an honest evaluation, which is why I don't do it. It's just too disruptive of the draw and necessary manipulations, too dependent on the exact type of gloves worn, and too demanding of training time to get it right for a situation (temporary cold hands) that is no big deal.

When it's frigidly cold, I'll either wear gloves that are easy to toss, or more practically just do without and keep my hands in my pockets with handwarmer packs in there.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I never train/practice/compete with a handgun while wearing gloves.

I've tried it, and gave it an honest evaluation, which is why I don't do it. It's just too disruptive of the draw and necessary manipulations, too dependent on the exact type of gloves worn, and too demanding of training time to get it right for a situation (temporary cold hands) that is no big deal.

When it's frigidly cold, I'll either wear gloves that are easy to toss, or more practically just do without and keep my hands in my pockets with handwarmer packs in there.
    For EDC, I'd generally agree. Having a pair that toss quickly, especially if adverse weather, is not a bad idea. I would further agree that in "defensive pistol" training I would not use them. Unless your job has you wearing them all day, then by all means.

Contrariwise, if I wear running all all day carbine clinic I would most certainly have on some of the basic Mechanix gloves. I also practice shooting my hunting rifles with gloves given the natural setting.

Just depends on your why. Train accordingly.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2022
    Right behind you
    For EDC, I'd generally agree. Having a pair that toss quickly, especially if adverse weather, is not a bad idea. I would further agree that in "defensive pistol" training I would not use them. Unless your job has you wearing them all day, then by all means.

Contrariwise, if I wear running all all day carbine clinic I would most certainly have on some of the basic Mechanix gloves. I also practice shooting my hunting rifles with gloves given the natural setting.

Just depends on your why. Train accordingly.

Rifles and shotguns are a completely different matter. I used to seriously compete in NSCA sporting clays and I wore thin leather gloves (typically batting gloves) every time I shot clays.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Rifles and shotguns are a completely different matter. I used to seriously compete in NSCA sporting clays and I wore thin leather gloves (typically batting gloves) every time I shot clays.

I've done some slight glove work with pistols, only because it was transitional from rifle to handgun. Had to get a feel for the larger picture. Didn't want to go in handicapped

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    There is quite a variety of Mechanix gloves. Wonder if we can get some further detail from the professionals upthread on their style of Mechanix gloves worn?

Tight fitting? Easy on/off?

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    There is quite a variety of Mechanix gloves. Wonder if we can get some further detail from the professionals upthread on their style of Mechanix gloves worn?

Tight fitting? Easy on/off?

My go-to pair. I know they are not the "fast-fit" version, but still very easy to manipulate. I don't much like the flared cuff of those. Keep it tight with these.

CWMC

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2022
    Jasper county
    I have trouble handling a firearm safely wearing gloves. Tried Mechanix, and even removed the trigger finger. But I still wasn't comfortable.

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Mechanix gloves here too if I have to wear gloves. Fast fit for ease of on off. They certainly don’t keep your hands hot on a cold day but better than nothing. Put a pair of latex gloves on underneath helps a tad too.
    Impact version and original work just as well but I find it easier to get the fast fits on and off.

Top Bottom