• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rarejewell

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2015
    Metro Indy
    If I want to continue to shoot in the colder months, I need a pair of gloves. My hands get cold very easy, along with the rest of me. But I am looking for recommendations. I would prefer gloves specifically made for women as the tend to find better than those made for men. Any suggestions would be great!

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    Nomex flyers gloves are hard to beat. They're "warm enough" and provide enough dexterity to wear while shooting. They're not going to be warm enough when you're not shooting (so cover them with bigger wool gloves or mittens, place hands in pockets) but should be adequate when it's "go time."

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    As is always my recommendation, if you are trying to keep an extremity warm, first warm your core, and a close second is to avoid restricting blood flow to the affected area.

"Tactical" gloves, "Mechanics" gloves, etc. typically fail at that second part, including, from the looks of it, the SKD gloves above. (though SKD makes some really good gear)

I have had excellent luck with standard military wool liners. NOT the thin ones...I'm talking about the Rothco 70/30 Wool-Nylon D3 liners. Like these: Amazon.com: Rothco G.I. Glove Liners Black-2: Military Coats And Jackets: Clothing

I know, they aren't very "go fast", and they probably aren't "cool", but they work. They also and aren't so costly that if you lose one you are angry about it. They wash and dry just fine. They are still moderately warm when soaking wet (trust me, I've tested that part fully, down to very low temps). And again, on the cost: buy several to take to the range...if one set gets soaked in the rain, then throw on a dry pair.

Of course, being liners, they do fit will under a variety of larger heavy gloves if you find yourself shooting in sub-20 temps, or in a lot of wind.

The Nomex pilot gloves are very heavily recommended by a lot of shooters as well, so I won't go against that, but I won't go for it because I've never used them personally.

I've STOPPED wearing and tossed more "go fast" or "hunting" gloves than I have ever kept, by the way. I am somebody that has, for various reasons related to sharp objects, severely damaged capillary flow in multiple digits; his has been an ongoing R&D project for me for about 20 years.

-Nate

Last edited:

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I've used Under Armour Extreme Cold Gear gloves for a few years. While the dexterity lacks a bit, it's not so bad that you can't fit them in a trigger guard or feel the trigger at all. They keep my hands warm and dry which is what I wanted the most. The way I figured, as long as my hands were warm, I'd at least be comfortable enough to get used to shooting with them. They weren't cheap as far as gloves go, but they work.

Amazon.com : Under Armour Extreme Coldgear Gloves, Black/Reflective, Large/X-Large : Sports & Outdoors

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Any glove will help a little in cool temps but if it really gets cold gloves cannot keep your hands warm. Especially if they're holding a piece of cold metal. Or maybe you're talking about a plastic gun?

lester

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Greencastle
    My favorite gloves, for almost any temperature (maybe not a hundred beliow, but most temps...) are nomex aviators.

I wore them for years in the army, hot or cold, and still wear them when I shoot these days.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    One "trick" that a some of our guys do...AT&T outside techs....is put a handwarmer pack or two on their wrists. They hold them in place with an athletic sweat band like these..Amazon.com: Suddora Wrist Sweatband - Athletic Cotton Terry Cloth Wristband for Sports (Black)(1 Piece): Sports & Outdoors

When I used to waterfowl hunt I used a muff with a heatpack or two in it and wore light mechanics style gloves for a little better grip....keep your hands in the muff in between your turns to shoot.

http://www.amazon.com/Heat-Factory-Fleece-Lined-Hand-Warmers/dp/B0049HPWQ2

mutt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Runners gloves from under armor or similar manufactures do a passable job of wind blocking and keeping metal from sticking to you if the that cold and have the highest degree of dexterity

the US Navy paid to me to wear nomex gloves for a few years way back when

those gloves work damn well. Not as good dexterity as this thin runners gloves but much better warmth

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I have several pairs of SKD PIG gloves, and I think they offer the best touch/feel/dexterity this side of surgical gloves. They also offer a version with conductive thread that allows you to reliably operate a smart phone/touch screen. BUT, they're not durable, and they're decidedly not warm. They are relatively expensive, especially when you factor in their short lifespan. I absolutely love them in the early spring and fall, and if I wore gloves in the summer they'd probably be a great choice then as well. But if it's cold, they're barely better than nothing. In my opinion, the OP is looking for something warmer...

...something that includes the word "Thinsulate."

If I were looking for glove to wear while shooting for my wife, I'd probably look for "driving gloves" that were designed for a woman's hand and lined with thinsulate... the PIG gloves fit my wide palm and vienna sausage fingers, but are totally wrong for my wife's hand.

Here's a few choices...
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...2011,n:2474963011,k:driving+gloves+thinsulate

Last edited:

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I have cold sensitivity in my hands. My right ring finger will turn blue it's so bad. I've struggled to find decent gloves.

That said, I have several different types and while I haven't done a review of gloves, if you are interested, click ahead to 5:10 and you'll see my thoughts on gloves and charging handles, which I cover several gloves and some cold weather options that work for me.

[video=youtube;uQw5GbYsOqI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQw5GbYsOqI[/video]

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Runners gloves from under armor or similar manufactures do a passable job of wind blocking and keeping metal from sticking to you if the that cold and have the highest degree of dexterity

the US Navy paid to me to wear nomex gloves for a few years way back when

those gloves work damn well. Not as good dexterity as this thin runners gloves but much better warmth

I have some runners type gloves from underarmor. If you aren't exercising, they are about useless below 35 degrees, aside from keeping metal from sticking which is an excellent thing to point out.

I have several pairs of nomex gloves. I find them a decent mix of dexterity and very cool weather but once it gets below 28ish, they don't do much at all. Everyone has a different thought when they "cold".

To me, Shooting at 25+ degrees isn't.... cold cold. At least, if I can keep my hands warm, I don't consider it cold.

To me the "cold" shooting comes in under 25 and especially in the teens. I did a video on the CTT custom AIWB holster and I was wearing those Under Armor gloves (I think), it was in the mid 20's and about 12" of snow on the ground that day. I was out for about an hour filming. That was all I could take with those gloves but the dexterity is second to none.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Years ago we used old socks which had worn out under our gloves. Made the holes big enough to fit my fingers and thumb and then then put gloves over those. They kept cold from getting up the sleeves of my coat when I was outside working. To this day I'm reluctant to throw old socks away.

Top Bottom