• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I don't like it. Thems little nascars peoples are scary like midget clowns.

Yeah besides a 3" tal Kevin Harvick.....:):

I really do not put a lot of miles on my vehicles anymore. The pick up sees more street time than the Van does. Both engines are just north of 100K. The van is around 111K I think and the truck is 130K plus. They have seen regular 3500/4000 mile OC cycles since I have owned them.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    OK....while we are on the subject of oil and change out frequency what do you guys think of Mobile 1's new 1 year oil. Leave it in for a year.

As long as it stays fairly clean, not driven hard, I can almost see it. I change the oil in my vehicles twice a year. Early spring and late fall. I've done that for a long time and have never had any oil related issues.

In a side note, a bypass filtration system on a semi truck can make the oil last a VERY long time. Sample the oil at a lab every 25,000 miles and change the spin on filters. Top off the oil and keep trucking. One of the local guys does this and has 645,000 miles on his oil without changing it. It burns a gallon about every 9,000 miles. His samples always come back clean. When the engine holds 11 gallons of oil, he has saved a lot of money on oil over the years.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I change the Mobil 1 oil in the wife's car every 5K. It's a 3.5 V6 in a Lexus. Holds almost 7 quarts. It looks about the same coming out as it did going in. I have thought about having Blackstone test it to see how long it could really go. But for the price of oil, a filter, and the 15 minutes it takes to change it, I'll do it for my piece of mind.

meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    Took the car on a good and long drive to get it warmed up this morning. Stopped ticking and haven't noticed it since. I'm going to monitor the oil level for awhile and see what happens, hopefully it doesn't come back

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Well, I just can't buy into the year long oil idea. Maybe on a hybrid, CNG or Propane autogas. Those engines burn a lot cleaner. I have seen some vans with CNG and some with propane and after 4k miles it looks as clean as when it was new. On a conventional engine, I will stick with 3500-4k intervals. Another concern would be can the filter continue to do it's job under those conditions. I wonder how the manufacturers would treat a warranty claim if year long oil is used

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    High mileage car

I would use 5w-40 diesel oil and a bottle of Lucas.
    Have used this on many like 50 plus cars and trucks shuts up all the ticking and oil burning
    Light oil is a myth for EPA reasons look at the same engine in Australia or Europe.
    Here it will be 5w-30 or 5w-20 there 10w-40 or even 15w-50.

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    On a similar topic I have been seeing some v6 Dodge chargers that have been burning oil. Long story short Dodge claims that it's normal to burn 1 qt of oil for every thousand miles. So a 6qt system that goes unchecked can be 3qts low when it's time to change it. That's bad enough but worse for those who stretch it out to 5-6000 mile intervals.

Well it's Dodge.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    High mileage car

I would use 5w-40 diesel oil and a bottle of Lucas.
    Have used this on many like 50 plus cars and trucks shuts up all the ticking and oil burning
    Light oil is a myth for EPA reasons look at the same engine in Australia or Europe.
    Here it will be 5w-30 or 5w-20 there 10w-40 or even 15w-50.

I admit I too think the EPA is a big reason manufacturers keep going to thinner oil. However, many newer engines will set check engine lights if using the wrong oil. It can cause issues with variable cam timing solenoids and systems that shut down cylinders while cruising. Some of the new GM stuff is using 0w20. Also, it frees up a little horsepower that's why many pro stock teams have started using 0w20

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I admit I too think the EPA is a big reason manufacturers keep going to thinner oil. However, many newer engines will set check engine lights if using the wrong oil. It can cause issues with variable cam timing solenoids and systems that shut down cylinders while cruising. Some of the new GM stuff is using 0w20. Also, it frees up a little horsepower that's why many pro stock teams have started using 0w20

Have you ever been involved with the class index guys.They run the pan short to totally dump pressure when the pump clears the pan about 850 ft or so. ")" pressure. at the line.

Top Bottom